743 Chaincase Rebuild and Swap

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

thetool

Got an exploded chaincase on a 743, broken chains, axles and sprockets. Gouged chaincase walls and leaking box.
Found a used chaincase, axles, chains and all, with gearboxes, from a boneyard. I'm going to rebuild this one as necessary and swap them out.
carlsbad743chaincase003.jpg picture by tooleeo

carlsbad743chaincase004.jpg picture by tooleeo

It's a lot easier like this. Too bad it's not a 743B.......=(.

mllud

Are all bobcats driven from a single chaincase?
It seems the operator must not have been tuned into the sounds of his machine to have had such a destructive failure.
Tool: I spent about two years in the Salt Lake valley in the early 80,s. Im sure the city has expanded all the way out to the copper pit by now.
Mike

OP
OP
thetool

thetool

Are all bobcats driven from a single chaincase?
It seems the operator must not have been tuned into the sounds of his machine to have had such a destructive failure.
Tool: I spent about two years in the Salt Lake valley in the early 80,s. Im sure the city has expanded all the way out to the copper pit by now.
Mike
All since quite a while ago have a center chaincase, wheeled machines, that is.
I dunno about what the operator was thinking. Near as I can tell, he broke a rear chain, then it wrapped and broke the sprocket hub, which let the axle freewheel, which probably let him keep working.
Then that sprocket jammed into the other rear sprocket, gouged the chaincase, and perhaps broke the other rear axle because the machine freewheels now. I dunno, other than it's mucked up with a capital F.
He took it to the dealer and they scared him off.
I'll post more when I get into it, if it's of interest?
Salt Lake Valley has grown a lot. Kennecott Copper owns a lot of the property out west in the valley, and it has kinda grown around a lot of the open space they're holding on to. It's more heading out toward the southwest, and into Cedar Valley, I guess. I'm moving out there.

mllud

All since quite a while ago have a center chaincase, wheeled machines, that is.
I dunno about what the operator was thinking. Near as I can tell, he broke a rear chain, then it wrapped and broke the sprocket hub, which let the axle freewheel, which probably let him keep working.
Then that sprocket jammed into the other rear sprocket, gouged the chaincase, and perhaps broke the other rear axle because the machine freewheels now. I dunno, other than it's mucked up with a capital F.
He took it to the dealer and they scared him off.
I'll post more when I get into it, if it's of interest?
Salt Lake Valley has grown a lot. Kennecott Copper owns a lot of the property out west in the valley, and it has kinda grown around a lot of the open space they're holding on to. It's more heading out toward the southwest, and into Cedar Valley, I guess. I'm moving out there.
Even though I own a yellow machine it would be interesting and educational to follow this Job.
Im sure the bobcat owners could use it for reference.
The copper mine was all but closed in the early 80's. I found my way to the rim in an old international Scout one night. Im sure I could have passed a few signs saying ,Dont go There. I had a girl and was looking for a place to talk. Mike

Tazza

Staff member
Even though I own a yellow machine it would be interesting and educational to follow this Job.
Im sure the bobcat owners could use it for reference.
The copper mine was all but closed in the early 80's. I found my way to the rim in an old international Scout one night. Im sure I could have passed a few signs saying ,Dont go There. I had a girl and was looking for a place to talk. Mike
The tool, i have worked on these before and how you have it rite now is pefect to work on. I have pictures of a gutted chain case if you need any info just let me know!
The biggest tip i can give you for assembly is to stand it on its end, as you know the chains and sprockets are heavy let gravity do the work, hang the chain off the small double sprocket inside the chaincase then lower the sprocket on to the chain, let it hang and take the weight.
A small note, don't think you are being smart by installing the sprocket to the axle and think the chain will go on still aftwewards, i know from experience it does NOT work that way. Don't make my mistake :) The main problem was the seal and bearings were seated and i was worried when i pulled them i'd damage something but they seperated and worked just fine.
You may want to replace or at least silicone the gear boxes to the chain case. I made the mistake of not doing it on one machine and it leaked, drove me crazy i was kicking myself for not doing it afterwards.
I'm sure i speak for everyone, we want, no we demand pictures :)

OP
OP
thetool

thetool

The tool, i have worked on these before and how you have it rite now is pefect to work on. I have pictures of a gutted chain case if you need any info just let me know!
The biggest tip i can give you for assembly is to stand it on its end, as you know the chains and sprockets are heavy let gravity do the work, hang the chain off the small double sprocket inside the chaincase then lower the sprocket on to the chain, let it hang and take the weight.
A small note, don't think you are being smart by installing the sprocket to the axle and think the chain will go on still aftwewards, i know from experience it does NOT work that way. Don't make my mistake :) The main problem was the seal and bearings were seated and i was worried when i pulled them i'd damage something but they seperated and worked just fine.
You may want to replace or at least silicone the gear boxes to the chain case. I made the mistake of not doing it on one machine and it leaked, drove me crazy i was kicking myself for not doing it afterwards.
I'm sure i speak for everyone, we want, no we demand pictures :)
Well, I've rebuilt a few chaincases, but it's been a while. I am stiff and sore. And that's a good tip about standing it on end, never thought of that. Didn't have much in the way of lifting on this job, but I'll remember that if I'm ever crazy enough to do this again any time soon...=).
The reason I went for this chaincase is because it had be worked before, the gaskets looked relatively new, it was bone dry on the outside, and when I opened it, the chains looked pretty new and the oil was clean.
743chaicase002.jpg picture by tooleeo

I figured drain the oil and clean it out, change out the axle seals and gearbox seals and cover gasket, fill 'er up and call it good.
743chaicase009.jpg picture by tooleeo
We started in the back, but here we are breaking loose the sprocket bolt with a bar through the studs, box-end wrench on the bolt.
After we got all the guts out except for the front chains, we ladled and suction all the old oil out, tipped it front down and let it set overnight, then finished wipe-up the next day before reassembly.
One of my rear outside bearings came apart on removal, I decided to replace all four rear cone bearings. Axles were already sleeved.
743chaicase007.jpg picture by tooleeo

Remove the axle/hub with a porta-power.
743005.jpg picture by tooleeo

This is looking back into the rear axles, so the left side here is actually the right side of the machine, already finished. All chains are set on the sprocket, the axle is pushed in just enough to grab the bearing. I put some sticky grease on the cone to help keep it in place, it likes to slide out and fall to the bottom of the chaincase when you're trying to catch splines. Makes me cuss.
743002.jpg picture by tooleeo

Seal installer in place, permatex around the outside of the seal, a little grease on the bearing to help it along until it gets washed in oil. I like to get it as straight as I can with a jack under the hub to help me catch splines squarely inside.
743chaicase005.jpg picture by tooleeo

When you catch splines, very light taps with a hammer on the hub will drive the axle into the sprocket. You can feel it movving in with a finger in the hole where the bolt goes. Don't get crazy with the hammer, or you'll have it apart again filing burrs on the splines. When you can start the bolt, do so. Put a wrench on it and turn the hub until your seal comes up against the axle tube. Make sure it starts squarely into the tube, THEN have at it with the hammer. I had access to the special installers, but Tazza's idea with the split cone race and hose clamp is outstanding. Oh yeah, when you start wailing on it with the hammer, your wrench falls off. Put it back on and finish snugging up the bolt to bottom out the bearings. I also failed to mention that on my broken bearing, the inner race was cracked, so I use it as an installer for the outer bearings, driven on after the seal is installed. Shoulda took a pic of that....=).
Anyway, that was the axle seals. I also drained and cleaned the gearboxes, and changes those seals. I'll post more later.

Tazza

Staff member
Well, I've rebuilt a few chaincases, but it's been a while. I am stiff and sore. And that's a good tip about standing it on end, never thought of that. Didn't have much in the way of lifting on this job, but I'll remember that if I'm ever crazy enough to do this again any time soon...=).
The reason I went for this chaincase is because it had be worked before, the gaskets looked relatively new, it was bone dry on the outside, and when I opened it, the chains looked pretty new and the oil was clean.

I figured drain the oil and clean it out, change out the axle seals and gearbox seals and cover gasket, fill 'er up and call it good.

We started in the back, but here we are breaking loose the sprocket bolt with a bar through the studs, box-end wrench on the bolt.
After we got all the guts out except for the front chains, we ladled and suction all the old oil out, tipped it front down and let it set overnight, then finished wipe-up the next day before reassembly.
One of my rear outside bearings came apart on removal, I decided to replace all four rear cone bearings. Axles were already sleeved.

Remove the axle/hub with a porta-power.

This is looking back into the rear axles, so the left side here is actually the right side of the machine, already finished. All chains are set on the sprocket, the axle is pushed in just enough to grab the bearing. I put some sticky grease on the cone to help keep it in place, it likes to slide out and fall to the bottom of the chaincase when you're trying to catch splines. Makes me cuss.

Seal installer in place, permatex around the outside of the seal, a little grease on the bearing to help it along until it gets washed in oil. I like to get it as straight as I can with a jack under the hub to help me catch splines squarely inside.

When you catch splines, very light taps with a hammer on the hub will drive the axle into the sprocket. You can feel it movving in with a finger in the hole where the bolt goes. Don't get crazy with the hammer, or you'll have it apart again filing burrs on the splines. When you can start the bolt, do so. Put a wrench on it and turn the hub until your seal comes up against the axle tube. Make sure it starts squarely into the tube, THEN have at it with the hammer. I had access to the special installers, but Tazza's idea with the split cone race and hose clamp is outstanding. Oh yeah, when you start wailing on it with the hammer, your wrench falls off. Put it back on and finish snugging up the bolt to bottom out the bearings. I also failed to mention that on my broken bearing, the inner race was cracked, so I use it as an installer for the outer bearings, driven on after the seal is installed. Shoulda took a pic of that....=).
Anyway, that was the axle seals. I also drained and cleaned the gearboxes, and changes those seals. I'll post more later.
I used a hydraulic bottle jack to pull the axle out as i don't have a short porta power ram.Others use a hammer but the jack makes it so easy.
To install the cones i used a piece of water pipe that sliped over the axle and hit it down with a hammer. To remove them i used the welder to give something to hit against and used an air hammer to drive them off the shaft. There is no right or wrong way really, just whatever works!
The inside sure does look clean, looks like you got a pretty good deal!

OP
OP
thetool

thetool

I used a hydraulic bottle jack to pull the axle out as i don't have a short porta power ram.Others use a hammer but the jack makes it so easy.
To install the cones i used a piece of water pipe that sliped over the axle and hit it down with a hammer. To remove them i used the welder to give something to hit against and used an air hammer to drive them off the shaft. There is no right or wrong way really, just whatever works!
The inside sure does look clean, looks like you got a pretty good deal!
I pulled mine with a splitter, all-thread and a bar puller, far enough off the hub until I could get a punch on the inner race, because I wanted to save them, as I was pretty sure they were low-time.
I shoulda took pics of that process, but most folks get the gist.
I wish the rear axles were as easy as the fronts! And it's even worse when the machine is together! That's why when I had that broken bearing in the rear, I went with all new back there. I had some room in the bid. I can stand behind the fronts, and take care of him pretty quick if something goes wrong. I'm confident it'll all be good, but I don't want to be digging into the rear later on......
Everybody's gonna be happy with this deal, knock on wood.
I'v been thinking about this other chaincase that was next to the one I got. It's got motors on it as well, and he told me it's been sitting for 6 years like that-all sealed and motors capped with steel caps, but that six years scared me, even though he said I could take it for it's price in scrap.
I might go open that one, and if its not rusty inside(but I bet it is), maybe I'll take it for a hobby.
But then, I don't really want to get in to the used parts bidness......do I?......=).

Tazza

Staff member
I pulled mine with a splitter, all-thread and a bar puller, far enough off the hub until I could get a punch on the inner race, because I wanted to save them, as I was pretty sure they were low-time.
I shoulda took pics of that process, but most folks get the gist.
I wish the rear axles were as easy as the fronts! And it's even worse when the machine is together! That's why when I had that broken bearing in the rear, I went with all new back there. I had some room in the bid. I can stand behind the fronts, and take care of him pretty quick if something goes wrong. I'm confident it'll all be good, but I don't want to be digging into the rear later on......
Everybody's gonna be happy with this deal, knock on wood.
I'v been thinking about this other chaincase that was next to the one I got. It's got motors on it as well, and he told me it's been sitting for 6 years like that-all sealed and motors capped with steel caps, but that six years scared me, even though he said I could take it for it's price in scrap.
I might go open that one, and if its not rusty inside(but I bet it is), maybe I'll take it for a hobby.
But then, I don't really want to get in to the used parts bidness......do I?......=).
Thats so true, you know they LOVE getting water in them and they rust up so fast.
I totally agree with the rear axles!!! If you are that far in you MUST do the rears, even if its just the seals. For the Price of bearings i figured i may as well just change them all. About $250 worth, its cheap insurance, i sure don't want to be digging around in there later!!!

OP
OP
thetool

thetool

Thats so true, you know they LOVE getting water in them and they rust up so fast.
I totally agree with the rear axles!!! If you are that far in you MUST do the rears, even if its just the seals. For the Price of bearings i figured i may as well just change them all. About $250 worth, its cheap insurance, i sure don't want to be digging around in there later!!!
Here's some of the ugliness of the old chaincase:
743029.jpg picture by tooleeo

743030.jpg picture by tooleeo

743027.jpg picture by tooleeo

743026.jpg picture by tooleeo