709 backhoe cylinder seal help

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

otisdog

My bucket cylinder seal is leaking. Took it to a local (Southern California) hydraulic shop, and they said they would pull it apart and give me a quote. $575! Said it needed honing, etc. Told them I could buy a new cylinder for that much. So I got the disassembled unit back, with the seals in a bag. Couldn't find an aftermarket kit for the 2" rod, so spent $90 for a Bobcat set (7137933). Problem is I don't know which seal / O-ring goes where. I also think they buggered up one of the seals so bad that they didn't return it in the bag. How do I go about finding the correct locations for the seals? Tried watching Youtube, put it seems like they're mostly first timers that want to get famous and be on the big screen. Thanks for your help.

flyerdan

There are some good exploded diagrams as well as part numbers on Bobcat Parts Online
If the link doesn't take you to the cylinder, search from the dropdown >attachments>backhoe>loader>709 that will get you there.
There is also a hydraulic cylinder component manual in the manual thread that details how to take them apart and do the repairs.

Tazza

Staff member
There are some good exploded diagrams as well as part numbers on Bobcat Parts Online
If the link doesn't take you to the cylinder, search from the dropdown >attachments>backhoe>loader>709 that will get you there.
There is also a hydraulic cylinder component manual in the manual thread that details how to take them apart and do the repairs.
If you are still stuck, look up my profile and email me pictures of the seals and gland/piston i'll walk you through how to do it.
Seals are pretty easy most of the time. The main thing to watch is the seal lips, they always face the pressure side of the system. The more pressure on the lips, the harder they push, giving a better seal.