632 backfire

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

das220

was using my machine for about an hour today running just fine, when i got a flat on the right rear tire. I got out to look at the tire with the machine running the engine backfired. I jumped back in and shut it off, trying to figure out what had happened. looked over the engine and at looked to be OK. Then got back in and re-stared the machine and drove 60 to 80 feet to hard ground where I could change the tire. the machine backfired again before i shut it down. what kind of problem could this be? What should I be looking for? Or is it because the engine was running and the machine tilting back from the flat tire. PS: looking for a good was to free the rusty lug nuts on the flat, having one hell of a time with them.

m610

Most likely a vacuum leak or screwy distributor. Do you have the Ford 4 cylinder engine? Check your timing and vacuum to try and see what happens when it backfires. As for rusty lug nuts soak them with penetrating oil and use an impact wrench. Hopefully they will not break off.

OP
OP
D

das220

Most likely a vacuum leak or screwy distributor. Do you have the Ford 4 cylinder engine? Check your timing and vacuum to try and see what happens when it backfires. As for rusty lug nuts soak them with penetrating oil and use an impact wrench. Hopefully they will not break off.
m610 thanks for the reply And thanks for the input! I got the tire of this morning after soaking with deep creep. sorry just an average Joe with not much for tools. had to do lug nuts with a 1/2: drive and pipe. Yes i have the Ford engine i see the distributor but not sure where the vacuum hose is. Next problem when i got the tire off I found that there where two of the four bolts missing that bolt the axle to the frame the other to where gust about to come off. I tightened the two that where there the one's that you can reach from the engine side the other two I will have to do tomorrow when i get some new bolts and remove the seat, to get the nuts on. the axle bracket has slip down a 1/16" or so from the frame. you can tell by the paint mark. should I jack the axle back up to the mark and re-bolt before I but the tire back on. Or should I but the tire on then let the machine down on the axle before i but the bolts back in. Greatfull for any and all help.

Skiddy

m610 thanks for the reply And thanks for the input! I got the tire of this morning after soaking with deep creep. sorry just an average Joe with not much for tools. had to do lug nuts with a 1/2: drive and pipe. Yes i have the Ford engine i see the distributor but not sure where the vacuum hose is. Next problem when i got the tire off I found that there where two of the four bolts missing that bolt the axle to the frame the other to where gust about to come off. I tightened the two that where there the one's that you can reach from the engine side the other two I will have to do tomorrow when i get some new bolts and remove the seat, to get the nuts on. the axle bracket has slip down a 1/16" or so from the frame. you can tell by the paint mark. should I jack the axle back up to the mark and re-bolt before I but the tire back on. Or should I but the tire on then let the machine down on the axle before i but the bolts back in. Greatfull for any and all help.
I would try to get it back to where it was when new. that is somewhat critical as the pump was lined up correctly when built to make sure it is inline correctly with the motor. if that moves up or down that is messing with this alignment.

OP
OP
D

das220

I would try to get it back to where it was when new. that is somewhat critical as the pump was lined up correctly when built to make sure it is inline correctly with the motor. if that moves up or down that is messing with this alignment.
that makes sense I will try and jake it back up and then re-bolt it, to the old marks the best I can it should be a little easy'er with the tire off. I can't tell if there are lock washers on the other nuts should i use lock washers and do you know what they should be torgue too. thanks again!

Skiddy

that makes sense I will try and jake it back up and then re-bolt it, to the old marks the best I can it should be a little easy'er with the tire off. I can't tell if there are lock washers on the other nuts should i use lock washers and do you know what they should be torgue too. thanks again!
All of those bolts that I have looked at were black oxide finish flange head bolts using flange head nuts. grade 8. I don't see why a grade 8 with grade 8 nuts and washers would not be fine. Or you could just go to your bobcat dealer and get the exact bolt and nut that was in it when new. I would use some locktite as well. Not sure on the torque.

OP
OP
D

das220

All of those bolts that I have looked at were black oxide finish flange head bolts using flange head nuts. grade 8. I don't see why a grade 8 with grade 8 nuts and washers would not be fine. Or you could just go to your bobcat dealer and get the exact bolt and nut that was in it when new. I would use some locktite as well. Not sure on the torque.
Hi skiddy thanks for the input on this. IF any one cares I got it all but back together tonight. man this machine is not easy for just one guy to work on, bolt on the out side of machine nuts on the inside what a tough time trying to get lock-washers & nuts on without the bolts falling out but we got it back to the marks and torqe back down i did use grade 8 bolts and lock tight but I think I will keep an eye on them for a couple of months. but a new 10 ply tire on hope that last for long time. i cant say i like changing flats on a Bobcat!! I ran the machine for about an 1/2 hour and no backfire! not sure what to do next I think I will just run it for a few more hours and see if it does it again. Skiddy it was nice to here your input and thanks again!

jerry

there is a vacuum hose from a nipple on the intake manifold down to the underside of the dist where it connects to the vacuum advance. you also have mechanical advance in the bottom of the dist, it could be rusted up and sticky. maybe your flat tire just sloshed the gas in the carb bowl enough to get a rich mixture into the exhaust system. if it did not happen again that is what I would suspect.