743 Chaincase Swap Update

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thetool

On stands, high enough to clear when you roll it out. Boom up and locked.
743007.jpg picture by tooleeo

Stands in the front under bars through the fram channel.
743008.jpg picture by tooleeo

Cab up and held back with a chain. Steering panel out and remove drive motor hoses.
743010.jpg picture by tooleeo
Come-along under front of pump, up to seat pan. Support it and remove front pump mount nuts. Come-along it up enough to remove the lift linkage pivot bar under the pump. Let it relax, but still stay supported after you remove the bar.
743012.jpg picture by tooleeo

Bolts out connecting frame to chaincase. Stick a bar in one of the holes in each corner. I also had a floorjack under the chaincase. There's a sweet spot where the case will balance.
743014.jpg picture by tooleeo

Remove the bars and let it down onto furniture dollies .
743015.jpg picture by tooleeo

Roll it out from under the frame, swap over motors, fill with oil, install covers and gaskets, adjusted brake lever for a new bite on the brake shaft. Goes back in just like it came out.
743031.jpg picture by tooleeo

You need two floorjacks and four jackstands for the switch-around. The dollies were had from Harbor Freight for 10 bucks each, rated at 1000 lbs.
Hopefully I'll finish up tommorrow.

Tazza

Staff member
That is SO much easier than the way i did it. Mine was totally gutted then painted but that was for me to keep. Your way is just so simple its amazing!
The damage in the old box is insane too, if you feel something is wrong most people would stop but obviously not that guy......
Can i ask how much time you spent doing the swap?

OP
OP
thetool

thetool

That is SO much easier than the way i did it. Mine was totally gutted then painted but that was for me to keep. Your way is just so simple its amazing!
The damage in the old box is insane too, if you feel something is wrong most people would stop but obviously not that guy......
Can i ask how much time you spent doing the swap?
Well, I bid the entire job thinking 24 hours total. I went 25 yesterday, and still have to finish up a few small things today, for free I guess.
I spent about 12 hrs rebuilding the chaincase, and about 12 into the swap-out. I had some run-around time in there, I did the chaincase at another location.
The swap-out could have gone faster if I'd had some equipment I'm used to having when working at a regular shop. Also being so danged filthy with no way to clean up first slowed me down quite a bit.

Tazza

Staff member
Well, I bid the entire job thinking 24 hours total. I went 25 yesterday, and still have to finish up a few small things today, for free I guess.
I spent about 12 hrs rebuilding the chaincase, and about 12 into the swap-out. I had some run-around time in there, I did the chaincase at another location.
The swap-out could have gone faster if I'd had some equipment I'm used to having when working at a regular shop. Also being so danged filthy with no way to clean up first slowed me down quite a bit.
Yeah i saw all the crud in there!
I guess its one of those things that would have gone faster if you had help too, and equipment sure is an asset.

OP
OP
thetool

thetool

Yeah i saw all the crud in there!
I guess its one of those things that would have gone faster if you had help too, and equipment sure is an asset.
Oh I had some help. My brother, my son. My pop even supervised a little.....=). I did some of it alone. I'm not as young as I used to be. It seemed harder than it used to be.....=).

Tazza

Staff member
Oh I had some help. My brother, my son. My pop even supervised a little.....=). I did some of it alone. I'm not as young as I used to be. It seemed harder than it used to be.....=).
LOL
I can totally relate, all the *hard work* does take its toll. I feel way older than i am some days.... But there isn't a whole lot we can do about that now is there?

sterlclan

LOL
I can totally relate, all the *hard work* does take its toll. I feel way older than i am some days.... But there isn't a whole lot we can do about that now is there?
Your brain is ten years behind your body....it says yes the knees say nooooooo.......

Tazza

Staff member
Your brain is ten years behind your body....it says yes the knees say nooooooo.......
My knees aren't too bad.. YET but i picked something up at work a few months back, my back still has not forgiven me. I know i'm not old but some days ooh boy do i feel it! I just put it down to the fact i really need a holiday :) lazing around on the beach or something, no lifting or bending, ahhh i can dream can't it?

bluthunder

My knees aren't too bad.. YET but i picked something up at work a few months back, my back still has not forgiven me. I know i'm not old but some days ooh boy do i feel it! I just put it down to the fact i really need a holiday :) lazing around on the beach or something, no lifting or bending, ahhh i can dream can't it?
hi guys. i know this is an old thread. Well I have problems with the axle seals and found this thread. I was hoping you could tell me how many bolts did you undo under the operator seat before taking out the bolts outside? maybe i could follow the steps you have taken since. taking out everything inside will take a lot of work and am falling behind schedule. hope you guys could help.. thanks. Jake

Tazza

Staff member
hi guys. i know this is an old thread. Well I have problems with the axle seals and found this thread. I was hoping you could tell me how many bolts did you undo under the operator seat before taking out the bolts outside? maybe i could follow the steps you have taken since. taking out everything inside will take a lot of work and am falling behind schedule. hope you guys could help.. thanks. Jake
What bolts are you talking about under the seat? are you talking about the ones to seperate the entire chaincase?
I have never tried doing it that way, but i can see it working too. The way its normally done is through the inspection plates on the chain case where the park brake pedal sits. Easy access to the front, but to get to the rear you really want the plate under the pump. The easiset way is to remove the entire pump and access it that way.
Do give details on which way you decide, it would be interesting dropping the chaincase out.
As for the bolts, you can remove them all, it will not fall to the ground. The chassis will sit on the axle tubes of the chain case, so don't be concerned with needing to only removing a few bolts at a time.