743 Ujoint update

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kap258

Monday went to Bobcat dealer and showed the parts guy the ujoint. Parts man agreed that it looked like the part failed. Ordered me a new one to be in Tuesday. Tuesday, I get new ujoint at no charge and he says he will check with the girl in the warranty department about the collateral damage that it caused (broken fan blades and leaking radiator) when it broke into pieces and slung around the shroud and call me. Wednesday, I hear nothing from them. Thurday, talk to the parts guy and he says he has made a mistake and that I need to pay for the new u-joint and I will be reimbursed when Bobcat reimburses them. ( Interesting warranty policy) Still no word from Bobcat on collateral damage. Friday, Parts man has spoke to Bobcat and they say there is no way the part could fail. Bobcat corporate guy will be in town in the next 2 -3 weeks and will be happy to show me how I installed it wrong and by the way you need to come in and pay for the new u-joint. Is Bobcat always this difficult to deal with? There are pictures of this ujoint in the media area if anyone would like to view.

siduramaxde

If he let you leave without paying for the part I wouldn't go back and give them money now. Don't pay. Bobcat is always way overpriced on their parts.

Tazza

Staff member
If he let you leave without paying for the part I wouldn't go back and give them money now. Don't pay. Bobcat is always way overpriced on their parts.
I would get the Bobcat guy to come out to show you what you *should* have done, when he has shown you i'd point out you did it that EXACT way and it failed. Point out that you paid extra for a genuine part when you could have gotten an aftermarket one for 1/2 the price but figured the genuine article would be better, but it failed and caused a lot of damage.
From the pictures it looks like a corner was torn off the mount, surly thats not normal, lit looks like a manufacturing fault. Even if the motor and pump are not in perfect alignment i can't see how this part would break. I can see the bearings wearing out but not a crack at the mounting point.

OP
OP
K

kap258

I would get the Bobcat guy to come out to show you what you *should* have done, when he has shown you i'd point out you did it that EXACT way and it failed. Point out that you paid extra for a genuine part when you could have gotten an aftermarket one for 1/2 the price but figured the genuine article would be better, but it failed and caused a lot of damage.
From the pictures it looks like a corner was torn off the mount, surly thats not normal, lit looks like a manufacturing fault. Even if the motor and pump are not in perfect alignment i can't see how this part would break. I can see the bearings wearing out but not a crack at the mounting point.
My thoughts exactly. Bobcat delivered the two u-joints connected to the coupler and that is where it failed. They could have torqued it to much.

mikie

My thoughts exactly. Bobcat delivered the two u-joints connected to the coupler and that is where it failed. They could have torqued it to much.
if their pre assembled part failed, i dont see how they can get out of warranty. i like the part where they told you they would show you how you put it in wrong. they knew it failed thats why they initally offered you compensation and then some bean counter in the office decidied that wouldnt be profitable. keep us posted. the used parts department at work gave me a phone number for a skid steer salvage in north dakota. they may be able to help you out on a flywheel. let me know if you want it. hang in there

OP
OP
K

kap258

if their pre assembled part failed, i dont see how they can get out of warranty. i like the part where they told you they would show you how you put it in wrong. they knew it failed thats why they initally offered you compensation and then some bean counter in the office decidied that wouldnt be profitable. keep us posted. the used parts department at work gave me a phone number for a skid steer salvage in north dakota. they may be able to help you out on a flywheel. let me know if you want it. hang in there
Yes, I will need that phone number. That was going to be my next move, to find a salvage yard. Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes, I will need that phone number. That was going to be my next move, to find a salvage yard. Thanks.
I agree, if it was pre-assembled it can't be your fault. If it sheared bolts from the fly wheel or adapter to the hydro pumps sure it could be said you did something wrong but it didn't fail there. I would talk to them and point all that out and see how you go. You don't want to buy a fly wheel and radiator to find that bobcat will warrant these items for failure of their parts. Sure, get prices but don't commit to anything just in case..... I do doubt they will come to the party and repair/replace the broken parts but its worth a try.
Do let us know how you go
Good luck!!!

mikie

here's that phone number. 701 427 5460. its called "buddys service". let me know if they do you any good. maybe i can come up with some more numbers if this one doesnt pan out, mikie.