743 rattle whine trouble shoot help requested

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
D
Just don't drill too deep as there is a bearing about 1/2" further back from the seal, any swarf will be pushed out by the oil. Just have the seal ready to go in, the oil won't gush out, but it will flow a bit.
I found a nice way to get it to mount up square too, tap it in place with a punch then when its about far enough for the snap ring to locate it, push it in, then gently and slowly tap around it till it snaps in place. One part will engage first then simply tap around the other parts till it seats. I was amazed just how simple it was. I was expecting a battle to get it to locate.
One other note, make sure there are no burs from where the puller may touch the housing, give it a quick dressing with a die grinder or something, you don't want to damage the outer part of the seal where it presses into the housing.
Perfect details, your the Man !!!! Really ......thanks, I owe ya !!!!! dave hopefully this thread can help someone else in the future too! to think we all used to have to learn this stuff on our own, sometimes the easy way and sometimes the painfull way ! I'm getting over a cold tonite, and parts not in yet, but i will post the final story, for sure by the end of next week . dave

Tazza

Staff member
Perfect details, your the Man !!!! Really ......thanks, I owe ya !!!!! dave hopefully this thread can help someone else in the future too! to think we all used to have to learn this stuff on our own, sometimes the easy way and sometimes the painfull way ! I'm getting over a cold tonite, and parts not in yet, but i will post the final story, for sure by the end of next week . dave
Thats the great thing about the forum, 99% of the problems people have, someone has had something close to it before and can shed light on how to fix it. They may have done the job one way, another may have done it another way and found it easier. It all makes for great feedback.
I always do something then think i should have taken pictures. When your ahnds are covered in grease, the last thing you want to do is get the camera.

OP
OP
D
Thats the great thing about the forum, 99% of the problems people have, someone has had something close to it before and can shed light on how to fix it. They may have done the job one way, another may have done it another way and found it easier. It all makes for great feedback.
I always do something then think i should have taken pictures. When your ahnds are covered in grease, the last thing you want to do is get the camera.
Ok a little closer, broken bolt u joint to flywheel is out. clean hole The spline off the pump shaft was a little tricky, I put a puller on it loaded it up and some pretty good wacks with the hammer, deep creep a few days apart, still not wanting to let loose, I still did not want to sledge hammer it, so some ox-acetylene torch heat really quick less then a minute, the surrounding oil/dirt was just starting to bubble and smoke a little, then gave a couple of light taps to the side of the spline top and bottom, then that spline flew off about 2.5 feet nearly branded my arm and leg, the pump shaft was barely warm, but the spline sleeve was smok'n hot ! Next came the seal, the suggestion you guys gave me to drill a small hole and long sheet metal screw worked perfectly, then came installing the new seal, I screwed up and got it just a little cocked and ended up sinking it( i was expecting it to bottom on a flange or ridge) ,but no luck, so now its square but way past the snap ring groove and oil leaks from somewhere, Pull that new one out and back to Bobcat tommorow and get another seal and a little more finess this time. meanwhile oil will be seeping past the oil seal which i am using as a temp plug to save me some oil. more latter dave

Tazza

Staff member
Ok a little closer, broken bolt u joint to flywheel is out. clean hole The spline off the pump shaft was a little tricky, I put a puller on it loaded it up and some pretty good wacks with the hammer, deep creep a few days apart, still not wanting to let loose, I still did not want to sledge hammer it, so some ox-acetylene torch heat really quick less then a minute, the surrounding oil/dirt was just starting to bubble and smoke a little, then gave a couple of light taps to the side of the spline top and bottom, then that spline flew off about 2.5 feet nearly branded my arm and leg, the pump shaft was barely warm, but the spline sleeve was smok'n hot ! Next came the seal, the suggestion you guys gave me to drill a small hole and long sheet metal screw worked perfectly, then came installing the new seal, I screwed up and got it just a little cocked and ended up sinking it( i was expecting it to bottom on a flange or ridge) ,but no luck, so now its square but way past the snap ring groove and oil leaks from somewhere, Pull that new one out and back to Bobcat tommorow and get another seal and a little more finess this time. meanwhile oil will be seeping past the oil seal which i am using as a temp plug to save me some oil. more latter dave
With the new seal, tap it in slowly, use the snap ring as a backer and tap it in slowly, when its in place the snap ring will engage the groove in the pump. It will be nice and square then.
Glad you got the spline off, it can be rather tight!

OP
OP
D
With the new seal, tap it in slowly, use the snap ring as a backer and tap it in slowly, when its in place the snap ring will engage the groove in the pump. It will be nice and square then.
Glad you got the spline off, it can be rather tight!
OK The Final Update( good news ) WHat an experience, almost ruined another seal ,I used the snap ring as a backer after getting the seal square and just below the surface, during tapping the snap ring in pushing the seal the seal started to cock again!!! ( sort of like rolling pennies , they would rather go in sideways, the seal flange is designed way too thin for that application with no bottoming lip! Anyway after final setting the snapring, the seal was cocked about .040inch off the back of the snap ring on one side, I choose to run IT ! so far it runs great and no more herky jerky, I believe now the jerky travel came from the spline was so stipped out that any abrubt load change the engine would free wheel around the pump spline and the pump would instantly stall, like slamming on the brakes, come to think of it the herky jerky vehicle travel would happen in situations where I had good traction and under sudden load( meaning pot hole etc). When installing the engine, I painted the ujoint coupling orange so I could see it later thru a long skinny mirror and flashlite. I used a long string (no knots) looped once around the flopping end of the coupling so I could pull it like a puppet to line up the brand new splines but slip it out easily later. The engine slipped in in 4 minutes ! When I looked at the coupling it appeared the engine(Kubota) was 1/2 to 1 inch higher then the pump shaft, and the ujoint appeared bottomed to an extreme angle(not good! )(the old pump had wittness marks as it was slightly bottomed also but appeared it was in there a long time)(probaby why the splines wore out). I checked the pump rear end hanging bracket and it looked good and very difficult to get to to shim. My sollution was to shim the rear most part of the engine with a 1/8 thick washer, but not enough to shuv the coupling against the pump face,important. This put clearance in the ujoint of about 3/16 at its worst location, The machine runs smooth now and much quieter!!!! THANKS AGAIN ! until the next story of mine or someones dave

OP
OP
D
OK The Final Update( good news ) WHat an experience, almost ruined another seal ,I used the snap ring as a backer after getting the seal square and just below the surface, during tapping the snap ring in pushing the seal the seal started to cock again!!! ( sort of like rolling pennies , they would rather go in sideways, the seal flange is designed way too thin for that application with no bottoming lip! Anyway after final setting the snapring, the seal was cocked about .040inch off the back of the snap ring on one side, I choose to run IT ! so far it runs great and no more herky jerky, I believe now the jerky travel came from the spline was so stipped out that any abrubt load change the engine would free wheel around the pump spline and the pump would instantly stall, like slamming on the brakes, come to think of it the herky jerky vehicle travel would happen in situations where I had good traction and under sudden load( meaning pot hole etc). When installing the engine, I painted the ujoint coupling orange so I could see it later thru a long skinny mirror and flashlite. I used a long string (no knots) looped once around the flopping end of the coupling so I could pull it like a puppet to line up the brand new splines but slip it out easily later. The engine slipped in in 4 minutes ! When I looked at the coupling it appeared the engine(Kubota) was 1/2 to 1 inch higher then the pump shaft, and the ujoint appeared bottomed to an extreme angle(not good! )(the old pump had wittness marks as it was slightly bottomed also but appeared it was in there a long time)(probaby why the splines wore out). I checked the pump rear end hanging bracket and it looked good and very difficult to get to to shim. My sollution was to shim the rear most part of the engine with a 1/8 thick washer, but not enough to shuv the coupling against the pump face,important. This put clearance in the ujoint of about 3/16 at its worst location, The machine runs smooth now and much quieter!!!! THANKS AGAIN ! until the next story of mine or someones dave
Oh one more thing !!, Bobcat gave me 4 new bolts to bolt the coupling flange to the flywheel but they were Way too long, I had to double lock washer them to keep them off the back of the engine !!!!!!!!! and Loctited everything !

Tazza

Staff member
Oh one more thing !!, Bobcat gave me 4 new bolts to bolt the coupling flange to the flywheel but they were Way too long, I had to double lock washer them to keep them off the back of the engine !!!!!!!!! and Loctited everything !
There is a measurement that the end of the pump shaft should be from the bottom of the engine bay, i just can't remember off hand what it was.
I get a helper to slowly bump the engine in while i hold the coupler up, its really not as bad as most people think now is it?