610 front axle removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

6brnorma

Slide hammer! Pull the outer hub……. much easier to rebuild the entire assembly on a bench, leave the inner hub in place. You'll need a large wrench on the nut inside the case and loosen it by turning the axle with a bar between the lug nuts (careful with threads). Dirty job but not bad.

OP
OP
B

Beekeeper

Slide hammer! Pull the outer hub……. much easier to rebuild the entire assembly on a bench, leave the inner hub in place. You'll need a large wrench on the nut inside the case and loosen it by turning the axle with a bar between the lug nuts (careful with threads). Dirty job but not bad.
I started the removal of the front axle today, looks like it will be no big deal, just a bit of work. The engine conversion to the Briggs is even better than I originally thought. I will post a few pics soon.

mmsllc

I started the removal of the front axle today, looks like it will be no big deal, just a bit of work. The engine conversion to the Briggs is even better than I originally thought. I will post a few pics soon.
When you do the engine swap, take a few pictures. They will help you put everything back together incase something comes up & the project has to be delayed. They will also be cool to show off what you accomplished as well.

OP
OP
B

Beekeeper

When you do the engine swap, take a few pictures. They will help you put everything back together incase something comes up & the project has to be delayed. They will also be cool to show off what you accomplished as well.
I have plenty of pics, I just cannot get them to upload to the site.

OP
OP
B

Beekeeper

I made a slide hammer in my ship, worked well and removed both front axles. The existing axles were ok, and each axle had 4 seals two on each axle side. Here is the question, the axle repair kit only contains three seals, one illustration in the manual shows all four seals and one illustration only shows three. Are there four on each side or three?

6brnorma

I made a slide hammer in my ship, worked well and removed both front axles. The existing axles were ok, and each axle had 4 seals two on each axle side. Here is the question, the axle repair kit only contains three seals, one illustration in the manual shows all four seals and one illustration only shows three. Are there four on each side or three?
Interesting……..I never run mine with the brake set up so I've never noticed that but you are correct…..the "service manual" shows two inner seals while the "parts manual" shows only one. I pulled one apart the other day and made it into a "non-brake" set up……I'll check and see whether it had one or two. The solution is simple either way…..those seals can be purchased individually….SKF #19992. Think I paid something under $5.00 on amazon for some recently. The SKF seal is not near the quality of the Bobcat seal but if you are running two of them (one SKF and one from the Kit) they should work fine. Did your kit come with the Speedi Sleeve/Wear Sleeve? Repair of the Seal Running Surface is often more crucial than the seal itself ….. you may need two of them also.

6brnorma

Interesting……..I never run mine with the brake set up so I've never noticed that but you are correct…..the "service manual" shows two inner seals while the "parts manual" shows only one. I pulled one apart the other day and made it into a "non-brake" set up……I'll check and see whether it had one or two. The solution is simple either way…..those seals can be purchased individually….SKF #19992. Think I paid something under $5.00 on amazon for some recently. The SKF seal is not near the quality of the Bobcat seal but if you are running two of them (one SKF and one from the Kit) they should work fine. Did your kit come with the Speedi Sleeve/Wear Sleeve? Repair of the Seal Running Surface is often more crucial than the seal itself ….. you may need two of them also.
On page F11 of the parts manual it shows an exploded view of the entire assembly, WITH the drum attached, and in that view it does show two seals. Think I'd go with the two seal set up.

OP
OP
B

Beekeeper

On page F11 of the parts manual it shows an exploded view of the entire assembly, WITH the drum attached, and in that view it does show two seals. Think I'd go with the two seal set up.
I did reassemble using four seals, I installed the Bobcat seal on the inner and the SKF 20005 on the outer. The SKF is a double ring seal and has a stainless steel spring which is better, It is a bit thicker, but that makes no difference. I have completed both front axle assemblies and reinstalled them and now moving on to the rear axles. Yes the speedy sleeve is included in the axle kit, but the axle kit only comes with 3 seals and not four as depicted in the manual. I should have the rear axles completed on Friday and will move on to inspection of the clutches and adjustment of the drive train. The step after that will be the hydraulics and the fifth wheel rebuild. Slow but sure I am making progress. I wish I could figure out this pic upload problem so I could share my progress.

OP
OP
B

Beekeeper

I did reassemble using four seals, I installed the Bobcat seal on the inner and the SKF 20005 on the outer. The SKF is a double ring seal and has a stainless steel spring which is better, It is a bit thicker, but that makes no difference. I have completed both front axle assemblies and reinstalled them and now moving on to the rear axles. Yes the speedy sleeve is included in the axle kit, but the axle kit only comes with 3 seals and not four as depicted in the manual. I should have the rear axles completed on Friday and will move on to inspection of the clutches and adjustment of the drive train. The step after that will be the hydraulics and the fifth wheel rebuild. Slow but sure I am making progress. I wish I could figure out this pic upload problem so I could share my progress.
Almost finished with the main frame rebuild. I completed all the hydraulics except one line that I must have made. The electrical is finished and tested except for installing a new hour meter and ammeter. I tested the electrical and she is ready to go. The new clutch plates will be installed today along with the hydraulic filter. I also flushed out the fuel tank and to my surprise it was not bad at all. After the main frame is completed I am moving on to the fifth wheel and mast, looks like the thing is coming together.

6brnorma

Almost finished with the main frame rebuild. I completed all the hydraulics except one line that I must have made. The electrical is finished and tested except for installing a new hour meter and ammeter. I tested the electrical and she is ready to go. The new clutch plates will be installed today along with the hydraulic filter. I also flushed out the fuel tank and to my surprise it was not bad at all. After the main frame is completed I am moving on to the fifth wheel and mast, looks like the thing is coming together.
I hate this not being able to post pics business (or edit posts)……Beek has been keeping me up to date with pics and he is doing an outstanding job. Mechanically, this machine is going to be as/or better then new. I've had Rosary Beads out hoping for an 'updated' site. Please Geoff………bring this site into the 21st Century.

OP
OP
B

Beekeeper

I hate this not being able to post pics business (or edit posts)……Beek has been keeping me up to date with pics and he is doing an outstanding job. Mechanically, this machine is going to be as/or better then new. I've had Rosary Beads out hoping for an 'updated' site. Please Geoff………bring this site into the 21st Century.
Yes, please get us out of Jurassic picture posting !!! I would love to share my progress through pics, and I thought Lotus Notes were a bit strange.