743 update

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dirtbiker245

Well, im giving an update on my 743 project. I posted a few months back that I was trying to get the thing up and running after sitting for about 10 years. Im proud to report shes running great now! I replaced the hydraulic pump, all the hoses. and it all seems to be doing pretty good now :) Motor started right up once I primed the fuel system. I had to replace all the fuel lines as they were old and cracked. My question now is... Im looking into getting attachments and im wondering what attachments will fit the 743. I see alot of different things out there for sale... and dont want to buy one to find out its not gonna fit... Thanks in advance! :)

OP
OP
D

dirtbiker245

ALSO: I forgot to say, that once i start it, it runs perfectly fine, but when I turn the key to the off position, it doesnt turn off... it keeps running until I cut the air with the pull knob to the lower left front of seat. Anything I should check to fix this?

Tazza

Staff member
ALSO: I forgot to say, that once i start it, it runs perfectly fine, but when I turn the key to the off position, it doesnt turn off... it keeps running until I cut the air with the pull knob to the lower left front of seat. Anything I should check to fix this?
The standard 743 machines shut off with the pull cable on the left side near the seat. This turns the fuel off, the 743B machines use an electric fuel shut solenoid.
Essentially any attachment with the standard attach plate will fit, the only thing you won't run easily is electrically controlled ones. Your machine will do about 13GPM so it will not run hi flow attachments at their full potential. It will happily run an auger, back hoe, 4 in 1 bucket, grapple bucket, shear, log splitter plus more i haven't thought of. As long as it can lift the attachment you should be fine.
Can i ask where you got the pump done?
Glad the machine is up and running! they are simple beasts to work on and I'm sure it will serve you well.

OP
OP
D

dirtbiker245

The standard 743 machines shut off with the pull cable on the left side near the seat. This turns the fuel off, the 743B machines use an electric fuel shut solenoid.
Essentially any attachment with the standard attach plate will fit, the only thing you won't run easily is electrically controlled ones. Your machine will do about 13GPM so it will not run hi flow attachments at their full potential. It will happily run an auger, back hoe, 4 in 1 bucket, grapple bucket, shear, log splitter plus more i haven't thought of. As long as it can lift the attachment you should be fine.
Can i ask where you got the pump done?
Glad the machine is up and running! they are simple beasts to work on and I'm sure it will serve you well.
Thanks tazza. I didnt know that about the pull cable. I have only worked with boat diesels a little bit, and on those, they all turn off with the key, but have a cable as an "emergency stop" if the motor starts to run away on you. As far as the pump. I just bought a reman pump from some place i found online that had it in stock. I think it was about 400 bucks or something... it works just fine. I did all the labor myself... im a self taught 20 year old... haha. Sure... i make lots of mistakes... but none that cant be fixed. Not yet anyways. hahaha. Thanks for the information on attachments. We have a bobcat 909 backhoe that has been sitting around for about... 10 years just like the tractor... thats my next project. lol. It probably doesnt need to much... but I'll probably change out all the hoses just to be safe. One other question I have: -the driving sticks seem to be WAYYY out of adjustment... when I try to go forward, they hit the "metal ring" that goes around the sticks and prevent me from going full forward... I fiddled with the adjustments a bit but it doesnt seem to be changing it at all... I have the service manual... but that didnt seem to be helping either... its almost as if the sticks seem bent... or something... any advice? Thank you in advance!

OP
OP
D

dirtbiker245

Thanks tazza. I didnt know that about the pull cable. I have only worked with boat diesels a little bit, and on those, they all turn off with the key, but have a cable as an "emergency stop" if the motor starts to run away on you. As far as the pump. I just bought a reman pump from some place i found online that had it in stock. I think it was about 400 bucks or something... it works just fine. I did all the labor myself... im a self taught 20 year old... haha. Sure... i make lots of mistakes... but none that cant be fixed. Not yet anyways. hahaha. Thanks for the information on attachments. We have a bobcat 909 backhoe that has been sitting around for about... 10 years just like the tractor... thats my next project. lol. It probably doesnt need to much... but I'll probably change out all the hoses just to be safe. One other question I have: -the driving sticks seem to be WAYYY out of adjustment... when I try to go forward, they hit the "metal ring" that goes around the sticks and prevent me from going full forward... I fiddled with the adjustments a bit but it doesnt seem to be changing it at all... I have the service manual... but that didnt seem to be helping either... its almost as if the sticks seem bent... or something... any advice? Thank you in advance!
so... more news...: My dad came out and looked at the thing and says something isnt right. I guess its making alot more noise then it ever did before. And he is right... the hyrdaulics are VERY noisy... but I just figured that its normal.... Any suggestions? The bucket movement is VERY quick just like it was before... so bucket movement and arm movement is just fine. But the thing doesnt seem to move around quite right. While it DOES move backwards fine... its VERY sluggish at start, but then picks up... And the forward movement starts slow.. but stays slow... it never picks up. Im thinking it partly has to do with the out of adjustment sticks..

Tazza

Staff member
so... more news...: My dad came out and looked at the thing and says something isnt right. I guess its making alot more noise then it ever did before. And he is right... the hyrdaulics are VERY noisy... but I just figured that its normal.... Any suggestions? The bucket movement is VERY quick just like it was before... so bucket movement and arm movement is just fine. But the thing doesnt seem to move around quite right. While it DOES move backwards fine... its VERY sluggish at start, but then picks up... And the forward movement starts slow.. but stays slow... it never picks up. Im thinking it partly has to do with the out of adjustment sticks..
There is no real adjustment for the control stick travel, you can adjust however how far forward or backward the pump sits on the frame and the chain case. If you loosen the 4 mounting bolts you can slide it forward or back wards this will help with the sticks hitting the bottom of the hole they come out of. You can replace the 4 bushings at the pintle arms and the base of the sticks to remove any slop too.
Noise, does your hydraulic pump have a square block on the top? or does it have an elbow and a fat hose going to a block on the left side of the chassis?

OP
OP
D

dirtbiker245

There is no real adjustment for the control stick travel, you can adjust however how far forward or backward the pump sits on the frame and the chain case. If you loosen the 4 mounting bolts you can slide it forward or back wards this will help with the sticks hitting the bottom of the hole they come out of. You can replace the 4 bushings at the pintle arms and the base of the sticks to remove any slop too.
Noise, does your hydraulic pump have a square block on the top? or does it have an elbow and a fat hose going to a block on the left side of the chassis?
Oh, I bet moving the pump position will do it! :) I wasnt aware that it was adjustable, but that seems like it will solve the problem for sure. As for the noise. Yes, it does have a port block on the top.

Tazza

Staff member
Oh, I bet moving the pump position will do it! :) I wasnt aware that it was adjustable, but that seems like it will solve the problem for sure. As for the noise. Yes, it does have a port block on the top.
Ok, as you have the older style you have a hidden suction line filter. Left hand side, middle hose. Remove it and the fitting that screws in the port block. Behind there is a spring and bronze filter, you may need to remove it with pointy nose pliers. Watch the fitting doesn't fly out at you as there is a spring there. Replace or at least give the filter a good clean in kero or diesel and blow it down with air. That should fix your drive problem.
There isn't a heap of adjustment in the pump, but it may be the cause of your problem.
Do let me know how you go.

OP
OP
D

dirtbiker245

Ok, as you have the older style you have a hidden suction line filter. Left hand side, middle hose. Remove it and the fitting that screws in the port block. Behind there is a spring and bronze filter, you may need to remove it with pointy nose pliers. Watch the fitting doesn't fly out at you as there is a spring there. Replace or at least give the filter a good clean in kero or diesel and blow it down with air. That should fix your drive problem.
There isn't a heap of adjustment in the pump, but it may be the cause of your problem.
Do let me know how you go.
Alright, thanks alot. I'll work on getting that filter out today and getting the pump adjusted so that the control sticks move properly. I'll try and order a new filter. Do you know of any good places online to get it? or is the bobcat dealer the only place to go?

Tazza

Staff member
Alright, thanks alot. I'll work on getting that filter out today and getting the pump adjusted so that the control sticks move properly. I'll try and order a new filter. Do you know of any good places online to get it? or is the bobcat dealer the only place to go?
That filter i believe is dealer only. Even a good clean and blow down with air will work, i have done it myself. Its simply a bronze screen.

OP
OP
D

dirtbiker245

That filter i believe is dealer only. Even a good clean and blow down with air will work, i have done it myself. Its simply a bronze screen.
Alright... so I think i found the source of the vibration... heres some pictures... something is mickey mouse... what part am I missing?
Image 1: http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bobcat01ym8.jpg
Image 2: http://img398.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bobcat02ph9.jpg
On the second one, I circled in red where i suspect there to be a problem.. there is some kind of mickey mouse bracket holding that adjustment screw.... does somebody have a picture of one that looks right... AND does somebody have that part im missing? how much shipped to 91356 usa? lol

Tazza

Staff member
Alright... so I think i found the source of the vibration... heres some pictures... something is mickey mouse... what part am I missing?
Image 1: http://img390.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bobcat01ym8.jpg
Image 2: http://img398.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bobcat02ph9.jpg
On the second one, I circled in red where i suspect there to be a problem.. there is some kind of mickey mouse bracket holding that adjustment screw.... does somebody have a picture of one that looks right... AND does somebody have that part im missing? how much shipped to 91356 usa? lol
The part you will need is simply a bracket, it bolts to the front of the hydraulic pump, down then to the slotted section you showed a picture of. There are 2 engine mounts too, one each side. I'll try to get a piccie for you today. With sizes do you think you can fabricate one?