743 jerky steering

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gander123

I have a late 80's 743 that has a steering problem. The right side motor is either all the way in gear or all the way out, i can't feather it. It is a real problem when the left side motor is in full motion and I want to turn, the right side either slams in or kicks out entirely. The machine was like this when I bought it, however the problem seems to be worsening. Any thoughts on where to look?

SkidRoe

I would start by looking at the linkage between the lever and the pump. Flip the cab up to access it. Look carefully at the connection between the pintle arm and the swash plate shaft on the pump.
HTH - SR

OP
OP
G

gander123

I can't see much, but what I can see seems to be ok. I had forgotten to mention that in cold weather the steering operates normally most of the time.

Tazza

Staff member
I can't see much, but what I can see seems to be ok. I had forgotten to mention that in cold weather the steering operates normally most of the time.
I too suspect the linkages are the issue.
With the cab up, look at the linkages on the pump, move the sticks and see how much you need to move them to get the arms on the pump to move. Ensure the arms are tight on the pump too.

Latest posts