742 Melroe Bobcat convert

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jerryo1314

Have a 1987 Melroe Bobcat #742 34 HP 4 cyl Gas Ford Eng plug agr-22 with neg ground. Distributor # ??? Has anyone tried a mallory breakerless kit for that engine? I have the manuals OM sent me but can't the Distributor #. I see these kits for $139 and hope all you do is replace the distributor internals to convert. Any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
J

jerryo1314

Update 4-18-12 Distributor #050 JFU4 Bosch 0231170307 with vacuum (.25 gap) 71BB12100BHA Looks like a PERTRONIX 1843 ignitor will fit that distributor. Will let the group know how things go. As far as I know the first plug is #1 and the book says to bring it to TDC and the rotor should point to the cut in the distributor. That cut is for cap fit I see no line. That puts the rotor pointing at the cut out and also the snap for cap. I think the probability will be if the coil can produce enough power. Stay tuned. Jerry

OP
OP
J

jerryo1314

Update 4-18-12 Distributor #050 JFU4 Bosch 0231170307 with vacuum (.25 gap) 71BB12100BHA Looks like a PERTRONIX 1843 ignitor will fit that distributor. Will let the group know how things go. As far as I know the first plug is #1 and the book says to bring it to TDC and the rotor should point to the cut in the distributor. That cut is for cap fit I see no line. That puts the rotor pointing at the cut out and also the snap for cap. I think the probability will be if the coil can produce enough power. Stay tuned. Jerry
Last update: I tested the coil and it produced 1.8 ohms but felt the weak spark was the coil so I bought the 3.0 fire coil from them. Still a weak spark. I finally found my inline spark tester and yes weak spark. The manual for the Pertronix 1843 said a gauge of .30 was included of course it was not there.. I finally opened the gap to .40 and it got bright, and then to .45 and I knew the timing light would work. I set the timing and away we went. I have run it now for months. It starts very easy with plenty of power. You may have to file the kit a little to get it to fit the distributor. The old setup even with new points rotor and etc. was hard to start now no problem. Rain or cool it starts with very little choke. So that is my story. Jerry

Tazza

Staff member
Last update: I tested the coil and it produced 1.8 ohms but felt the weak spark was the coil so I bought the 3.0 fire coil from them. Still a weak spark. I finally found my inline spark tester and yes weak spark. The manual for the Pertronix 1843 said a gauge of .30 was included of course it was not there.. I finally opened the gap to .40 and it got bright, and then to .45 and I knew the timing light would work. I set the timing and away we went. I have run it now for months. It starts very easy with plenty of power. You may have to file the kit a little to get it to fit the distributor. The old setup even with new points rotor and etc. was hard to start now no problem. Rain or cool it starts with very little choke. So that is my story. Jerry
Nice job. Something so simple can be such a pain.
Always good to hear a positive outcome!