743b grinding chain case to drive Mtr seal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Murjosh

I moved about a year ago and cant find my repair manual to get an idea of what the H is goin on inside this machine. I replaced the drive chains and bearings a while back. Then, eventually, the seal(s) behind the drive motor started leaking and overflowing the chain case with hydro fluid. After 5 or 6 times of replacing them, my thick skull has finally concluded I must have forgotten some shims or something durring the chain/bearing job I did. But I can't find a diagram that shows me what could be rubbing against the seals . It's as if something inside the chain case has too much end play. That's a lot of work to go thru without knowing the cause for sure. This little machine has been too handy to let sit and rot. And helps appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
Being a 743B, do you have case drain filters on the small lines coming from the drive motors? If they get blocked, they can build up pressure and blow out seals.
With the drive motors off, was the motor carrier shaft tight? if bearings wear here, they can allow the shaft to move and the seal could leak.

OP
OP
M

Murjosh

Being a 743B, do you have case drain filters on the small lines coming from the drive motors? If they get blocked, they can build up pressure and blow out seals.
With the drive motors off, was the motor carrier shaft tight? if bearings wear here, they can allow the shaft to move and the seal could leak.
Thanks Tazza, The wear on the seal looks more like grinding and its not on the rubber part as if the shaft is out of center. It's on the metal perpendicular to the shaft as if there is too much end play and something inside on the shaft is wearing on the metal portion of the seal. Metal on metal. I'm looking for one of the old seals to get a pic. Probably sitting next to the manual. I'll have to check the filters but don't think that's what's going one. It's happening on both sides/motors. That's what's got me puzzled. I didnt replace those bearings tho. Just the wheel bearings.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Tazza, The wear on the seal looks more like grinding and its not on the rubber part as if the shaft is out of center. It's on the metal perpendicular to the shaft as if there is too much end play and something inside on the shaft is wearing on the metal portion of the seal. Metal on metal. I'm looking for one of the old seals to get a pic. Probably sitting next to the manual. I'll have to check the filters but don't think that's what's going one. It's happening on both sides/motors. That's what's got me puzzled. I didnt replace those bearings tho. Just the wheel bearings.
That seems very odd, the only part from the motor that should move is the dog bone from the drive motor. If there was too much end play, i can see it touching the motor housing, but it would have to be a lot i'd think.

7LBSSMALLIE

That seems very odd, the only part from the motor that should move is the dog bone from the drive motor. If there was too much end play, i can see it touching the motor housing, but it would have to be a lot i'd think.
it has to be carrier shaft end play. easy check. and cant go any further untill verified.

OP
OP
M

Murjosh

The contact is taking place on the chain case side. I'm really in the dark without a manual but you guys are really turning the lights on especially with the terminology. "Dog bone" I never would have guessed that but it makes perfect sense.

OP
OP
M

Murjosh

The contact is taking place on the chain case side. I'm really in the dark without a manual but you guys are really turning the lights on especially with the terminology. "Dog bone" I never would have guessed that but it makes perfect sense.
Carrier shaft end play sounds logical. I did a quick search and couldn't find a procedure to check it. Does it require removing the plate on top of the chain case? Got tolerances/specs? I guess replacing the bearing will be the remedy. Jeez I miss my book. It's just seems odd both sides go at the same time.

OP
OP
M

Murjosh

Pardon the resurrection. I've finally gotten a chance to tear into the problem. I believe 7lbssmallie was on the right track. I've removed the inspection plate and drained the fluid. Planning on removing the carrier assemblies tonight. Still haven't found my manual but will be moving again and hopefully it will turn up soon. I don't understand what keeps the carrier shaft(s) stable. Is there a rod going thru one side to the other ,inside the shafts themselves??? I've seen the exploded diagram in others threads Any others tips would be helpful(e.g. End play tolerance check procedure). MUST . GET. MACHINE. RUN....IN..G

Tazza

Staff member
Pardon the resurrection. I've finally gotten a chance to tear into the problem. I believe 7lbssmallie was on the right track. I've removed the inspection plate and drained the fluid. Planning on removing the carrier assemblies tonight. Still haven't found my manual but will be moving again and hopefully it will turn up soon. I don't understand what keeps the carrier shaft(s) stable. Is there a rod going thru one side to the other ,inside the shafts themselves??? I've seen the exploded diagram in others threads Any others tips would be helpful(e.g. End play tolerance check procedure). MUST . GET. MACHINE. RUN....IN..G
The carrier has a bearing both ends of the shaft, it will all be clear when you get it out and the seal out.

OP
OP
M

Murjosh

The carrier has a bearing both ends of the shaft, it will all be clear when you get it out and the seal out.
Thanks for the help. Parts are being ordered today. It was obscene, the wear the left side bearing(s) had. Outter virtually fell out once placed on the press. I assume it had something to do with the chain that had broken and gotten wedged between the rear sprocket and the bottom of the case(iirc). It locked that side down totally. The force generated from getting it loaded(drug) onto/off the trailer MIGHT have caused/contributed to the damage. Can't believe it went unnoticed during chain replacement. Stupid tax paid in full. Right side wasn't as bad. The bottom carrier bolts were tricky but I was more determined. Lot easier of a fix than I had anticipated. Thanks again!!!

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the help. Parts are being ordered today. It was obscene, the wear the left side bearing(s) had. Outter virtually fell out once placed on the press. I assume it had something to do with the chain that had broken and gotten wedged between the rear sprocket and the bottom of the case(iirc). It locked that side down totally. The force generated from getting it loaded(drug) onto/off the trailer MIGHT have caused/contributed to the damage. Can't believe it went unnoticed during chain replacement. Stupid tax paid in full. Right side wasn't as bad. The bottom carrier bolts were tricky but I was more determined. Lot easier of a fix than I had anticipated. Thanks again!!!
I'd like to think a broken chain woldn't wear the bearings out like that, i'd suspect low oil or contaminated oil?
Good to see you are doingboth sides and not just one and hope the other would be ok.