743 Diesel Tune-Up (What do I need? Where should I buy?)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

UTKTWF

I have a local machine mechanic who has quoted me 2 hours to do the following - * Flush out my fuel tank * Drain and change the oil * Change the oil and fuel filters I want this done as a sort of tune-up. The machine does not get used much and sat for several years prior to me convincing my dad to let me run it for personal use and odd jobs. All I have done to it is buy a new battery and replace two front hydro lines. With a good charge it will start every time. Basically I want to know what filter(s) I need and what oil I should put back in the machine. Or, is there anything else I should do/have done just as maintenance on the machine. If I need more info on my machine, let me know. It is an older (late 80's early 90's 743 which I believe has the Kubota diesel in it.

Fishfiles

I'd change the engine oil and filter 10w30 , fuel filter , air filters , change the hydraulic filter and check condition and top off if ok with 10w30 or hydraulic oil , checked the radiator antifreeze , the chain case 10w30 , very important is greasing the u joints and velocity ring ( sits between motor and pump ) and all the rest of the grease fittings , check your belts for tightness and condition and if possible pressure wash it under the cab and the engine

Tazza

Staff member
I'd change the engine oil and filter 10w30 , fuel filter , air filters , change the hydraulic filter and check condition and top off if ok with 10w30 or hydraulic oil , checked the radiator antifreeze , the chain case 10w30 , very important is greasing the u joints and velocity ring ( sits between motor and pump ) and all the rest of the grease fittings , check your belts for tightness and condition and if possible pressure wash it under the cab and the engine
Two hours probably is close to the mark. Removing the fuel tank does take a bit of time to remove then clean out. Draining the chain case WILL take time, there is no drain plug, you need to pump it out. The hydraulic oil you can't simply drain too, it need to be pumped out, there is no drain point. I use my aux couplings for this, but others don't like this option, so its your call.
Ensure you use the correct grade of engine oil, it must be diesel grade. Kubota recommends 15W40 in their engines, i can't remember where i read it though.
Fishfiles caught just about everything there. I can't think of anything else to really focus on. The chain case does get over looked a LOT, if you have never changed it, its a good time to do so then 1000 hours till its needed again.