743 upgrade to S175 to do or not to do??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rickyboy

looking to upgrade to a S175 sell my 743 will I be sorry please help don't want to make a big mistake, 743 runs good small loss in power but always starts.

Tazza

Staff member
The power difference will be quite large, the 743s are great, easy to work on, no computers to worry about. The S175 has a computer and all the things that go with it, but it does make for a lovely machine. Extra power, faster travel speed, more aux hydraulic flow.
Personally i find that the modern engines start easier than the V1702. I have to give my V1702 a good glow ti start, the V2203s seem to start very quickly and easily.

skidsteer.ca

The power difference will be quite large, the 743s are great, easy to work on, no computers to worry about. The S175 has a computer and all the things that go with it, but it does make for a lovely machine. Extra power, faster travel speed, more aux hydraulic flow.
Personally i find that the modern engines start easier than the V1702. I have to give my V1702 a good glow ti start, the V2203s seem to start very quickly and easily.
They are a pretty good loader. Faster, bigger pump more lift and a longer wheel base are a plus (smoother ride) unless you have to do a lot of tight turning, then the short machines get the nod for less tire wear.
Heavier to haul (bigger truck and trailer maybe) and more weight on the same size tires won't help it float up on the soft ground though. Tracks can fix that one.
Just make sure all the guages work on there ar no error or warning lights. Make sure the auxilary hydraulics work and check all the things you would on any loader.
They are the 743 of this decade imo.
Ken

skidsteer.ca

They are a pretty good loader. Faster, bigger pump more lift and a longer wheel base are a plus (smoother ride) unless you have to do a lot of tight turning, then the short machines get the nod for less tire wear.
Heavier to haul (bigger truck and trailer maybe) and more weight on the same size tires won't help it float up on the soft ground though. Tracks can fix that one.
Just make sure all the guages work on there ar no error or warning lights. Make sure the auxilary hydraulics work and check all the things you would on any loader.
They are the 743 of this decade imo.
Ken
To further your question.

The s175 is most likely not fitted with the hi flow hydraulic option, but it will still have the button for that option. If the button does not light up when pressed then the button is likely not activated in the skidsteers computer. (dealer/factory must switch this on when fitting the option. The only way to know for sure if it is hi flow optioned is to look at the hydraulic pump under the cab to see if it is one or a 2 section pump, standard flow machines have a single section hydraulic pump. Also depending on the year most 'Hi Flow" models will have stickers outside somewhere saying so.

Most people don't need hi flow to run their attachments, just "auxilary hydraulics" which all s175's are fitted with.

Hi Flow is a second pump section (called a tandem pump) to increase the auxilary hydraulic flow, and is used for attachments that are designed to run at a higher hydraulic horsepower like a stump grinder, ashphalt planer etc.
If you want to brush mow or run a snow blower in a big way (note standard flow machines can run standard flow attachments and do these jobs, just slower because the hp to the attachment is lower) then a hi flow machine can be fitted with a hi flow attachment which allows you to travel faster without bogging the attachment down. Note you must have hi flow attachments to take advantage of the hi flow pump option.
I say the s175 is likely not fitted because the non turbo engine is 46 hp and would be marginal in the hp dept for running a tandem hydraulic pump.
You should have a s185 for this, even then most are not fitted with the option, unless the new loader buyer has a real need for the $1500 upgrade or a second hand buyer has 2300 for parts plus the cost of 2 days labour to convert the machine.

It should be noted the s175 will produce way more hydraulic hp the your 743, likely 30% more.

Seach the forum on displaying trouble codes in the hour meter window, hopefully it has none. Often trouble codes are the result of a failing sensor, and are not valid (so "likely" no real damage, ) but still require new sensors and trouble shooting to get the "light to go out" This is the down fall of the computer machines. Sadly the monitoring systems can begin to breakdown in 2000 to 3000 hours and require new parts, but the computer stores all these faults and sometime even shuts the machine down becuase it thinks that say the machine is say "too hot" when in fact a chafed wire, poor wire conection or faulty sensor is the culprit. leaving you to decide if the code is valid or not, at some point you may find yourself conecting extra guages to check up on the sensors and computer. Fortunately the forum is a big help here.

Also avoid the electric joystick "hand or foot control" (for the boom and bucket) machines like the plague. seach forum for reasons.

Rev the engine to 1/2 throttle and engage the auxilary hydraulics, even if you don't have an attachment with hoses.

Just to see
1 if it engages, and
2 if it stops being engages when you pull the finger trigger a second time. You will hear the motor labour when you do this, but it would hurt anything to do it momentarily. If it won't engage or if it sticks on and won't disengage it has problems.

The check everything else like you would if you were buying any used loader.

Ken