742B want to use Root Grapple

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tango-Charlie

I have a 742B excellent gasser with auxiliary high flow hydraulics. It is a 36HP Mitsubishi with 11 gal/min. I use it for just about everything. The rated operating capacity is 1,300 lbs. with operating weight of 4730 lbs. Being no one is getting any younger and I cut wood to burn in the winter I figured a root grapple would be the way to go to assist in moving tree limbs and for moving brush. I've done a lot of research on various grapples and looking at CID being they're made in USA. The one I'm looking at is a heavy duty around 600 lbs which would cut my rated operating capacity in half. But I want to ensure the auxiliary hydraulics are capable of working a grapple being I'm at the lower end of 11 gal/min compared to larger machines. I wanted to ask a question and see if anyone has or is using a grapple on their 742/743 or had any problems or recommendations.

bshaw11

Be aware that ANY grapple with bar between forks near the front end will IMPEDE penetration into branch piles or trying to get underneath piles, I have a bobcat brand 66" industrial forks with round forks, Tried a 78" root grapple with cross bar close to front end and curse it every time I have to use it. It works good on Ice ridges too.

Attachments

• 0067289F-4A24-4430-BA53-1057B93CE43F.jpeg
    0067289F-4A24-4430-BA53-1057B93CE43F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80

foton

well you need to make up your mind on two things right off the bat that I can think of. First what type of bottom would you need the most? and next do you want two grapple arms or just one? I use a rock bucket bottom (so the dirt falls threw) and two hydraulic arms that away odd shaped things can be grabbed by both arms as they tension seperatly. your gpm is really not a concern using these,even with filling two cylinders much less if you use one on the attachment.

foton

I should have mentioned I have a 66 inch dirt bucket so I bought a 72 inch grapple rock bucket so one bucket will fit inside the other so when I travel I can take both buckets at the same time on the machine. just something to think about.

brdgbldr

I had a 742B and I opted for a 4-IN-1 also known as a combination bucket. Can be used as a bucket, dozer blade, scraper and grapple. The machines hydraulics have no problems with working a couple more cylinders.

The only time you would have problems may be with an attachment like a mower that needs a constant high flow through the auxiliary.

Last edited:

[email protected]

I have the same machine w/ same engine and factory original hydraulics w/ standard fittings. My grapple is of my own design and fabrication, requiring nothing special for flow or pressure. In 15 years of operation I have never needed more hydraulics than the machine can supply. Biggest problem is that the machine is light-weight.

OP
OP
Tango-Charlie

Tango-Charlie

Here's a couple images of the CID 66" that I'm looking at getting. Bshaw11 is this the type of bar you're talking about? I would think the forks have to be reinforced somehow.

Attachments

• CID66.pdf
    81.4 KB · Views: 118
  • CIDForks.pdf
    79.1 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
Tango-Charlie

Tango-Charlie

Hi all,
I finally made my purchase of a CID 66" root grapple as you can see in the attached pics. I used it for an afternoon and really happy with it and the weight I can carry. I've come across one issue that I can cure by adding some sort of hydraulic hose spring kit to keep the hoses from falling down in-between the arms and backplate. Has anyone purchased a hose spring kit and happy with it to keep the hoses from falling between frame and backplate and possibly getting pinched. I hate to weld something onto a new piece of equipment. I'm looking for anyone that has recommendations on which spring kit to purchase that they've had good luck with. Thanks, JD

Attachments

• 20220910_090704.jpg
    20220910_090704.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 85
  • 20220910_090700.jpg
    20220910_090700.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 80
  • 20220910_090551.jpg
    20220910_090551.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 89

foton

look on you tube there is a guy who made what you are looking for from a garage door spring, I made something close and it works pretty well. But you will get the idea and build to your needs.

OP
OP
Tango-Charlie

Tango-Charlie

Thanks for all the input and after a lot of research I'm probably going to go with the following if I can find a couple in stock:

Hydraulic_Hose_Saver.jpg

It's a Bradco Hose Saver Kit.

I'll then purchase a Semi trailer "Flag" or sign magnets and see if the magnet holds them so I don't have to drill any holes. I've used the magnets before to hold caution lights on top of my bobcat and it takes two hands to remove the magnets. Here's the type of heavy duty magnets I've used in the past with minor modifications:

TruckFlagMagnets.jpg

bshaw11

Here's a couple images of the CID 66" that I'm looking at getting. Bshaw11 is this the type of bar you're talking about? I would think the forks have to be reinforced somehow.
I am sorry I missed your question, but that is the bar, you will become accustom to it by easing up pile of branches, tilt down with grapples open while raising boom and ease over top of pile with grapples, I see you are using it and happy, ENJOY