643 u-joint lubrication help.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

The service manual says to lube the u-joints every 250 hours, what it does not mention is how the heck to get at them to lube them. I had the operators seat lifted up and couldn't feel any zerks much less see any. I just got this unit & want to get maintenance up to snuff.
Thanks for any help with this question!
It appears I will also have to pull the pin where the bucket curl cylinder is attached to the bucket, it will not take grease.

spitzair

You will likely have to turn the engine over with a wrench/socket on the front crank pulley to get the u-joint into a position where you can reach them. I find on my 732 (same setup just a gas engine) when they're on the left side of the machine it's easiest to reach them. Opefully the last guy to install them put them in oine with each other. I find laying down on the pump and reaching in with my right hand works best. You'll need a grease gun with a really long hose for best results. It's actually not that bad once you've done it once or twice…

brdgbldr

Yeah my 742B is the same way. Cab up, lay on your stomach across the pump, and here is the trick, reach in around from next to the frame, not close to the u-joint. I've found this gives your hand a better angle to reach the zerks. It helps if you have a helper to turn the crank while you feel for the zerks. Also, get yourself something padded to lay on like an cheep moving blanket.

dfb

Make sure for grease the slide on the spline to the motor behind the u joint also.
My experience with my 742b was exactly the same as described here. The first time I looked to grease the u joints I thought it was impossible, it is not convenient to do but possible with the cab up and layed out on the machine reaching your right hand behind the pump to fish around for the fittings wishing my arm was 6 inches longer and had 3 elbows. If the machine were an animal eating you, this is what it would look like when you are greasing those fittings.