743 operating temperature

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kap258

Does anyone know the operating temperature for a Kubota V-1702 in a Bobcat 743? It has a 180 degree thermostat in it. How much hotter will it run before I have problems and will be overheating the engine? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I don't know what the actual temperature should be, but it should read mid scale on the gauge. I think i got 190 degree F thermostats from my kubota dealer. I'm not 100% sure, but i do remember they were over the 180 degree one i removed.
Its not really a problem if it heats a little more, the problem is if it gets hot quickly causing thermal stress on the head, like from a burst hose. If that happens you have a problem! I can't see a few degrees higher will cause a problem.
If you are worried, change your thermostat and get your radiator flushed and tested, also check your water pump. There is no reason for it to run hot. I have never had a problem with mine climbing over mid temperature, that was even without the panels on the blower housing attached and it was working hard. I have bitted the covers now though.

OP
OP
K

kap258

I don't know what the actual temperature should be, but it should read mid scale on the gauge. I think i got 190 degree F thermostats from my kubota dealer. I'm not 100% sure, but i do remember they were over the 180 degree one i removed.
Its not really a problem if it heats a little more, the problem is if it gets hot quickly causing thermal stress on the head, like from a burst hose. If that happens you have a problem! I can't see a few degrees higher will cause a problem.
If you are worried, change your thermostat and get your radiator flushed and tested, also check your water pump. There is no reason for it to run hot. I have never had a problem with mine climbing over mid temperature, that was even without the panels on the blower housing attached and it was working hard. I have bitted the covers now though.
I have checked the thermostat by placing it in hot water and with a thermoneter and it opens at 180 degree F. I have gotten the radiator cleaned and tested by a radiator shop. How would I check my water pump?

Tazza

Staff member
I have checked the thermostat by placing it in hot water and with a thermoneter and it opens at 180 degree F. I have gotten the radiator cleaned and tested by a radiator shop. How would I check my water pump?
To check the pump, you really need to remove it and check the impeller fins are still there and not rusted off..
If i were you, i would change the thermostat first, a hot water test doesn't always mean its ok. Your temperature sender may also be bad, you're temperature may be correct and the sender may be telling you its not correct.
Just how much hotter does the gauge tell you its running?

OP
OP
K

kap258

To check the pump, you really need to remove it and check the impeller fins are still there and not rusted off..
If i were you, i would change the thermostat first, a hot water test doesn't always mean its ok. Your temperature sender may also be bad, you're temperature may be correct and the sender may be telling you its not correct.
Just how much hotter does the gauge tell you its running?
Key words that peaked my interest in your reply earlier was the panels for the blower housing. I put those back in place and what a difference it makes. I am now running at 190 degrees like it should. Something so obvious if I would have looked around my shop and noticed the spare parts. Thanks for all your help.

goodtech

Key words that peaked my interest in your reply earlier was the panels for the blower housing. I put those back in place and what a difference it makes. I am now running at 190 degrees like it should. Something so obvious if I would have looked around my shop and noticed the spare parts. Thanks for all your help.
Never get the kubota engines over 220 degrees you will have severe problems. There heads love to crack around the valves to the glow plug holes. A used head is hard to find and a new one on the average runs about 1800. That is about the only down fall I say that the 743's have. You overheat the engine it is done with usually, because after you crack the head, water seeps in the cyclinder, you go to restart it and it usually bends a rod or two. Just something to watch out for. if you think it is overheating go to your local harbor frieght and buy yourself a laser heat gun and check it, they are about 20.00 dollars and cheap insurance.

Tazza

Staff member
Never get the kubota engines over 220 degrees you will have severe problems. There heads love to crack around the valves to the glow plug holes. A used head is hard to find and a new one on the average runs about 1800. That is about the only down fall I say that the 743's have. You overheat the engine it is done with usually, because after you crack the head, water seeps in the cyclinder, you go to restart it and it usually bends a rod or two. Just something to watch out for. if you think it is overheating go to your local harbor frieght and buy yourself a laser heat gun and check it, they are about 20.00 dollars and cheap insurance.
Where do you measure the temperature? the head i suspect?
I'm a little concerned with the engine i just threw in a 743, it seems a little warm.

Latest posts