463 Stall Out

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Orgnoi1

Of course furthest from the house...
We had been running all day moving things around... last chore was to bring a water tank down to the RC car track so we could start wetting down the dust... needless to say the bobcat stalled... and would restart but failed to run, it would buck a little...come up to speed and then bail out on me again... when it would run it started rich and wouldnt idle... I finally got it up to the garage after about 5 starts and moves... so now its clean and dry and can be worked on...
Any suggestions?

mrfixitpaul

You have diesel, not gas in the tank right?? Check and see if the fuel primer bulb is collapsing, when the machine stalls, indicating a plugged fuel pickup in the tank or some other problem between the tank and the primer bulb. Check and make sure the fuel cap is venting.

OP
OP
Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1

You have diesel, not gas in the tank right?? Check and see if the fuel primer bulb is collapsing, when the machine stalls, indicating a plugged fuel pickup in the tank or some other problem between the tank and the primer bulb. Check and make sure the fuel cap is venting.
LOL well thats a trick question... and one that basically answers the problem... no I didnt have gas in the tank... and well... I didnt have diesel either... the gauge stuck (its BRAND NEW) and basically when I was on the hill it ran it dry... ... so... problem solved...

mrfixitpaul

LOL well thats a trick question... and one that basically answers the problem... no I didnt have gas in the tank... and well... I didnt have diesel either... the gauge stuck (its BRAND NEW) and basically when I was on the hill it ran it dry... ... so... problem solved...
Simple enough to fix....

Tazza

Staff member
yup... and to get quite the ribbing from a few folks around the house as well...LOL
We have all been caught.
It may be the gauge and not the sender. Gauges do stick, especially when they are old.

OP
OP
Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1

We have all been caught.
It may be the gauge and not the sender. Gauges do stick, especially when they are old.
well theres no sender on this... its a stick gauge... on the right side cap... the kind with the piece of cork that floats....LOL

Tazza

Staff member
well theres no sender on this... its a stick gauge... on the right side cap... the kind with the piece of cork that floats....LOL
OH!!!
Sounds like the 453 i have at home. I just tap the tank and see if it *sounds* like it needs fuel. The other option is a "calibrated" fuel stick! Simply take the cap out and dunk, if there is a wet fuel mark, it has fuel, if not.....
I'm glad my 743/753/763 is so simple to prime, fill with fuel, open the bleed screw and pump the hand primer. Close valve and re-start. Can't get easier than that.

Hardscaper

OH!!!
Sounds like the 453 i have at home. I just tap the tank and see if it *sounds* like it needs fuel. The other option is a "calibrated" fuel stick! Simply take the cap out and dunk, if there is a wet fuel mark, it has fuel, if not.....
I'm glad my 743/753/763 is so simple to prime, fill with fuel, open the bleed screw and pump the hand primer. Close valve and re-start. Can't get easier than that.
I have a 97' 753 kubota diesel. I also have a problem with the fuel gauge always reading a 1/4 tank higher (better than lower) but my main problem is that we are experiencing consistent stall outs. The problem began when an employee ran it out of fuel. The fuel system picked up some sediment and clogged up the fuel lines. We drained and changed the fuel filter we ended up taking off the gas cap and using our air compressor to back blow the fuel line to the fuel tank. This freed up the line and we reconnected the lines to the primer bulb. It freed up the system, we were able to prime the system and it started right up. What we figured out is that now the machine stalls out once the machine goes thru about 1/2 gallon of diesel. What we think happened is that when we put the air to the system it moved the fuel intake line in the tank to the top or it goes up to the top and loops back down...maybe we blew the line that goes down off. Anyone have any feedback they can give me?

OldMachinist

I have a 97' 753 kubota diesel. I also have a problem with the fuel gauge always reading a 1/4 tank higher (better than lower) but my main problem is that we are experiencing consistent stall outs. The problem began when an employee ran it out of fuel. The fuel system picked up some sediment and clogged up the fuel lines. We drained and changed the fuel filter we ended up taking off the gas cap and using our air compressor to back blow the fuel line to the fuel tank. This freed up the line and we reconnected the lines to the primer bulb. It freed up the system, we were able to prime the system and it started right up. What we figured out is that now the machine stalls out once the machine goes thru about 1/2 gallon of diesel. What we think happened is that when we put the air to the system it moved the fuel intake line in the tank to the top or it goes up to the top and loops back down...maybe we blew the line that goes down off. Anyone have any feedback they can give me?
The line in the tank is likely broke off. It was probally getting ready to break and blowing out the clog did it in. Pop the grommet out and pull the line to see how long it is.

Iowa Dave

Get yourself a clean piece of wood or steel and tie on the ROPS to use for a measuring stick. Those cork twist-type gauges are JUNK. Don't waste your money on another one. I bet I bought 4 or 5 before I learned they are all junk.Easier to just fill it up each time you are going to use it than measure it, but having a clean stick on board is nice sometimes.

Tazza

Staff member
Get yourself a clean piece of wood or steel and tie on the ROPS to use for a measuring stick. Those cork twist-type gauges are JUNK. Don't waste your money on another one. I bet I bought 4 or 5 before I learned they are all junk.Easier to just fill it up each time you are going to use it than measure it, but having a clean stick on board is nice sometimes.
The fuel is sucked from the bottom, full or empty, it comes from the same place. I'd change the fuel lines, just to be sure there are no cracks, it dries out an gets rather brittle with age and sitting in fuel.
Ensure you don't have any leaks at the connections between the tank and engine, if its drawing in air, it can cause it to get an air lock and stall.
Good idea on the clean stick, i have done that a few times.