543 Wants to stall under load

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jkwilson

Haven't used it hard in a while, but tried to put it to doing real work and it wants to bog down and die when you push it into a gravel pile. Background: 1990 543 with the Kubota Diesel 1340 hours Air filters and fuel filter changed since the problem showed itself. No indication they had any issues. Tank pickup was removed to replace broken hose a couple of years ago. Strainer was clean at that time. Engine starts very easily. I usually follow the glow plug procedure in the operators manual, but have inadvertently cranked it over when it was 35 degrees out and it started easily. Starts first time, every time (except when I forget to turn the fuel on.). Engine runs well otherwise at all angles and ground speeds. Controls are responsive and equal. Engine will immediately restart easily after stalling and may have just a hair more power for a few seconds after restarting. If you used it to load mulch, you'd never notice you had a problem. Hope I've given all the information you need. I appreciate any help.

Tazza

Staff member
Does it smoke when it bogs down?
Even though you have replaced the filters, its possible you have a bad lift pump not giving as much fuel as is needed when under load.
Has the bleed screw been closed on the injector pump? if fitted to assist in priming.

skidsteer.ca

Even though you have replaced the filters, its possible you have a bad lift pump not giving as much fuel as is needed when under load.
Has the bleed screw been closed on the injector pump? if fitted to assist in priming.
Extend the fuel line and put the squessze primer bilb in the cab and you can assist the fuel pump and see if that improves power.
Ken

OP
OP
J

jkwilson

Bleed screw is tight. I triple checked it after I read this. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
J

jkwilson

Bleed screw is tight. I triple checked it after I read this. Thanks for the input.
Ken, for some reason I get an error trying to reply to your post. I'm going to try replying to mine: Ken, I saw you had suggested this in another topic, and plan to try it. I'm going to try to get a piece of fuel line on the way home from work tonight to try it. I appreciate the advice.

mrfixitpaul

Ken, for some reason I get an error trying to reply to your post. I'm going to try replying to mine: Ken, I saw you had suggested this in another topic, and plan to try it. I'm going to try to get a piece of fuel line on the way home from work tonight to try it. I appreciate the advice.
Make sure that the engine stop lever is moving fully to the run when the cable is pushed down.

OP
OP
J

jkwilson

Make sure that the engine stop lever is moving fully to the run when the cable is pushed down.
Checked the stop cable last night. It seems to be moving fully, but I was running out of light to be sure. Getting ready for the holidays and short days has made it hard for me to find time to look at it lately.