743 "Clicking" instead of starting

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

calypso428

Hey guys its been awhile... been using my 743 for all kinds of good work for about the last 7 months since you all helped me get it going! Ive been having a problem for some time and I just now got around to asking about it.
Normal starting procedure, glow plugs for about 10-20 seconds depending on temperature and it will fire right up.... most of the time. Sometimes about 50/50 when I turn the key all I hear is a "click" or "thunk" from the engine compartment almost like a starter solenoid switch is going bad or something isn't making a good connection. If I keep turning the key making it thunk for a minute or so it will eventually make contact and start turning over. What is this ? The battery is fully charged in good shape with clean terminals by the way...
It will even do it after ive used it awhile and its warmed up.
Thanks,
Tee

Tazza

Staff member
Or just a bad connection on it or by the plugs on the left of the seat
WHen it happens, try jumping the starter. The small pin, jump it to the +ve terminal. If the starter spins, the solenoid on the starter is good. These have been known to fail in the past and actually burn the battery cables up.

7LBSSMALLIE

743 has a adapter plate between starter and rear eng mount plate prone to corrision. pull adapter and wire wheel it .

OP
OP
C

calypso428

this one has got me before. hence the reason i know it.
Thanks guys! I will check it out this weekend and report my findings!

On a side note I am wanting to get my lights working and one of my fuse holders next to the light switch is broken... any ideas where I could find an oem replacement? Would it be easier to just re run the entire lights wiring ? Do both of those fuses go to the lights or something else? My old light wires are all messed up ...

Thanks,
Tee

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks guys! I will check it out this weekend and report my findings!

On a side note I am wanting to get my lights working and one of my fuse holders next to the light switch is broken... any ideas where I could find an oem replacement? Would it be easier to just re run the entire lights wiring ? Do both of those fuses go to the lights or something else? My old light wires are all messed up ...

Thanks,
Tee
No need to go OEM on those fuse holders, go to an auto or electronics parts store and get a new pair of fuse holders and fuses.

headcaseracer

No need to go OEM on those fuse holders, go to an auto or electronics parts store and get a new pair of fuse holders and fuses.
Just a side note, a lot of these Bobcats have Delco- Remy starters. Delco has a great website that posts an entire manual for the starter for free. I just went through this last Monday. I was able to use the manual to pull everything apart on the starter and solenoid to clean it and inspect it. I replaced the solenoid only for $50. Saved me from having to pay over $300 for an entire unit.

frogfarmer

On the fuse holders when you pull them out they have female blade terminals and can be pushed right on to the blades of a standard blade fuse. Looks a little crude compared to the original holders but works great. As far as the starter goes if it has the old style direct drive you might consider installing one of the new gear reduction starters. Makes a world of difference in how they start and easier on the Batt. If your starter is good a new solenoid would be alot cheaper just make sure all the internal are right. A bent shift fork for the bendix will cause your problem because the solenoid cant pull the bendix far enough to engage the contacts at the back of the solenoid.