743 control valve rebuild

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

brdgbldr

Ok it looks like (after I pressure washed it off) the front cover comes off with out removing the hydro static unit. It seems to slide under a few inches. Am I correct?
Is there supposed to be 4 bolts holding the motor side access covers on from the bottom? If so mine are rusted heads almost gone.
Yes, there are supposed to be 4 bolts holding on the motor access covers on the bottom. Be careful not to destroy your covers as they are hard to find. I had to weld up my own covers for my 742B.

I replaced the axle bearings and seals in my 742 and, while I replaced all 4 bearings/ seals, I found it much easier to remove the chain case by unbolting the pump, bracing it, removing the motors hoses, unbolting the frame and then jacking up the frame and removing the chain case. This way you have access to the entire case.

Also, Bobcat has special washers/shims of different thicknesses to take up any play in the axel. The torque on the axle bolts is 600 ft-lbs. I actually had to buy a torque wrench since I was able to start stretching a bolt and caught it before it broke.

Last edited:

jp8775

Yes, there are supposed to be 4 bolts holding on the motor access covers on the bottom. Be careful not to destroy your covers as they are hard to find. I had to weld up my own covers for my 742B.

I replaced the axle bearings and seals in my 742 and, while I replaced all 4 bearings/ seals, I found it much easier to remove the chain case by unbolting the pump, bracing it, removing the motors hoses, unbolting the frame and then jacking up the frame and removing the chain case. This way you have access to the entire case.

Also, Bobcat has special washers/shims of different thicknesses to take up any play in the axel. The torque on the axle bolts is 600 ft-lbs. I actually had to buy a torque wrench since I was able to start stretching a bolt and caught it before it broke.

jp8775

Wow thanks, sounds like you have done a few. Do you think a 643 frame would work on a 743? Seems everything measures up in the engine compartment. I have a 643 frame and motor case, as long as I have the chain case off the my 732 and the engine out (needs a head gasket) and the 643 case is like new the 743 case is rusty? Also what is a good source for used bobcat parts? I started another thread called interchangeable parts 743.

Last edited:

brdgbldr

Wow thanks, sounds like you have done a few. Do you think a 643 frame would work on a 743? Seems everything measures up in the engine compartment. I have a 643 frame and motor case, as long as I have the chain case off the my 732 and the engine out (needs a head gasket) and the 643 case is like new the 743 case is rusty? Also what is a good source for used bobcat parts? I started another thread called interchangeable parts 743.
I replied to your other post interchangeable parts.

As for used parts your best bet is to find the part number and do an internet search. I have been lucky a few time with this site:

Guy

Hope the manual helps you guys.
I can't even remember where I found it years ago but I figured I would download it in case I needed it in the future.
I just sold my 742B ( probably a big mistake ) so I don't need it anymore but will hang onto it. I suggest that you do the same and pass it on when others need it.
Do you still have the 743B control valve manual. I am in need of more knowledge on this. Thank you for any help. Guy. [email protected]

Guy

I may have the manual you need. It's too big to post in the manuals section.
Message me your email and I can try to send it to you.
I have a 743B with a leaking control valve. Do you have the repair manual? Thanks for any help

brdgbldr

Hi seen your post about having a manual for the 743. If possible are you able to send me a copy of it? My email is [email protected]. Thank you.
I sent the same Control Valve manual that I've been asked for in this thread.

I also have a 742B, 743B Service Manual but I have not tried sending that to anybody yet.

dfb

I would be interested in the control valve manual also for a 742B if possible.
I had somebody resealed mine a few years back and it operates with no leaks, the only thing I wish was better is how stiff the pedals feel. The linkage is free moving but there is no "finesse" in the pedal control, the valve{s} seems to pop loose instead of gradually opening. Once open, it is easy to feather closed but the initial opening is difficult to control in small inputs.

Dave1234

I have a 743B with a leaking control valve. Do you have the repair manual? Thanks for any help
Hi Brdgbldr! could you also send me the valve manual? I have a 742B also. Thank you. david.webb#cot.net Please replace the # with @
Thank you for all the good advice.

brdgbldr

Hi Brdgbldr! could you also send me the valve manual? I have a 742B also. Thank you. david.webb#cot.net Please replace the # with @
Thank you for all the good advice
Got a mailer-daemon and I did change the #.

Will try to send through this sight.

Last edited:

Tango-Charlie

Hey brbgbldr, Could you send me a copy of the control valve manual too? Being I have a 742B I'd also be interested in the service manual you have if that can be sent or you would like to try to send it. The email in my profile is a good email to send it to.

Thanks in advance,

TC

brdgbldr

Hey brbgbldr, Could you send me a copy of the control valve manual too? Being I have a 742B I'd also be interested in the service manual you have if that can be sent or you would like to try to send it. The email in my profile is a good email to send it to.

Thanks in advance,

TC
I sent you five items through the "Start Conversation" email.

Tell me if you got them or not. Most of these manuals are too big to post on these forum threads but the "Start Conversation" seems to work well. I've only just figured this out so I need feedback to make sure it works.

Tango-Charlie

I sent you five items through the "Start Conversation" email.

Tell me if you got them or not. Most of these manuals are too big to post on these forum threads but the "Start Conversation" seems to work well. I've only just figured this out so I need feedback to make sure it works.
Worked great for me as I received all. Thanks again!