743B Fluids?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I just bought a 743B bobcat at auction and want to clean it of all old fluids(engine oil,hydraulic, antifreeze, ect.) before I start using it. The problem is that I do not have a manual for it yet and dont know what to use and how much. I plan on getting most or all of my fluids and filters at Napa because I have had no problems with their products in the past on my JD 4430 or autos. Plus when I need parts or fluids on the weekends i can get what i need unlike my local bobcat dealer. Any help would be appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
Kubota recommends 15W40 DIESEL grade engine oil. It must be diesel grade for the engine. This oil will also work fine in your chain case and hydraulics. Others will say use hydraulic fluid, my dealer used this oil from when the 743's arrived in Australia in the 80's. Others here run hydraulic oil, depending on your climate, if it gets cold hydraulic oil may be fine, it gets rather warm here in summer and not too cold in winter.

OP
OP
M
Kubota recommends 15W40 DIESEL grade engine oil. It must be diesel grade for the engine. This oil will also work fine in your chain case and hydraulics. Others will say use hydraulic fluid, my dealer used this oil from when the 743's arrived in Australia in the 80's. Others here run hydraulic oil, depending on your climate, if it gets cold hydraulic oil may be fine, it gets rather warm here in summer and not too cold in winter.
Tazza I quess I should have been more specific. I live in southern minnesota,usa and the the temps in the summer can get as high as 100F and in the winter as low as -30F. Im goiong to use it all year round pushing snow in the winter and barn cleaning, yard work, cleanup and land scaping in the summer. Would a synthetic be better or is that just a waste of money. I typically run rotella t 15w40 in my semi so thats what i will most likely use on the motor. Any idea on how much fluid the chain case and hydraulics hold.

farmboy55

Tazza I quess I should have been more specific. I live in southern minnesota,usa and the the temps in the summer can get as high as 100F and in the winter as low as -30F. Im goiong to use it all year round pushing snow in the winter and barn cleaning, yard work, cleanup and land scaping in the summer. Would a synthetic be better or is that just a waste of money. I typically run rotella t 15w40 in my semi so thats what i will most likely use on the motor. Any idea on how much fluid the chain case and hydraulics hold.
I Shell Rotella in all my deisel engines and when I change hyd fluid I use AW 46 Chevron, My 853 & S185 have never had a problem with it.

rnbuck01

I Shell Rotella in all my deisel engines and when I change hyd fluid I use AW 46 Chevron, My 853 & S185 have never had a problem with it.
You could probably run 10w30 in your engine, chain case and your hydraulics if you wanted to.

2005DMAX

You could probably run 10w30 in your engine, chain case and your hydraulics if you wanted to.
10-30 oil is too light for diesel engines. I would stick with the 15-40. I have always used Shell Rotella 15-40 for years. I recently made the switch over to Mobile Delvac 1300 15-40 as I feel it is a better oil. I have a 753 and would assume the levels to be about the same. A manual can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=31fe914bdce0f59019747bd91027d4ddf46528a8107c8e29 I belive the hydraulic/hydrostatic system takes 14 quarts, the chain case takes 8 gallons. Engine oil on my 753 was 7.5 quarts. The cooling system says to use propylene glycol, but I flushed mine and put in ethylene glycol (automotive antifreeze). Ethylene glycol has better heat transfer properties than propylene glycol. Just remember, the two do not mix well, so make sure whatever you add, it is the correct product.

rnbuck01

10-30 oil is too light for diesel engines. I would stick with the 15-40. I have always used Shell Rotella 15-40 for years. I recently made the switch over to Mobile Delvac 1300 15-40 as I feel it is a better oil. I have a 753 and would assume the levels to be about the same. A manual can be downloaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=31fe914bdce0f59019747bd91027d4ddf46528a8107c8e29 I belive the hydraulic/hydrostatic system takes 14 quarts, the chain case takes 8 gallons. Engine oil on my 753 was 7.5 quarts. The cooling system says to use propylene glycol, but I flushed mine and put in ethylene glycol (automotive antifreeze). Ethylene glycol has better heat transfer properties than propylene glycol. Just remember, the two do not mix well, so make sure whatever you add, it is the correct product.
if you dont run it that often 10-30 is ok