743 muffler

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

latrobe

I have 743b with a bad muffler. Has anybody ever bought a after market muffler for this machine? I can get one from BC (#6514737) for the tune of $165.00 , but would like to pay less if possible. I think Donaldson muffler is the OEM , but their website was no help to me. I looked on eBay for a Donaldson, but found none. Although I did see some Stanley mufflers that mite work with a little modification for about $50.00.
I don't want to weld coffee cans together, but I'm not against getting a little creative. Your ideas or help will be much appreciated

Fishfiles

I posted info on this topic a while back , I hate to type , look back , the answer to your question is yes , the Donaldson dealer in my area gets the exact same muffler for a 743 a few bucks cheaper , the part number is on the muffler if you can still read it

Tazza

Staff member
I posted info on this topic a while back , I hate to type , look back , the answer to your question is yes , the Donaldson dealer in my area gets the exact same muffler for a 743 a few bucks cheaper , the part number is on the muffler if you can still read it
Mine runs a nelson muffler, i guess you can call around to see if anyone handles nelson mufflers too.

Fishfiles

Mine runs a nelson muffler, i guess you can call around to see if anyone handles nelson mufflers too.
I 'd have to bet yours has a gas burner Tazza , I never thought of the fact that a 743 came with different motors , have only seen one the didn't have a diesel in it

Tazza

Staff member
I 'd have to bet yours has a gas burner Tazza , I never thought of the fact that a 743 came with different motors , have only seen one the didn't have a diesel in it
Na Fish, its a diesel. Kubota V1702. I have never owned a petrol powered skid steer.
I don't know if its because they were sold in Australia or not, i heard that years ago the ROPS and arms were made over here under licence, so i guess they could have used different engine parts too?

sterlclan

Na Fish, its a diesel. Kubota V1702. I have never owned a petrol powered skid steer.
I don't know if its because they were sold in Australia or not, i heard that years ago the ROPS and arms were made over here under licence, so i guess they could have used different engine parts too?
I got a universal muffler from the local parts store and some 90s for less than 40 bucks 20 min with the mig and presto no more headache.....Jeff

OP
OP
L

latrobe

I got a universal muffler from the local parts store and some 90s for less than 40 bucks 20 min with the mig and presto no more headache.....Jeff
Finding a after market muffler has been more of a hassle then I thought it would be. Can't find a local dealer of any muffler manufacture that can tell me if they got one that will work without wanting to look at the old one first. I don't think I'll be saving much money over OEM anyhow. So its plan B.
Plan B, I'm going to look for a off the shelf muffler that's close as possible to OEM and modify it to work. What I've found is 4 1/4" dia. muffler with side inlet and a outlet on the end. The overall length is about 10" shorter than the OEM so I can add a 90 degree outlet.
But I'm wondering about the shorter length making the exhaust much lauder then the OEM muffler. So before I start could anybody that has done something similar tell me if the sound level is acceptable to them. I'm cheap, but will pay for quiet.

Tazza

Staff member
Finding a after market muffler has been more of a hassle then I thought it would be. Can't find a local dealer of any muffler manufacture that can tell me if they got one that will work without wanting to look at the old one first. I don't think I'll be saving much money over OEM anyhow. So its plan B.
Plan B, I'm going to look for a off the shelf muffler that's close as possible to OEM and modify it to work. What I've found is 4 1/4" dia. muffler with side inlet and a outlet on the end. The overall length is about 10" shorter than the OEM so I can add a 90 degree outlet.
But I'm wondering about the shorter length making the exhaust much lauder then the OEM muffler. So before I start could anybody that has done something similar tell me if the sound level is acceptable to them. I'm cheap, but will pay for quiet.
To be honest, i have run a V1702 engine without a muffler and there wasn't a big difference, i really don't think sound levels will be an issue at all.

pondfishr

To be honest, i have run a V1702 engine without a muffler and there wasn't a big difference, i really don't think sound levels will be an issue at all.
THis probably wouldn't be and issue for you but I will post it anyway. A few weeks ago on a 90+ degree F day I had my 743 muffler clamp break loose blowing the hot exhaust into the engine bay. My friend was running it hard moving a big pile of stone and new it was loose by the sound of the motor but kept working it anyway. He didn't pay ant attention to the temp gauge and it came close to overheating. I stopped him just in time and we let it cool down and re-connected the muffler. It's funny how people won't take care of equipment when they didn't pay for it themselves.

Tazza

Staff member
THis probably wouldn't be and issue for you but I will post it anyway. A few weeks ago on a 90+ degree F day I had my 743 muffler clamp break loose blowing the hot exhaust into the engine bay. My friend was running it hard moving a big pile of stone and new it was loose by the sound of the motor but kept working it anyway. He didn't pay ant attention to the temp gauge and it came close to overheating. I stopped him just in time and we let it cool down and re-connected the muffler. It's funny how people won't take care of equipment when they didn't pay for it themselves.
Thats a very good point. I never lend out my machines for that exact reason. I will loan out smaller items but nothing that will cost me a fortune to repair. If you weren't there your motor could have blown up, thats around $5k to replace.
I let a guy move my 731 when i wasn't home, he said i have used them heaps of times! didn't take the park brake off and proceeded to wear the brass pucks out, thankfully nothing too serious but i did learn my lesson.
If i borrow something i make sure i take care of it, i don't want to break it and have to buy a new one!!!

Fishfiles

Thats a very good point. I never lend out my machines for that exact reason. I will loan out smaller items but nothing that will cost me a fortune to repair. If you weren't there your motor could have blown up, thats around $5k to replace.
I let a guy move my 731 when i wasn't home, he said i have used them heaps of times! didn't take the park brake off and proceeded to wear the brass pucks out, thankfully nothing too serious but i did learn my lesson.
If i borrow something i make sure i take care of it, i don't want to break it and have to buy a new one!!!
Tools are sacride -----I inherited alot of tools from my Grandfather , he use to always say don't lend your tools as the best thing that could happen is you get it back before you need it and it still works , ever lend a tool to someone and you need it and call them up and they say I can't bring it back right now , come over and get it , thats a real pissser-------last week I was working in Laffitte which got flooded really bad by the last Hurricane , you really would have to see this as there were National Guard , Sherriffs , air boats , rescue vehicles ,construction eqipment , all terran vehicles and hundreds of people working franticly all over when a old guy came over to me and asked to borrow a hack saw , I new once he walked away I could never find him if I wanted to , I told him bring what ever he wanted to cut over as the saw was very sentmentale to me as it was my Grandfathers and I don't lend tools , he was trying to get a boat under the bridge and had to cut some aluminum rigging of the boat to make it under , so I made him give me he's drivers licence to be sure he came back , which he did

mllud

Tools are sacride -----I inherited alot of tools from my Grandfather , he use to always say don't lend your tools as the best thing that could happen is you get it back before you need it and it still works , ever lend a tool to someone and you need it and call them up and they say I can't bring it back right now , come over and get it , thats a real pissser-------last week I was working in Laffitte which got flooded really bad by the last Hurricane , you really would have to see this as there were National Guard , Sherriffs , air boats , rescue vehicles ,construction eqipment , all terran vehicles and hundreds of people working franticly all over when a old guy came over to me and asked to borrow a hack saw , I new once he walked away I could never find him if I wanted to , I told him bring what ever he wanted to cut over as the saw was very sentmentale to me as it was my Grandfathers and I don't lend tools , he was trying to get a boat under the bridge and had to cut some aluminum rigging of the boat to make it under , so I made him give me he's drivers licence to be sure he came back , which he did
I loaned a chain saw to the guy next door. I walked over as he was finishing, He had the blade down in the dirt cutting a root.My ability to stay calm was tested to the max.
Sandhills- Elect has a Quote on his posts. Its is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same! (Gene Lynch.

I loaned a chain saw to the guy next door. I walked over as he was finishing, He had the blade down in the dirt cutting a root.My ability to stay calm was tested to the max.
Sandhills- Elect has a Quote on his posts. Its is better to give than to lend, and it costs about the same! (Gene Lynch.
When asked by a neighbor "may I use one of your little Bobcats this weekend" . I reply "Shure, how about Saturday, I'm going to the airport Saturday AM and don't want to take my car, call me friday night ,we can swapp". -- Never do I need to say "No". Never have I been handed keys. You are never the nice guy that loand out a tool. you are only the a$$hole that asked for it back. GregoryO'Connor Scots Bobcat

Tazza

Staff member
When asked by a neighbor "may I use one of your little Bobcats this weekend" . I reply "Shure, how about Saturday, I'm going to the airport Saturday AM and don't want to take my car, call me friday night ,we can swapp". -- Never do I need to say "No". Never have I been handed keys. You are never the nice guy that loand out a tool. you are only the a$$hole that asked for it back. GregoryO'Connor Scots Bobcat
LOL i love that one! I need to remember it for next time.

mllud

LOL i love that one! I need to remember it for next time.
I think we got off the mufler
There are so many people that dont understand it cost you money just to run a machine. Besides giving you $10 bucks for fuel.
The guy up the road told me he says I'll loan you my bobcat if you'l loan me your wife. and I think he;' serious.
I have learned to say no, and explain I need to break even on my envestment before It leaves my property. I do keep the road clean in the winter for 15 homes. Fuel money never. Thats ok because I'm realy doing it for myself. Ill let this subject rest now. Thanks for listening. Mike

OP
OP
L

latrobe

I think we got off the mufler
There are so many people that dont understand it cost you money just to run a machine. Besides giving you $10 bucks for fuel.
The guy up the road told me he says I'll loan you my bobcat if you'l loan me your wife. and I think he;' serious.
I have learned to say no, and explain I need to break even on my envestment before It leaves my property. I do keep the road clean in the winter for 15 homes. Fuel money never. Thats ok because I'm realy doing it for myself. Ill let this subject rest now. Thanks for listening. Mike
Just to follow up on my muffler replacement, I ended up buying a muffler from Bobcat. I'm glad I did too, After wasting all my time trying to gather up all the odd and end parts and figuring a way to fasten it to the machine and being concerned about the sound level afterwards. I figured it was the way to go. I order it from a dealer 200 miles away from me and had it in my hands in 22 hrs. What great service ( I call to tell them also). I paid about 140.00 US dollars plus 12.00 shipping. The muffler is a nice piece of work (a lot better than I could have done), four brackets with nut plates in place and painted all over, just bolted in and good to go. Fleet guard made this one and had # 17410 stamped on it (BC #6514737). Don't forget to call around on your Bobcat parts from the dealer, I saved $25.00 dollars doing so. By the way she is quiet as a mouse now.

perry

Just to follow up on my muffler replacement, I ended up buying a muffler from Bobcat. I'm glad I did too, After wasting all my time trying to gather up all the odd and end parts and figuring a way to fasten it to the machine and being concerned about the sound level afterwards. I figured it was the way to go. I order it from a dealer 200 miles away from me and had it in my hands in 22 hrs. What great service ( I call to tell them also). I paid about 140.00 US dollars plus 12.00 shipping. The muffler is a nice piece of work (a lot better than I could have done), four brackets with nut plates in place and painted all over, just bolted in and good to go. Fleet guard made this one and had # 17410 stamped on it (BC #6514737). Don't forget to call around on your Bobcat parts from the dealer, I saved $25.00 dollars doing so. By the way she is quiet as a mouse now.
I'm with Gregory and Fish, either I have to ask for it back, or it's broken/dirty. Never again, tools are sacred!.