743B Hydrostat pump seal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

snuffbox

Been awhile since I been on here, thanks for any input . I have a engine swap in progress from v1702 to v2203 and noticed the seal on the hydrostatic pump behind the engine coupler is seeping and wanting to change it My question is how does the seal come out ? I don't see any retaining ring so does the whole pump section have to come out and seal drive in from inside the pump housing? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
You need to remove the drive coupling first, loosen the bolt a few turns and install a gear puller. Pull on the splined coupler and hit the threaded part of the puller to shock the coupler off, it is a taper fit.
Once off, there will be a circlip that you need to remove, drill a small hole in the seal and screw in a self tapping screw and use pliers to pull the seal out. Once out, tap the new seal in. I installed the circlip in the housing when I was close and slowly tapped on the clip so as the seal went into place, the clip snapped into the groove.
Loader parts source have the seal, once the old seal is out, oil will slowly leak out, so have your seal on hand before you pull the old one out.

OP
OP
S

snuffbox

You need to remove the drive coupling first, loosen the bolt a few turns and install a gear puller. Pull on the splined coupler and hit the threaded part of the puller to shock the coupler off, it is a taper fit.
Once off, there will be a circlip that you need to remove, drill a small hole in the seal and screw in a self tapping screw and use pliers to pull the seal out. Once out, tap the new seal in. I installed the circlip in the housing when I was close and slowly tapped on the clip so as the seal went into place, the clip snapped into the groove.
Loader parts source have the seal, once the old seal is out, oil will slowly leak out, so have your seal on hand before you pull the old one out.
Tazza thanks a lot ,I guess the drive coupling is blocking me from seeing the circlip.

OP
OP
S

snuffbox

It sure is, with it off, you'll see it.
Tazza thanks for the help on changing the hydraulic seal. My next question on the engine swap is how to make the v2203 out of a light plant that is constant speed 1800 RPM to variable speed to have enough RPM"s for the skid steer. The governor arm in the v1702 has a slotted opening for the double governor springs and the v2203 only had a single spring and just a round hole for the single spring in the governor arm.I have the governor plate and dual springs of of my v1702, and does the fuel rack lever need to have more travel to open the fuel rack further. I"m sorry for the long winded question.

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza thanks for the help on changing the hydraulic seal. My next question on the engine swap is how to make the v2203 out of a light plant that is constant speed 1800 RPM to variable speed to have enough RPM"s for the skid steer. The governor arm in the v1702 has a slotted opening for the double governor springs and the v2203 only had a single spring and just a round hole for the single spring in the governor arm.I have the governor plate and dual springs of of my v1702, and does the fuel rack lever need to have more travel to open the fuel rack further. I"m sorry for the long winded question.
I'm actually not sure if you need the double spring to run it correctly, the max speed should be set with screws on the plate, so if you adjust that, it should allow it to rev higher.