731 Excess Fuel Solenoid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

livewire

I just got a 731 that hasn't run in years. Serial Number 5006-11102. Hour meters says 2800 hours. Got it to start with a few hints from this forum. Everything seems to work but it's got a few minor problems. One is the excess fuel solenoid is frozen. I've found a part number 6599638 in an online parts manual but I can't find a replacement part on the interwebs. Any suggestions? Should I try the dealer instead? Another issue is the alternator. It doesn't seem to be charging. Checking the wiring it has low voltage on the wire with the diode in it, about 8 volts. Checking on the other side of the diode gets the same result so I don't think it's the diode. I'll just keep wire tracing on that one I think. Other than that I think it's all good. It needs new tires and I'm putting in new filters and changing all the fluids. I've found a few missing small parts (brake return spring, bolts here and there) that should be easy to replace. The muffler/spark arrestor is shot as are the exhaust pipes but I've ordered a new muffler and I'll get a muffler shop to bend a few pipes for me. Looking forward to getting some work done with this thing.

flyerdan

For the solenoid that is nla, since it doesn't work you've nothing to lose by trying to free it up using Kroil, liquid wrench, or everyone's favorite solvent - 50/50 mix of acetone and atf. Not sure what it's purpose it, but if it's only for like cold starts you could sub in a choke cable for manual operation if all else fails.
As for the alternator, chances are it has an external regulator, that would be a place to start. Make sure all the connections are corrosion free and tight, check the wiring for continuity. Most auto parts stores will test alternators, but it's in their best interest to sell them, so I'd be naturally suspect of dead diagnoses. If it's making any kind of voltage, it's likely somewhere else. It wouldn't hurt to open it up and check the bearings, make sure the brushes are good and free in their channels, clean the slip rings, etc.

Tazza

Staff member
For the solenoid that is nla, since it doesn't work you've nothing to lose by trying to free it up using Kroil, liquid wrench, or everyone's favorite solvent - 50/50 mix of acetone and atf. Not sure what it's purpose it, but if it's only for like cold starts you could sub in a choke cable for manual operation if all else fails.
As for the alternator, chances are it has an external regulator, that would be a place to start. Make sure all the connections are corrosion free and tight, check the wiring for continuity. Most auto parts stores will test alternators, but it's in their best interest to sell them, so I'd be naturally suspect of dead diagnoses. If it's making any kind of voltage, it's likely somewhere else. It wouldn't hurt to open it up and check the bearings, make sure the brushes are good and free in their channels, clean the slip rings, etc.
Mine never had the solenoid, I just gave it some throttle before I started it for the day, opened the back door and pressed the button, the pin falls down, I jump in and start it. When warm, it would re-start without issue.
As for the alternator, try hooking 12v to this terminal, see if your output voltage jumps to 14.4v. If not, the internal regulator may be bad. I believe you can substitute a newer alternator, a self exciting one does the job. Not sure on the model number for it though.

OP
OP
L

livewire

Mine never had the solenoid, I just gave it some throttle before I started it for the day, opened the back door and pressed the button, the pin falls down, I jump in and start it. When warm, it would re-start without issue.
As for the alternator, try hooking 12v to this terminal, see if your output voltage jumps to 14.4v. If not, the internal regulator may be bad. I believe you can substitute a newer alternator, a self exciting one does the job. Not sure on the model number for it though.
Voltage doesn't do anything when putting 12v on that terminal. I'll see if I can get the alternator tested/replaced somewhere locally. The solenoid is still an issue. As long as it's supposed to have it I'd like to make it work. The parts manuals I've found posted online skip over the 731 and go straight to the 740 series and I cant seem to find a comparable part number for the solenoid. Can anyone find a part number for this thing? The part numbers off the relay itself don't seem to bring up anything on the interwebs. The part number I got off it is 12D5V1B1 but it doesn't seem to cross to anything. Any help would be much appreciated. - Steve

flyerdan

Voltage doesn't do anything when putting 12v on that terminal. I'll see if I can get the alternator tested/replaced somewhere locally. The solenoid is still an issue. As long as it's supposed to have it I'd like to make it work. The parts manuals I've found posted online skip over the 731 and go straight to the 740 series and I cant seem to find a comparable part number for the solenoid. Can anyone find a part number for this thing? The part numbers off the relay itself don't seem to bring up anything on the interwebs. The part number I got off it is 12D5V1B1 but it doesn't seem to cross to anything. Any help would be much appreciated. - Steve
We know that it has a Deutz, and it should be a F2L511, so doing an image search of Deutz f2l522 excess fuel solenoid brings up a nice variety that hopefully will have one that matches what you have. Then you can switch over to the shopping tab and see if one is available.