743B parking brake

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Wayne440

Could or could not be. Depends on what is wrong with it.

For instance- if it needs adjustment, easy and cheap----if it is worn out, "hard" and not cheap.

foton

the 743b that I adjusted the brakes on the adjusting nut was frozen on like a piece of threaded rod , I really had to be careful with it so I would not shear it off, lots of pb blaster rocking it back and forth slowly but got it to move. I think it was never adjusted since 1992 that was about two years ago.

portsample

Similar experience as foton w/my 743B. There was no place on the rod for a wrench to secure it while torque is applied to the nut. I put a big set of Vise-Grips on the rod, then Kroil around the nut. Waited a few hours, applied torque, warmed it slightly with a torch, then put on more Kroil, waited... eventually it loosened. Ospho'd and repainted afterwards.

dfb

My 742 was just out of adjustment, once I readjusted it with the nuts it holds great. As I recall, the entire mechanism is housed under the fwd most chain case access cover. removing this cover was not a big deal when I took mine off to get inside the chain case.
Could be yours was simply never adjusted and that is all it will take.