742 with 1.6L Ford engine, need tune up help.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

frick

Hi all, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide. First, I did search all the relevant forums here, as well as googling for hours, and can't seem to find some basic information. Specifically, firing order of the engine, some sources list it as 1 2 4 3 and others 1 3 4 2. Second, my mechanic pulled the distributor cap, and did NOT mark the wires to the plugs, or to the the distributor, so he is not sure where the number one wire is located on the distributor cap itself. Yeah, I know, get a new mechanic, and a factory manual, but, what started out as a simple points, rotor, plugs, cap and wires has turned into a total pain in tookus. The machine is an early 742, under the 20001 magic number referred to on some manuals, and, as mentioned is using the ford 1.6 L industrial motor. THANKS for any help you can provide, and if anybody has a spare set of manuals they want to part with, I am ready to purchase a set, as all the ones I see on ebay refer to serial 20001 and above.

OldMachinist

The manual I have says 1-2-4-3 but its the 20001 and above manual. I wouldn't think that Ford changed it at any time.

OP
OP
F

frick

I just looked at my Ford tractor manuals and they all have the same firing order. 1243
Thanks on that, the 2nd order I listed was one for the "Kent Crossflow" from a google page, and it definitely DID NOT work earlier today when we tried that order. I do believe that he could find #1 TDC by checking the piston elevation, correct? it would either be ready to fire, or 180 degree's off if the piston is not on the spark stroke, If I remember correctly.

OldMachinist

Thanks on that, the 2nd order I listed was one for the "Kent Crossflow" from a google page, and it definitely DID NOT work earlier today when we tried that order. I do believe that he could find #1 TDC by checking the piston elevation, correct? it would either be ready to fire, or 180 degree's off if the piston is not on the spark stroke, If I remember correctly.
If you take the valve cover off and watch the valves on #1 cylinder the intake valve will close just before the compression stroke and the next time the TDC marks line up the rotor should be pointing to the #1 position on the cap.