463 stopped running

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rescuer

I have a 463 with the 3 cyl kubota engine. Lots of mech skills but not much diesel exp. This machine has about 500 hrs on it. It was running normally at about 1/2 throttle when it suddenly started running very rough and quit. Immediately it would not restart, I thought it was out of fuel. It turned out it was not out of fuel. After sitting a few minuites, it will start up and run/sound normal about 3-5 seconds then shut off. Immediate cranking the engine gets no attempt to start but produces noticeable black smoke from exhaust. Let the machine set a few minutes and again it starts/runs for a few seconds and shuts down and then wont start with black smoke coming from exhaust while cranking. I changed the fuel filter, bled it it out, bled the bleed screw on the injector pump and pumped the primer bulb over and over. The primer bulb never really gets hard but is firm to squeeze. Pulled out the fuel pickup tube from the tank and it is in tact, I see no issues. pulled the return line from the tank that comes from the last injector and fuel flows from it when you squeeze the bulb. Pulled the air cleaner, no issue and will not run without it in the canister. I can feel and hear the fuel shut off solenoid clicking hard when the key is turned on. I believe the engine is getting fuel due to the black smoke. If this were a gas engine I would say it was flooding out due to the engine starting after sitting but the engine runs smooth for the few seconds it runs. I find no emergency air cut off on this engine. The intake pipe runs straight from filter housing to intake. Ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!!

SkidRoe

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.
You seem to have checked all of the obvious stuff.
I am left wondering if it is an injection pump issue or a restricted fuel line that is not quite fully blocked.
Have you tried cranking it for about 10 seconds with the injection lines cracked at the injectors to see if you are getting fuel to all three injectors?
The only other thing I can suggest is rigging up a temporary gravity fed fuel supply directly to the fuel filter (or directly to the injection pump if you are brave) to fully rule out a fuel supply issue.
Cheers - SR

Bswwood

Also make sure your auxiliary hydraulics are not engaged. Your right hand handle will move left and right to engage the auxiliaries.

OP
OP
R

rescuer

Also make sure your auxiliary hydraulics are not engaged. Your right hand handle will move left and right to engage the auxiliaries.
Well, my new friend Bswwood hit it right on the head! The right control handle was stuck in the far right position! After weeks if tinkering with thing in the middle of the field, I Moved it out of a locked position and it started right up. Locked it back and once my backhoe bucket fully closed it killed the engine in a few seconds. The only question I'm left with is, is the right handle supposed to lock far right like that or is it in need of some PM? Thank you ALL for reading and responding! This really helped!

SkidRoe

Well, my new friend Bswwood hit it right on the head! The right control handle was stuck in the far right position! After weeks if tinkering with thing in the middle of the field, I Moved it out of a locked position and it started right up. Locked it back and once my backhoe bucket fully closed it killed the engine in a few seconds. The only question I'm left with is, is the right handle supposed to lock far right like that or is it in need of some PM? Thank you ALL for reading and responding! This really helped!
Great catch, I keep forgetting that one, as my 440b does not have that feature.
This is something that your machine is supposed to do. If you have an attachment, like a backhoe, that requires constant flow, you lock the aux hydraulics on.
Cheers - SR

Bswwood

Glad that is all it was. That is the #1 reason 90% of those wont start. I've driven 6 hours round trip for that issue even after telling the guy to check the auxiliaries!