743 Question

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

KSsteve

I have a 743 with a V1702 that is hard to start. I have a few questions about the fuel system on this thing. 1. Is the pickup pump the round part on the injection pump? 2. Are there any check valves inthe fuel system? After sitting a while, I have to Pump the primer 20 times or so and crank for a while. It seems to start better with someone priming the bulb while trying to start. Do you think adding an electric fuel pump woudl help this any? If anyone has suggestions as to what to check I would be greatful, maybe save my starter in the mean time! Thanks in advance, Steve

skidsteer.ca

Steve
An electric fuel pump would cure it.
Sounds like the round diaphram pump needs rebuilt/ replaced or you may have a leak in the fuel supply or return line letting air get in the loop and the fuel to leak back down from the engine.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Steve
An electric fuel pump would cure it.
Sounds like the round diaphram pump needs rebuilt/ replaced or you may have a leak in the fuel supply or return line letting air get in the loop and the fuel to leak back down from the engine.
Ken
The round pump below the injector pimp is the lift pump. There is no reason for it to loose prime, if the lift pump was damaged you would be getting fuel in your engine oil. Check the valve on the injector pump where the fuel goes in, this must be closed, if its not you can get air in through your tap off lines. If everything is still rite, an electric fuel pump will work too, i have had 2 machines that had electric pumps installed when i got them. I removed them both and the machines still work 100%.
Check valves, there should be one in the fuel tank where the fuel gets picked up from, there will be another one in the lift pump to allow the fuel to travel one way, there is also one in the hand primer.

Fishfiles

The round pump below the injector pimp is the lift pump. There is no reason for it to loose prime, if the lift pump was damaged you would be getting fuel in your engine oil. Check the valve on the injector pump where the fuel goes in, this must be closed, if its not you can get air in through your tap off lines. If everything is still rite, an electric fuel pump will work too, i have had 2 machines that had electric pumps installed when i got them. I removed them both and the machines still work 100%.
Check valves, there should be one in the fuel tank where the fuel gets picked up from, there will be another one in the lift pump to allow the fuel to travel one way, there is also one in the hand primer.
I would bet you have a leak in your fuel filter or hoses or a bad pick up tube in the tank , you can get an adaptor for about $40 which will screw onto your fuel filter head and let a spin on water seperator filter fit in place of the Perkins style fuel filter set up that a 743 came with , which has a bowl , a filter and orings , they can be hard to seal up -------they were two check balls in a 743 fuel set up , one in the orignal screen filter on the end of the pickup tube and one in the primer bulb

OP
OP
K

KSsteve

I would bet you have a leak in your fuel filter or hoses or a bad pick up tube in the tank , you can get an adaptor for about $40 which will screw onto your fuel filter head and let a spin on water seperator filter fit in place of the Perkins style fuel filter set up that a 743 came with , which has a bowl , a filter and orings , they can be hard to seal up -------they were two check balls in a 743 fuel set up , one in the orignal screen filter on the end of the pickup tube and one in the primer bulb
I Put a new pickup tube in the tank yesterday. I will put a new primer bulb on today and see where that takes me. I will double check my filter and make sure it is sealed up. The fuel tank has rubber bushings that the pickup fitting goes into, How critical is a tight seal? One of the bushings it tore up pretty good and loose in the hole.

Fishfiles

I Put a new pickup tube in the tank yesterday. I will put a new primer bulb on today and see where that takes me. I will double check my filter and make sure it is sealed up. The fuel tank has rubber bushings that the pickup fitting goes into, How critical is a tight seal? One of the bushings it tore up pretty good and loose in the hole.
The bushing won't make a difference on sucking the fuel , only issue on that I could think of would be if water could get inot the tank form rain or washing around the loose fitting rubber bushing , I would look to the filter head assembly , there are some small orings on the bolts , if I remeember right there are about 5 different orings and square rings on that head , you could try by passing the filter head with an in line filter in it's place for a short while to see if the problem will go away

RobPg1967

"you can get an adaptor for about $40 which will screw onto your fuel filter head and let a spin on water seperator filter fit in place of the Perkins style fuel filter set up that a 743 came with "___________________________ By any chance would anyone have the part number of this fuel filter adapter ?

Fishfiles

"you can get an adaptor for about $40 which will screw onto your fuel filter head and let a spin on water seperator filter fit in place of the Perkins style fuel filter set up that a 743 came with "___________________________ By any chance would anyone have the part number of this fuel filter adapter ?
I don't have the part number in front of me but I buy them from a Donaldson filter dealer in Metairie , La , they ship world wide , give them a call , the number is 504-733-4120 and they will ship it or give you a part number