453 problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tambo303

Hi, I just purchased a bobcat 453. I drove down from Colorado to Miami to pick it up so it is from a wet salty climate. The company I bought it from had just put a fresh coat of paint on it and done some light maintenance. The hydraulic fluid in the back of the machine(The dipstick under the engine) looks pretty good and it looks like the filters have been changed recently. However when you flip the cab up, what I'm guessing is the main hydraulic filter has not been replaced in a while. I was looking at the owners manual online and it says that the hydraulic fluid for the drive chains that is in the axle housing behind the foot pedals should only be a couple inches deep up to the port on the front however there is a hole on top of it that is open and looks like there used to be a dipstick or plug in it and if you stick a dipstick in it it shows to be completely full to the top (maybe 10") with Pink/rust color creamy fluid. I am assuming it's almost all water with the hydraulic fluid that was in there. I plan on draining the fluid out and replacing it and was wondering if it would hurt anything in there if I flushed it with diesel in between the drain and fill? Is there a hydraulic filter for that compartment? The hour meter on the machine shows 510 hours and nothing really shows excessive wear but the Hydraulics are sluggish and when you lift the arms or extend the bucket dump cylinder it seems to whine a bit like it's having to work Harder than it should to fill the cylinders. I'm assuming that means the hydraulic pump is probably worn out but I don't know if you guys had any other ideas. Most of the hoses on the machine are in pretty bad shape but I replaced the only hose I found with it dripping leak Also has anybody tried to put the quick attach plate off an S70 or a 463 on a 453? I can't find any attachments with the old style small mount. Any info on this machine would be helpful thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
I thought there was a plug at the front of the chain case, the oil should be lever with the botton of the threads, so you are on the right track to drain the fluid and get any water out of it.
I'm with you on the pump, loader parts source have them, my dad had a 453 that i have to one day install a pump into, it has been sitting for many years without any use.

bobbie-g

I thought there was a plug at the front of the chain case, the oil should be lever with the botton of the threads, so you are on the right track to drain the fluid and get any water out of it.
I'm with you on the pump, loader parts source have them, my dad had a 453 that i have to one day install a pump into, it has been sitting for many years without any use.
I'm not familiar with a 453, but the larger machines don't have a filter associated with the chain case. Chain case is simple: just a housing full of oil that the drive chains and sprockets run in. At the 1000hr service, some of us drain/discard the chain case oil and refill with the used hydraulic oil, then top off with the cheapest new motor oil we can find. -- On the larger machines, there is a pipe plug as Tazza said at the front of the machine for a fill port. Oil should be at the bottom of that hole. Drain plug on the larger machines is under the back of the machine, about centered side to side, and under about the fwd edge of the engine. Remove a flat steel bar (three bolts) to find a couple of rubber grommets with steel plugs in them. The chain case drain is the one in the steel housing, and the plastic housing is the fuel tank. But again, this info refers to larger machines, I don't know about a 453. :) ---Bobbie-G in Trinidad, where you located in CO?

OP
OP
T

Tambo303

I'm not familiar with a 453, but the larger machines don't have a filter associated with the chain case. Chain case is simple: just a housing full of oil that the drive chains and sprockets run in. At the 1000hr service, some of us drain/discard the chain case oil and refill with the used hydraulic oil, then top off with the cheapest new motor oil we can find. -- On the larger machines, there is a pipe plug as Tazza said at the front of the machine for a fill port. Oil should be at the bottom of that hole. Drain plug on the larger machines is under the back of the machine, about centered side to side, and under about the fwd edge of the engine. Remove a flat steel bar (three bolts) to find a couple of rubber grommets with steel plugs in them. The chain case drain is the one in the steel housing, and the plastic housing is the fuel tank. But again, this info refers to larger machines, I don't know about a 453. :) ---Bobbie-G in Trinidad, where you located in CO?
Thanks for the info everyone! I am located in Loveland, CO but I drive all over the state on a regular basis to pick up equipment haha