743 steering issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Gouldy222

Newbie here. I've been looking for the answer but can't find it. I'm having major issues with the steering on my 743. As soon as I turn on the ignition, the hand controls are fully engaged and my skidsteer jerks all over the place. it functions but is pretty hairy trying to steer. I'm a functional mechanic but know people who can help me, they just don't know what's wrong or where to begin. Any suggestions about what can be wrong? Thank you for the help.

OP
OP
Gouldy222

Gouldy222

Download the service manual from the link in this post http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=66968
Look in the hydrostatic section on adjusting the steering linkage and repairing the pintle levers.
Excellent. Thank you; I've downloaded the manual and will let you know how things go. Can't rely on it to handle correctly as is, and I don't want to smash into the house. Thanks again for your help!

Tazza

Staff member
Excellent. Thank you; I've downloaded the manual and will let you know how things go. Can't rely on it to handle correctly as is, and I don't want to smash into the house. Thanks again for your help!
The 743 i recently got does the same, it has a lot of wear in the linkages that i need to replace. It's not a hard job to get it to go back to neutral, it just takes a bit of fiddling.

OP
OP
Gouldy222

Gouldy222

I fixed the steering issue...apparently a nut fell off the bolt that adjusts both steering arms..I hope this helps anyone else.