732 with Ford 1.6L just won't start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

LazyKG

After reworking most of the fuel delivery system, the darn thing won't start - it wants to, it cranks and starts to fire, but stalls within a second or two after I stop cranking with the starter. I then need to let it sit with key on for 20 seconds or so before trying again - any less than that and it just cranks. After validating that I had spark and that the distributor appeared to be working properly, cleaning the carb, installing a carb kit, and replacing the fuel filter and fuel shut-off solenoid it was running fine. Then, one day after running for maybe 20 minutes or so, it just stalled and would not start. It acted like it was not getting enough fuel to run so fuel so I validated the solenoid was indeed working and that there was no restriction in the gravity fed fuel lines._____ Even though the mechanical pump was replaced with a new one just before I bought the machine in June of this year, it did not now seem to be pumping properly even though the fuel would gravity feed to it without problem (the tank is behind the seat and the outlet above the engine), when running gas from the pump into a can, the flow was unsteady, full of air bubbles, and even went backward as the motor cranked._____ I replaced it with a compatible electric model rated for the 2.5 - 4.5 PSI that the mechanical pump supposedly put out. I've wired it to the same circuit that the shut-off solenoid is on so the pump runs when the key is On and when the engine is running - power on from the key switch and on a line coming directly from the alternator. I am getting more fuel to the motor now than I was with the mechanical pump, it tries to start better than it did before, but still won't take off._____ I really need to get this thing going - it's sitting at the end of my driveway and winter's around the corner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jerry

Have you checked the ignition timing with a light? A lot of members here, including myself have had trouble with those fords that seems to be fuel and turns out to be ignition timing.

reaperman

I agree with jerry. Also check the points, they must be set to .025 when they come out of adjustment this engine won't run very well, if at all. A bad condenser could also be the culprit. If you haven't put in a tune up kit, rotor, cap, points, condenser, it would be money well spent.

OP
OP
L

LazyKG

I agree with jerry. Also check the points, they must be set to .025 when they come out of adjustment this engine won't run very well, if at all. A bad condenser could also be the culprit. If you haven't put in a tune up kit, rotor, cap, points, condenser, it would be money well spent.
I'll try jerry's suggestion, hopefully I can borrow a timing light. It seems unlikely to me that such things like timing could suddenly be that far off but I'm betting you guys no better than me (like I said, I'm no mechanic). _____ Do y'all suppose just getting the electronic ignition kit would be as good if not better than replacing the old with like components? I've read here in the forum about a kit being available for this motor. I'm not sure what the cost difference would be but I'll check with my local Napa store for the standard parts, they seem to be able to get most stuff for this beast. _____ Thanks, fellows.

jerry

I'll try jerry's suggestion, hopefully I can borrow a timing light. It seems unlikely to me that such things like timing could suddenly be that far off but I'm betting you guys no better than me (like I said, I'm no mechanic). _____ Do y'all suppose just getting the electronic ignition kit would be as good if not better than replacing the old with like components? I've read here in the forum about a kit being available for this motor. I'm not sure what the cost difference would be but I'll check with my local Napa store for the standard parts, they seem to be able to get most stuff for this beast. _____ Thanks, fellows.
My 632 acted very similar and after replacing the fuel pump, taking the solenoid out and carb off about 5 times I checked the timing and the distributor had moved or the points had shifted but resetting everything fixed it till I could afford a diesel. good luck though. One thing that can be erratic is the condenser in the dist.

OP
OP
L

LazyKG

My 632 acted very similar and after replacing the fuel pump, taking the solenoid out and carb off about 5 times I checked the timing and the distributor had moved or the points had shifted but resetting everything fixed it till I could afford a diesel. good luck though. One thing that can be erratic is the condenser in the dist.
Well, fellows, it's like this... ----- After setting the point gap correctly, cleaning the plugs and plug wire connections, setting the timing (as best I could while cranking the engine) with little of nothing to show for it, I hired my auto mechanic to come take a look. The choke linkage was not connected properly and the @#&*%*$! carb needed to be cleaned, specifically the inlet that the fuel shutoff solenoid closes. Put the carb back on and way she went! Best $100 I ever spent that didn't include drinks and a motel room! ----- Thanks for the advice, fellows; while those hints didn't get it started, it for darn sure did get it running smoother once it did start. ----- Lesson learned - when all else fails, clean the darn carb! Again!

Tazza

Staff member
Well, fellows, it's like this... ----- After setting the point gap correctly, cleaning the plugs and plug wire connections, setting the timing (as best I could while cranking the engine) with little of nothing to show for it, I hired my auto mechanic to come take a look. The choke linkage was not connected properly and the @#&*%*$! carb needed to be cleaned, specifically the inlet that the fuel shutoff solenoid closes. Put the carb back on and way she went! Best $100 I ever spent that didn't include drinks and a motel room! ----- Thanks for the advice, fellows; while those hints didn't get it started, it for darn sure did get it running smoother once it did start. ----- Lesson learned - when all else fails, clean the darn carb! Again!
Glad it's fixed, shame it was something so easily over looked.
Generally the carb is the first thing i check and clean. Yet i have been caught doing that and i must have missed something as it still didn't work. After pulling my hair out, i pulled the carb again and noticed a little dirt that i missed. After that it worked great.