743 poor start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

alissa45

! have 743 which will start in but only after using glow plugsfor30 sec. In colder weather even plug in won't start unless I put a blower heater on engine. My friend has a 763 and his start on first crank even if its cold he claims it the same engine but placed sideway. Does anyone know why or do I have to adjust something or change a part or that just the way they are. thanks

skidsteer.ca

They are not quite the same engine, yours is a little smaller. Cold starting of a Kubota depends on the compression or the engine, the spray pattern or the injector, the condition of the glow plugs (or wether any are burnt out) and the rpm the battery can crank the motor over at.
How many hours are on your engine? How old is the battery? It seems from hearing the 743 guys talk as glow times are longer for them then the machines with the 2.2 litre Kubotas, even when in good shape.
Start with checking to see if power is going to all your glow plugs. Then disconect them from the wires and see if you can get a ground through each glow plug element by hooking you test like to the battery + and probing the wire conection on each glow plug. Some glow plugs when worn won't glow all the way to the tip and are no longer effective either. Most are fairly inexpensive to , $8 to $15 each..
Next inline would be testing your injectors. Tazza has a cleaning procedure he has posted somewhere here too. They should spray a nice find mist if they are working well. If your engine has 3000 or 4000 hours it may be time to changes them out for new ones. As they get worn they no longer atomize the fuel and can even burn pistons if they are leaking bad. But if your engine run nice once started they are not that bad yet.
Of course raising compression is the hardest engine wear problem to cure, causes are poor rings seal from worn pistons and bores and/or leaking cylinder head valves. The valves could be as minor as needing the lash set. And may be worth checking if your hours are getting up higher. Everything else is engine rebuild territory
In cold weather (30 to 40 f and lower) a block heater should be installed , @ $25 though most auto parts places. Well worth the saved agrivation.
Diesels also need good battery to have energy for the glow b4 the cranking load and need to spin the engine a good speed to aid cold firing)
Some points to consider
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
They are not quite the same engine, yours is a little smaller. Cold starting of a Kubota depends on the compression or the engine, the spray pattern or the injector, the condition of the glow plugs (or wether any are burnt out) and the rpm the battery can crank the motor over at.
How many hours are on your engine? How old is the battery? It seems from hearing the 743 guys talk as glow times are longer for them then the machines with the 2.2 litre Kubotas, even when in good shape.
Start with checking to see if power is going to all your glow plugs. Then disconect them from the wires and see if you can get a ground through each glow plug element by hooking you test like to the battery + and probing the wire conection on each glow plug. Some glow plugs when worn won't glow all the way to the tip and are no longer effective either. Most are fairly inexpensive to , $8 to $15 each..
Next inline would be testing your injectors. Tazza has a cleaning procedure he has posted somewhere here too. They should spray a nice find mist if they are working well. If your engine has 3000 or 4000 hours it may be time to changes them out for new ones. As they get worn they no longer atomize the fuel and can even burn pistons if they are leaking bad. But if your engine run nice once started they are not that bad yet.
Of course raising compression is the hardest engine wear problem to cure, causes are poor rings seal from worn pistons and bores and/or leaking cylinder head valves. The valves could be as minor as needing the lash set. And may be worth checking if your hours are getting up higher. Everything else is engine rebuild territory
In cold weather (30 to 40 f and lower) a block heater should be installed , @ $25 though most auto parts places. Well worth the saved agrivation.
Diesels also need good battery to have energy for the glow b4 the cranking load and need to spin the engine a good speed to aid cold firing)
Some points to consider
Ken
As Ken pointed out, the two engines are the same yet different. The never engine that your mates 763 has runs a different style of head/injector and larger bore. They seem to start easier than the older V1702s do. I can start my V2203 without glowing, get i can't get my V1702 to do this, even from the day it was re-conditioned. Its just the nature of the engine.
Now, you didn't mention how it runs when warm. If it runs well and starts easily after its been started for the first time that day, it sounds like your glow plugs are burnt out. They are cheap to replace, just a little difficult to access. They should glow rite to the tip. Long glow times make me think they may not be heating rite to the tip, i had this problem in a high hour machine, about 6,500 hours. When it was running it worked great, but starting it, it required glows of 30-60 seconds.
To test the glow plugs, pull them out and use a jumper cable to hold the body then touch the other end to the battery. They should glow all the way to the tip.
Injectors can cause isses too, if you get black smoke when running under light load you could need to get them cleaned. You can check your blow-by too, if you have smoke and a fair amount of air/gas coming out, your rings/bores are probably worn causing lower compression and harder starting.
Sorry, there are so many factors that can cause hard starting.

langoley

Where are you at Alissa?I happen to have a V1702 long block here in West Virginia that needs 1 sleeve (liner) but has had the head rebuilt.It was getting water in the oil and they thought the head gasket was bad,while it was off they had the head rebuilt.It has the injector pump,injectors,glowplugs,oil pan,rocker cover,thermostat housing got broken.It ran well,just got a little water in the pan.