6 way dozer blade

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Chandler

I was looking at a dozer blade for my 773 and was wondering if it would be better spreading and leveling gravel and dirt. I do think the tilt/angle would help a lot. Would like the opinion of some of you who have experience with one.

Fishfiles

personal opinion , on a wheeled machine a 6 way dozer blade is about as useful as tits on a bull hog

Tazza

Staff member
Even when running tracks you would think I could get just a little milk?
*giggle*
The other issue you may have with the blade, do you have the electrical harness to the front couplers? you need it to control the blade, if you don't, it will add extra cost to the project.... New harness then the computer will no doubt need programming.

bobbie-g

*giggle*
The other issue you may have with the blade, do you have the electrical harness to the front couplers? you need it to control the blade, if you don't, it will add extra cost to the project.... New harness then the computer will no doubt need programming.
I have a 4-way blade. Useful only for moving snow, and maybe gravel or sand. Is not stout enough to cut dirt or do any dirt grading. I talked to a guy who had a Great-Err (blade with a stout frame and a couple of wheels out front). Even that rig didn't have enough oomph to cut dirt. It would do fair on dirt that was loose. I would stick with a bucket if you want to cut dirt and do any grading. But I don't have a lot of experience on a skid steer yet, still learning. :) ---RC

OP
OP
C

Chandler

I have a 4-way blade. Useful only for moving snow, and maybe gravel or sand. Is not stout enough to cut dirt or do any dirt grading. I talked to a guy who had a Great-Err (blade with a stout frame and a couple of wheels out front). Even that rig didn't have enough oomph to cut dirt. It would do fair on dirt that was loose. I would stick with a bucket if you want to cut dirt and do any grading. But I don't have a lot of experience on a skid steer yet, still learning. :) ---RC
I was thinking of using it mostly for pushing and leveling loose dirt and gravel. I liked it because it will tilt up and down and from side to side. It's not something that would be used everyday or even every week but on some jobs it would be useful. What would be involved in getting the computer programmed tazza?

Tazza

Staff member
I was thinking of using it mostly for pushing and leveling loose dirt and gravel. I liked it because it will tilt up and down and from side to side. It's not something that would be used everyday or even every week but on some jobs it would be useful. What would be involved in getting the computer programmed tazza?
Simply take the machine to the dealer, they plug in the lappy and kit a few buttons to tell the computer there are attachments. Not sure why its not already coded for them if people decide to later add them..... It kind of makes sense to have it setup already.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

Simply take the machine to the dealer, they plug in the lappy and kit a few buttons to tell the computer there are attachments. Not sure why its not already coded for them if people decide to later add them..... It kind of makes sense to have it setup already.
Thanks a lot! Another option might be a bobtach tilt. Anyone used one of those?

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks a lot! Another option might be a bobtach tilt. Anyone used one of those?
If you're talking about a tilt tach, they will reduce your lifting abilities. It will do away with the need for wiring as the tilt will operate from your aux hydraulics.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

If you're talking about a tilt tach, they will reduce your lifting abilities. It will do away with the need for wiring as the tilt will operate from your aux hydraulics.
I was interested mostly in it for grading purposes. Think it would still lift a bucket of gravel or dirt?

Tazza

Staff member
I was interested mostly in it for grading purposes. Think it would still lift a bucket of gravel or dirt?
It sure would lift a bucket of dirt, but it would reduce the ability by about 2-300 kg. Its something you can still work with, you just need to lift smaller amounts. If you need to move a lot of dirt, you can remove the tilt tach anway and just put the bucket on.

shooterm

It sure would lift a bucket of dirt, but it would reduce the ability by about 2-300 kg. Its something you can still work with, you just need to lift smaller amounts. If you need to move a lot of dirt, you can remove the tilt tach anway and just put the bucket on.
If its for grading loose material just build yourself a platform by hand if need be and keep pushing off it to keep the grade. Its alot like excavator operator cutting grade with buckets. Just keep yourself a level under your tires adding material under your tires as needed. I still havent figured out a decent way to keep grade on hardpan though, just takes to long to be practical.