610 belt flipping over

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Unicam

Finally finished bolting and blocking up my driven sheave. drove it around a short bit, everything was fine, then while making some turns my belt flipped. In my haste i didn't have good alignment of the pulleys. I pulled the thing back apart and set proper alignment of the sheaves but the belt flipped back over while making some more turns. i'm thinking two things and please give your opinions. One, the belt was damaged the first time it flipped ( alignment was off about 1/2" so i see why it did). so the belt was damaged. it got very oily from handling both times, it's covered in grease and oil. also i'm concerned that i'm putting too much pressure to the variable sheave pulling the belt way too tight. thoughts? i put a thick spacer under the allen set screw before and i'm thinking that is putting too much pressure on the belt and system. if i remove the thick washer, will that reduce the pressure being applied to the variable sheave? it's pulling it so tight, it's actually slightly rolling it / deforming it. also the variable sheave doesn't want to fully let go of the belt when i pull the handle back. thoughts on that too? thanks for the help, nathan

OP
OP
U

Unicam

to clarify, i will order a new belt and clean everything as good as i can. i guess my main question is if it's being pulled too tight. i believe it is. will this be corrected by removing the washer from under the allen? and why doesn't the variable sheave retract like it should? thank you

6brnorma

to clarify, i will order a new belt and clean everything as good as i can. i guess my main question is if it's being pulled too tight. i believe it is. will this be corrected by removing the washer from under the allen? and why doesn't the variable sheave retract like it should? thank you
The shim/washer under the allen screw only increases speed of opening and closing of the sheave…..not the tension on the belt. It should take several seconds to open and to close when at the correct pressure. There is no additional pressure on the belt regardless of the hydraulic pressure.
There should always be contact with the belt in the "high" or "low" speed positions of the variable speed sheave.
My guess is the belt has been damaged and will not function correctly until you have a new belt and correct alignment.

OP
OP
U

Unicam

The shim/washer under the allen screw only increases speed of opening and closing of the sheave…..not the tension on the belt. It should take several seconds to open and to close when at the correct pressure. There is no additional pressure on the belt regardless of the hydraulic pressure.
There should always be contact with the belt in the "high" or "low" speed positions of the variable speed sheave.
My guess is the belt has been damaged and will not function correctly until you have a new belt and correct alignment.
ok thank you. I ordered a belt today, probably take a week to get it. I'll get it on, recheck alignment and clean everything up. my variable speed sheave does slam shut to quickly, i'll remove the shim on that too. thank you

6brnorma

ok thank you. I ordered a belt today, probably take a week to get it. I'll get it on, recheck alignment and clean everything up. my variable speed sheave does slam shut to quickly, i'll remove the shim on that too. thank you
Yes…..slow that way down. The 'slam' damages the brass 'gland' inside the roto-swivel assembly and worse yet … it wears on the retaining lock ring of the variable speed sheave and will cause the lock ring to fail or break out the lock ring groove which in turn stops your ability to move at all.

OP
OP
U

Unicam

Yes…..slow that way down. The 'slam' damages the brass 'gland' inside the roto-swivel assembly and worse yet … it wears on the retaining lock ring of the variable speed sheave and will cause the lock ring to fail or break out the lock ring groove which in turn stops your ability to move at all.
well thank you for that info. unfortunately that probably explains why i developed a new leak in the sheave and also why the snap ring looking thing ( haven't taken it apart yet but it looks like a snap ring) is being pushed out, it doesn't look right. i'm very disappointed with myself as more than likely these issues are new and caused by me. I knew it wasn't right too. in about as much time as to snap your finger, the sheave would snap closed. it was impossible to feather the lever, a fast bump of the lever and the sheave would be closed in full high speed range. deep sigh. live and learn i guess. I'll remove that shim under the allen and set it as slow as i can. i'd rather have it too slow than the way it is now. I'll try to give that snap ring a good inspection when i have the belt off to, more than likely it should be replaced to try and eliminate any more damage to the snap-ring groove in the sheave, it must be deformed to be sticking out like it is.

OP
OP
U

Unicam

well thank you for that info. unfortunately that probably explains why i developed a new leak in the sheave and also why the snap ring looking thing ( haven't taken it apart yet but it looks like a snap ring) is being pushed out, it doesn't look right. i'm very disappointed with myself as more than likely these issues are new and caused by me. I knew it wasn't right too. in about as much time as to snap your finger, the sheave would snap closed. it was impossible to feather the lever, a fast bump of the lever and the sheave would be closed in full high speed range. deep sigh. live and learn i guess. I'll remove that shim under the allen and set it as slow as i can. i'd rather have it too slow than the way it is now. I'll try to give that snap ring a good inspection when i have the belt off to, more than likely it should be replaced to try and eliminate any more damage to the snap-ring groove in the sheave, it must be deformed to be sticking out like it is.
I'm going to try to upload a couple pictures. To me, it looks like a snap ring is being pushed out the way it's cocked.  photo 09507A98-C38B-4CB7-8407-712018558E86_zpsx8hawyyx.jpg And  photo EF248359-B69D-4F50-82D1-AF3CBC7D7778_zpskl0suifp.jpg

6brnorma

I'm going to try to upload a couple pictures. To me, it looks like a snap ring is being pushed out the way it's cocked. And
Yep…….and the worst part is that I believe you will find wear on the lock ring groove and that it is nearing failure. I have had 'some' luck using a very small file and dressing that groove up when you rebuild it……..good luck.

Tazza

Staff member
Yep…….and the worst part is that I believe you will find wear on the lock ring groove and that it is nearing failure. I have had 'some' luck using a very small file and dressing that groove up when you rebuild it……..good luck.
Doesn't look fun to repair.... Weld up the groove and machine a new snap ring groove in a lathe would be the only way to do it right. No doubt that part is expensive to get new :(

6brnorma

Doesn't look fun to repair.... Weld up the groove and machine a new snap ring groove in a lathe would be the only way to do it right. No doubt that part is expensive to get new :(
I saved up eight of them and had exactly that done to them. Unfortunately, the ole boy that did the welding wasn't near as good at welding stainless as he claimed. They work fine but find a "good" tig welder to do the job.

Latest posts