742 wont run now

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hyp7

Hey guys new member here. I just purchaced a 742 and it ran fine. I was moving a dirt pile then it just shut down like I ran it out of gas. Filled it back up and now just wants to spin over but not run. I found a ground wire broke on the little thin on the fuel line (whats it do?) It fired right up after fixing the wire. It ran for 20 min then I shut it down and will not start again. Any Ideas? I was thinking on running a new fuel line from the tank to the carb and bypassing the little round thing it has 2 wires on it and have no idea what it does. thanks for the help. Also looking for any spare 742 parts you may have. Thanks hyp

mrfixitpaul

That is the fuel shut off solenoid in the fuel line. If you remove it you can have flooding issues when parked or trailering. As to your fuel problem, have you changed the fuel filter? If so, start at the bottom of the fuel pick up line in the tank, check for clogged or worn screen/cracked line (very common). Next check the elbow at the top of the tank and the fuel shut off valve for debris plugging them. If the fuel solenoid 'clicks' once when the power is applied to it it is probably working, but may have debris in it (unlikely)

jerry

That is the fuel shut off solenoid in the fuel line. If you remove it you can have flooding issues when parked or trailering. As to your fuel problem, have you changed the fuel filter? If so, start at the bottom of the fuel pick up line in the tank, check for clogged or worn screen/cracked line (very common). Next check the elbow at the top of the tank and the fuel shut off valve for debris plugging them. If the fuel solenoid 'clicks' once when the power is applied to it it is probably working, but may have debris in it (unlikely)
I think you have a drain plug on the bottom of the carb. Drain it into a clean container to see if you have dirt in carb then turn on key to see if you have fuel flow. You may have to crank it over if you have manual fuel pump so of course run a plastic hose out to a container so you don't have a fire.

jerry

I think you have a drain plug on the bottom of the carb. Drain it into a clean container to see if you have dirt in carb then turn on key to see if you have fuel flow. You may have to crank it over if you have manual fuel pump so of course run a plastic hose out to a container so you don't have a fire.
the little round thing on the line with the wire is the electric fuel shutoff solenoid, no flow without key on.

OP
OP
H

hyp7

the little round thing on the line with the wire is the electric fuel shutoff solenoid, no flow without key on.
Thanks for the replys. I got it going, I had a bad connection on the wire going to the selonoid behind the carb. I fixed the wire and you can hear a click. The round thing on the fuel line makes no noise at all I took it off and looked it over, it has a straight threw tube. How does it shut off the gas? It does get warm so is it possible it may be a preheater? The thing on the carb does make a click and if you unplug it , it kills the engine right away. Thanks again guys for the help.