743 - Grinding Noise.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mike1990323

Hello, I have a mid 90's 743 that is having an issue with a grinding noise, The machine was given to my father-in-law from his uncle who passed away, and it was a 1 owner machine since new. I know the machine last year was serviced with new fluids, and the yoke from the flywheel to the pump was replaced. With the grinding noise, 50% or above throttle its not their but the machine will creep, 50% or less throttle it is the most awful grinding noise, If you move the right lever ever so slightly and hold it in a position, it will not grind. and will sit and idle just fine. Any ideas? Hour meter stopped working who knows how many years ago with 2600 hours on it.

flyerdan

It sounds like the right stick needs the neutral adjustment set. Does it make a grinding sound like trying to shift into gear without a clutch, or a heavy hydraulic whine? Tweak the right stick to where it's quiet and nudge the left one and see if it makes the same noise, if so it's probably just a simple adjustment. The differences with the power levels is probably because there is more flow at higher rpms, they groan pretty good when you operate at reduced speed.

OP
OP
M

mike1990323

It sounds like the right stick needs the neutral adjustment set. Does it make a grinding sound like trying to shift into gear without a clutch, or a heavy hydraulic whine? Tweak the right stick to where it's quiet and nudge the left one and see if it makes the same noise, if so it's probably just a simple adjustment. The differences with the power levels is probably because there is more flow at higher rpms, they groan pretty good when you operate at reduced speed.
Yes, it sounds like you are shifting a car with out a clutch from a dead stop. I will try to search around for the neutral adjustment and see what i can dig up. If i drive it around at a low idle it will somewhat make the noise but not bad.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes, it sounds like you are shifting a car with out a clutch from a dead stop. I will try to search around for the neutral adjustment and see what i can dig up. If i drive it around at a low idle it will somewhat make the noise but not bad.
Steering adjustment: http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Steering Adjustment.jpg
Steering%20Adjustment.jpg

If the park brake is on, ou can really hear the grind, when you throttle up it tends to go away.
If the noise is still there, it is possible that when the u-joints were replaced and the engine pulled, that the fly wheel is touching the blower housing slightly. I had this happen to a machine of mine years ago.

OP
OP
M

mike1990323

Steering adjustment: http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Steering%20Adjustment.jpg

If the park brake is on, ou can really hear the grind, when you throttle up it tends to go away.
If the noise is still there, it is possible that when the u-joints were replaced and the engine pulled, that the fly wheel is touching the blower housing slightly. I had this happen to a machine of mine years ago.
Thank you Tazza for the picture, i will be doing this on saturday and will report back then!

billrbg

Thank you Tazza for the picture, i will be doing this on saturday and will report back then!
Yeah, same here. Thanks for the info. Mine has had that growl at idle, especially with brake on, as long as I have had it. I thought it was normal. I may not get to it this week-end, though. I figure it isn't too critical if it has worked fine like that for 20 years now.

Tazza

Staff member
Yeah, same here. Thanks for the info. Mine has had that growl at idle, especially with brake on, as long as I have had it. I thought it was normal. I may not get to it this week-end, though. I figure it isn't too critical if it has worked fine like that for 20 years now.
It can be hard to get just right.
You may need to replace worn parts, but see how you both go.
Remember to jack the machine up so the wheels can spin freely.