743 water temp

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Living Proof

i don't have a water temp guage yet but after running for an hour or so i can hear water boiling. i can open the radiator cap and it is full and it doesn't come spewing out or steaming or anything could the water pump be bad and not moving water?

Tazza

Staff member
Personally I'd replace the thermostat if you have any doubts. The water pump could be bad, but you'd need to pull it off to see for sure. Get your temperature gauge working, even install a new temp sender! they are cheap insurance.
With a new sender and gauge, if the temp is high, it could be the thermostat, radiator is plugged, or water pump.
Sorry, there is no definite answer but don't let it get too hot! Kubota heads crack easily when they get hot!

Fishfiles

my first guess , would be an externally dirty radiator , the boiling sound could be water by passing to the overflow tank

OP
OP
L

Living Proof

my first guess , would be an externally dirty radiator , the boiling sound could be water by passing to the overflow tank
well when i bought this machine about a month ago i pulled the access panel off and cleaned the radiator externally with air and vaccuum. as for the thermostat shouldn't it be under the top hose, i guess someone took it out. when it does sound like it is boiling water is going to the overflow so are you saying that sound is normal?

vettes

well when i bought this machine about a month ago i pulled the access panel off and cleaned the radiator externally with air and vaccuum. as for the thermostat shouldn't it be under the top hose, i guess someone took it out. when it does sound like it is boiling water is going to the overflow so are you saying that sound is normal?
almost sounds like you have air trapped in the system?

Tazza

Staff member
almost sounds like you have air trapped in the system?
It should be under the belled out alloy housing that the top hose connects to. 2 bolts and the housing will come off, it should be in there. If its not, you really should install one. Bubbling can be trapped air, but it could be an exhaust gas leak into your cooling system, this is worst case though. And as said, it could simply be your radiator pushing water into the over flow tank, it can make odd sounds.

Fishfiles

It should be under the belled out alloy housing that the top hose connects to. 2 bolts and the housing will come off, it should be in there. If its not, you really should install one. Bubbling can be trapped air, but it could be an exhaust gas leak into your cooling system, this is worst case though. And as said, it could simply be your radiator pushing water into the over flow tank, it can make odd sounds.
There are two ways I check for pressure getting into the cooling system the first is one of them exhaust gas detectors , it is a fairly cheap tool that works well , you put a tube into the radiator throat and fill it with some special liquid , run the engine and if it changes colors then you have exhaust gases getting in , either a blown head gasket , cracked or warped head or a crack in the block would be some causes for that , the other tool is a radiator pressure tester , with it mounted to the radiator throat and pumped to the psi of the cap and the motor running it should not build up pressure ----------going back to a clean radiator , are you sure you got all the dirt out with compressed air , it may take a pressure washing , an what about an internally clogged up core -=---- agood test for the themosat is to remove it and open it with a screw driver , put a piece of thread or dental floss thru the opening and tie it to something that will lay over the top of a pot , boil water in the pot with a themometer and when it falls off the string note the water temp , I have not found many times that a thermostat was a probally

mrfixitpaul

There are two ways I check for pressure getting into the cooling system the first is one of them exhaust gas detectors , it is a fairly cheap tool that works well , you put a tube into the radiator throat and fill it with some special liquid , run the engine and if it changes colors then you have exhaust gases getting in , either a blown head gasket , cracked or warped head or a crack in the block would be some causes for that , the other tool is a radiator pressure tester , with it mounted to the radiator throat and pumped to the psi of the cap and the motor running it should not build up pressure ----------going back to a clean radiator , are you sure you got all the dirt out with compressed air , it may take a pressure washing , an what about an internally clogged up core -=---- agood test for the themosat is to remove it and open it with a screw driver , put a piece of thread or dental floss thru the opening and tie it to something that will lay over the top of a pot , boil water in the pot with a themometer and when it falls off the string note the water temp , I have not found many times that a thermostat was a probally
You said you removed the access cover to the radiator---did you get the ones just above the engine to get to the underside of the radiator/oil cooler? That's where the dirt collects.

OP
OP
L

Living Proof

You said you removed the access cover to the radiator---did you get the ones just above the engine to get to the underside of the radiator/oil cooler? That's where the dirt collects.
thanks for the replies, yeah the one i removed is in the engine compartment under the radiator, someone has took the thermostat out, i ran for about 4 hrs. the other day and it seemed fine, i really need to install a temp guage. i haven't had this machine long and don't know much about them. it seems to run good just some smoke and some blow by.

Tazza

Staff member
thanks for the replies, yeah the one i removed is in the engine compartment under the radiator, someone has took the thermostat out, i ran for about 4 hrs. the other day and it seemed fine, i really need to install a temp guage. i haven't had this machine long and don't know much about them. it seems to run good just some smoke and some blow by.
A little smoke and blow-by is normal. As long as it starts pretty easily, you will be fine.
Just get your temp gauge working! and install a new thermostat.