731 troubles

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

polarisguy

So lately i have been having a issue with my 731, after dumping the buck and lowing the boom while driving ahead it seems like the the pumps cavitate and then the drive jerks and growls for sec and them alls back to normal and it only seems to do it while operating the boom and driving at the same time. so i figures i would clean the bronze filter and change the fluid, filter was clean but i noticed the sleeve over it that the book shows was not there. so two questions i guess is the sleeve necessary and dose anyone have a idea on the hydraulic issue.

OP
OP
polarisguy

polarisguy

So I may have been looking at the wrong diagram, I found another parts diagram online and it doesn't show the sleeve over the filter. still if anyone has had one out and knows ya or nay let me know.

Tazza

Staff member
So I may have been looking at the wrong diagram, I found another parts diagram online and it doesn't show the sleeve over the filter. still if anyone has had one out and knows ya or nay let me know.
What sleeve are you talking about? I know where the bronze filter is, not not a sleeve.
I wonder if you have lower charge pressure causing the drive issue. When it happens, do you feel that the steering levers have no resistance then all of a sudden it feels like something is biting at them?

OP
OP
polarisguy

polarisguy

What sleeve are you talking about? I know where the bronze filter is, not not a sleeve.
I wonder if you have lower charge pressure causing the drive issue. When it happens, do you feel that the steering levers have no resistance then all of a sudden it feels like something is biting at them?
Ok ya i gather i had the wrong diagram i think it was for a 743 and it has a sleave over the filter. But anyway i got it back together tonight and after filters and fluid change ( which wasent done all that long ago.) i ran it for a bit and found now it seems to make noise just moving the boom or bucket almost exactly like a bad power steering pump on a car and it seems to be lacking lift power. After running for a few mins i checked the oil tank and the fluid is all foam. So now i guess its just a matter of figuring out if its the pump or its sucking air somwhere.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok ya i gather i had the wrong diagram i think it was for a 743 and it has a sleave over the filter. But anyway i got it back together tonight and after filters and fluid change ( which wasent done all that long ago.) i ran it for a bit and found now it seems to make noise just moving the boom or bucket almost exactly like a bad power steering pump on a car and it seems to be lacking lift power. After running for a few mins i checked the oil tank and the fluid is all foam. So now i guess its just a matter of figuring out if its the pump or its sucking air somwhere.
I'd lean towards the pump or a leak too. The good thing is, if the vane pump is worn, they are pretty cheap to replace.
If the filters are clean, the bronze one and the main hydraulic filter in the back.