743 Diesel Fuel Pick Up Tube

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

743newbie

Hey guys,
I was out using the Bobcat last weekend and it just stopped dead. After some trouble shooting I found out that the fuel pickup tube in the tank broke off and I was not getting any fuel. Now for the question; what should I use for a new tube? I picked up some standard fuel tubing at the autoparts store (SAE 30r9). Is that good enough for long term fuel soaking?
Thanks.

Fishfiles

The Bobcat dealer here in New Orleans has been selling black hard plastic tubing to take the place of the soft clear tubing , you don't use the screen filter any more with th new tube , you don't need the two little clamps that held the soft clear tubing on the barbs either , I was told that this was the new design quite a few years ago by them , but it didn't seem to make it around the country as I am still hearing of dealers elsewhere selling the old tubing , ------there were two problems with the clear tubing , one was it deteriated and broke off falling into the tank , if the tank is full to the top you will run ok for a while as even if it broke right at the barb of the fitting on top the tank it stuck down about and inch or so into the tank , so you will run till the fuel level goes down enough to suck air , second was the screen had a tendency to clog up pretty regularly with any dirt or algee in the tank and had to be removed and cleaned which on some model bobcat it's hard to get in and out , and a after effect of changing the tubing is the tube that fell into the tank futher dteriates into tiny pieces and and those pieces of the old tube get sucked up the new pick up tube and lodged in the 90 degree fitting on top the tank or if it was small enough made it past that and cloged up the inlet of the primer ball ----so to answer your question a hard plastic tubing is the best thing to put in the tank as a pick up tube

Tazza

Staff member
The Bobcat dealer here in New Orleans has been selling black hard plastic tubing to take the place of the soft clear tubing , you don't use the screen filter any more with th new tube , you don't need the two little clamps that held the soft clear tubing on the barbs either , I was told that this was the new design quite a few years ago by them , but it didn't seem to make it around the country as I am still hearing of dealers elsewhere selling the old tubing , ------there were two problems with the clear tubing , one was it deteriated and broke off falling into the tank , if the tank is full to the top you will run ok for a while as even if it broke right at the barb of the fitting on top the tank it stuck down about and inch or so into the tank , so you will run till the fuel level goes down enough to suck air , second was the screen had a tendency to clog up pretty regularly with any dirt or algee in the tank and had to be removed and cleaned which on some model bobcat it's hard to get in and out , and a after effect of changing the tubing is the tube that fell into the tank futher dteriates into tiny pieces and and those pieces of the old tube get sucked up the new pick up tube and lodged in the 90 degree fitting on top the tank or if it was small enough made it past that and cloged up the inlet of the primer ball ----so to answer your question a hard plastic tubing is the best thing to put in the tank as a pick up tube
When i got my machine, the tube was replaced with fuel hose. The old tube was floating around the tank still. I removed the entire tank and pressure washed it out and installed good quality fuel hose. I kept the old screen and 1 way valve as i knew the tank was spotless.
The 743s fuel tank is very easy to remove, if the old hose broke off i'd pull the tank and give it a good clean out and install a new pickup tube, if you choose to go with the fuel hose or go the bobcat hard plastic tube, its up to you. Its easy enough to replace later if required.

OP
OP

743newbie

When i got my machine, the tube was replaced with fuel hose. The old tube was floating around the tank still. I removed the entire tank and pressure washed it out and installed good quality fuel hose. I kept the old screen and 1 way valve as i knew the tank was spotless.
The 743s fuel tank is very easy to remove, if the old hose broke off i'd pull the tank and give it a good clean out and install a new pickup tube, if you choose to go with the fuel hose or go the bobcat hard plastic tube, its up to you. Its easy enough to replace later if required.
Thanks for the info. I have already pulled out the fuel tank, retrieved the old hose and cleaned the tank out. I wanted to make sure that whatever I did would last. It looks like my tube only had a screen on the inlet, no check valve. I am assuming that there is another check valve on the hand primer. The tube I pulled out was a black plastic type.

Latest posts