743 Bobcat Hydraulic Issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rodzilla67

I recently inherited my Dads old 743 Bobcat Skid steer. I admit I do not know much about it. I was told by my Dads mechanic that the hydraulic pump was replaced last year.

The other day while I was removing some small stone from a job I lost control to the bucket and lift. I also notice that it did not like turning left or right and will almost stall when I do tight turns. It will drive straight pretty well but does seem to lack the power it had before. I immediately checked the hydraulic fluid and it was about 3 quarts low. I topped it off and tried working controls and driving around a little bit (maybe 100 yards). Didn't help.

The only change in performance would be that it will allow me to lift about 2-3" at a time, but cant lower the lift and bucket controls don't work at all. When left with lift all way up it will lower itself slowly over several hours. Still doesn't like tight turns.

I see no evidence of any leaking at all, before or after.

brdgbldr

Longshot here.
You didn't by chance move the auxiliary control all the way to the right did you? (this is the right drive lever). This will engage the detent for the auxiliary. This will keep the auxiliary on constant pressure even when there is no attachment. Take the right lever and move it all the way to the lift to make sure the auxiliary detent is not engaged. This has caught me off guard before and I had the same symptoms.

OP
OP
R

rodzilla67

Longshot here.
You didn't by chance move the auxiliary control all the way to the right did you? (this is the right drive lever). This will engage the detent for the auxiliary. This will keep the auxiliary on constant pressure even when there is no attachment. Take the right lever and move it all the way to the lift to make sure the auxiliary detent is not engaged. This has caught me off guard before and I had the same symptoms.
I will give that a try, it is is possible. I am not that familiar with the machine as of yet. Unsure what some of the controls do, like the giant foot pedal in the middle? lol

brdgbldr

if I remember right that is the parking brake
Yes the foot peddle in the middle is the brake. Pressed to front brake is on, pressed to rear break is off. Most of these however are either worn out or out of adjustment.

OP
OP
R

rodzilla67

Longshot here.
This is exactly what it was! I felt like a real dumbass. So what does pushing it to right do? Thank you so much for your help.

brdgbldr

Pushing the lever right and left engages the auxiliary hoses for attachments. (These hoses are on the left tilt arm.) Say for working a snow blade left and right or an auger clockwise or counterclockwise.
If you push the lever to the far right it engages a detent and holds the auxiliary hydraulics open until you move the lever to the left (reversing the flow). Some attachments need this to operate properly.

OP
OP
R

rodzilla67

Pushing the lever right and left engages the auxiliary hoses for attachments. (These hoses are on the left tilt arm.) Say for working a snow blade left and right or an auger clockwise or counterclockwise.
If you push the lever to the far right it engages a detent and holds the auxiliary hydraulics open until you move the lever to the left (reversing the flow). Some attachments need this to operate properly.
Perfect explanation, thanks.

Latest posts