743 Bobtach (oldstyle) tilt pin and bushings

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Centurion

Hello Everyone,
I was using my bobcat the other day, and noticed metal filings coming from the pivot pin and bushings on the bobtach. Further investigation showed a great deal of wear on the pin, and the bushings are all wallered out. There were never any grease fittings on this piece, and because of that, I guess I did not pay enough attention. I have looked in the parts manual, and it is not clear to me if I can get replacement bushings from Bobcat, or do I need to make my own? I have done a search on the forum, but could not find answers to my questions. The pin I can determine the part#, but I am not sure on the weld in bushings. If they do not come with grease fittings, they will have them when I am done so I do not have this problem again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
What pins/bushings are the problem, the ones on the bottom of the arms or where the tilt ram attaches to the bobtach?
All can be replaced with some lathe work and time.

OP
OP
C

Centurion

What pins/bushings are the problem, the ones on the bottom of the arms or where the tilt ram attaches to the bobtach?
All can be replaced with some lathe work and time.
It is the . one where the tilt ram attaches to the bobtach. 1-1/4 pin 8" long and 2 welded bushings, approx. 2" diameter x 1-1/2" long

TriHonu

It is the . one where the tilt ram attaches to the bobtach. 1-1/4 pin 8" long and 2 welded bushings, approx. 2" diameter x 1-1/2" long
I detailed how I fixed mine by line boring in THIS thread.
The most difficult problem with this repair is keeping the two holes exactly in alignment. If they are bored to the exact diameter of the pin and not in alignment by even a .001 inch the pin will not slide through both holes.
The most common fix for damaged bores in this location is torching off the ears and making a new pair and welding them back on.
Other solutions vary by what tools you have and how much time you want to spend.
THIS thread tells how OldMachinist used a magnetic drill and Tazza used a rail drill to fix damaged bores on their quicktach's.
Someone else here welded theirs up and used a reamer to true up the holes.
Expander Systems makes an expanding pin that is made to fix this condition. I was quoted $240 USD for a pin for my 763.
I have talked to folks who have welded them up and used a die grinder and 1/2 round file to refit the pin.
Another fix was to clamp a pin in the bore that had a small hole bored in the end. The hole was used to align the guide drill on a hole saw. Hole saw the bores oversize and have someone machine replacement bushings.
A friend of mine did the fast fix. He bought a chunk of 1 1/4 inch Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM) tube. The bore of this tube is about 2 thousands of an inch smaller (1.248 inches). He cut off 2 pieces about an inch long and used a brake hone to enlarge the bores to 1.250 to make two 1.250 ID bushings. He bought an upper pin (the one that is used on the other end of the tilt cylinder) that is a couple inches longer than the pin at the quicktach end. He inserted the new pin through the quicktach and tilt cylinder. He put the DOM bushings over the ends of the pin and welded them to the outsides of the quicktach ears. He has been running it that way for a couple years with no problems. Note when you weld the bushings on they will not stay in perfect alignment. As they cool they will twist a little and bind the pin. It will take a lot of heat and a sledgehammer to get the pin back out. You may have to torch one bushing off.
With any of these fixes, you should replace the rod eye bushing in the hydraulic cylinder. It is around $7.00 from Bobcat.

OP
OP
C

Centurion

I detailed how I fixed mine by line boring in THIS thread.
The most difficult problem with this repair is keeping the two holes exactly in alignment. If they are bored to the exact diameter of the pin and not in alignment by even a .001 inch the pin will not slide through both holes.
The most common fix for damaged bores in this location is torching off the ears and making a new pair and welding them back on.
Other solutions vary by what tools you have and how much time you want to spend.
THIS thread tells how OldMachinist used a magnetic drill and Tazza used a rail drill to fix damaged bores on their quicktach's.
Someone else here welded theirs up and used a reamer to true up the holes.
Expander Systems makes an expanding pin that is made to fix this condition. I was quoted $240 USD for a pin for my 763.
I have talked to folks who have welded them up and used a die grinder and 1/2 round file to refit the pin.
Another fix was to clamp a pin in the bore that had a small hole bored in the end. The hole was used to align the guide drill on a hole saw. Hole saw the bores oversize and have someone machine replacement bushings.
A friend of mine did the fast fix. He bought a chunk of 1 1/4 inch Drawn Over Mandrel (DOM) tube. The bore of this tube is about 2 thousands of an inch smaller (1.248 inches). He cut off 2 pieces about an inch long and used a brake hone to enlarge the bores to 1.250 to make two 1.250 ID bushings. He bought an upper pin (the one that is used on the other end of the tilt cylinder) that is a couple inches longer than the pin at the quicktach end. He inserted the new pin through the quicktach and tilt cylinder. He put the DOM bushings over the ends of the pin and welded them to the outsides of the quicktach ears. He has been running it that way for a couple years with no problems. Note when you weld the bushings on they will not stay in perfect alignment. As they cool they will twist a little and bind the pin. It will take a lot of heat and a sledgehammer to get the pin back out. You may have to torch one bushing off.
With any of these fixes, you should replace the rod eye bushing in the hydraulic cylinder. It is around $7.00 from Bobcat.
Thanks for the input, I called the Bobcat dealer and the replacement bushings were only $35.00 ea. once I heard that price, I told them to order them, as I cannot make them myself for that kind of money. I will let you know how things go.

OP
OP
C

Centurion

Thanks for the input, I called the Bobcat dealer and the replacement bushings were only $35.00 ea. once I heard that price, I told them to order them, as I cannot make them myself for that kind of money. I will let you know how things go.
Just to let everyone know. Ordered the parts from Bobcat for the bushings on the back of the bobtac also ordered a new pin. Drove 40 miles to pick up parts. None of the parts were correct. they sent all the bushings and oins for the upper end of the tilt cylinder, I needed the lower end! I ended up going to work and finding items to modify to make the parts I needed. Should heve probably done that in the first place. All fixed and running well.

Tazza

Staff member
Just to let everyone know. Ordered the parts from Bobcat for the bushings on the back of the bobtac also ordered a new pin. Drove 40 miles to pick up parts. None of the parts were correct. they sent all the bushings and oins for the upper end of the tilt cylinder, I needed the lower end! I ended up going to work and finding items to modify to make the parts I needed. Should heve probably done that in the first place. All fixed and running well.
Glad you got it all sorted out, still a shame you went all that way for the wrong parts....