642 Hydraulic fluid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bfingar

Just got done changing the 4 hydrostatic hoses that go to the drive motors and also changed several of the steel hydraulic lines. Bottom line, there isn't much hydraulic fluid in the machine. When I purchased the machine, it had either 10W-30 or 10W-40 in it for hydraulic fluid. Is there any advantage to going back to regular hydraulic fluid or stick with the 10-W variety? opinions?

SkidRoe

With these old machines, I personally would stick with motor oil. It's cheap and it's readily available if you need some. I have run 10w30 for years with no problems, buy it by the 5 gallon pail from Walmart. And it is listed in the manual as a suitable alternative.
My $0.02 - SR

Tazza

Staff member
With these old machines, I personally would stick with motor oil. It's cheap and it's readily available if you need some. I have run 10w30 for years with no problems, buy it by the 5 gallon pail from Walmart. And it is listed in the manual as a suitable alternative.
My $0.02 - SR
I'm with SkidRoe, i have always run 20W50 or 15W40, whatever was cheap.
It never gets really cold over here, so there are no issues with it being too thick in cold weather.

OP
OP
B

bfingar

I'm with SkidRoe, i have always run 20W50 or 15W40, whatever was cheap.
It never gets really cold over here, so there are no issues with it being too thick in cold weather.
Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking.