442 Bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fishfiles

Here was a good deal for a change , the claw chrome rod of a 442 was bent and scrathed up deep and leaking bad , the rod was $1,650 and the seal kit was $350 plus ta at the dealer , took cylinder off and machine went back to work , took the rod to the machine shop who straightened it out then TIG welded the scrathes with stainless then grinded and buffed it out for $150 , took the seals to the local hydraulic seal supplier and he matched them up for $35 , saved about $2,000 on the job , it did take time , 3 days to be exact , and time is money

Tazza

Staff member
Very nice work.
I usually cut the rod off and machine new chrome bar for the thread to attach the piston. Seals are available at my local hydraulic seal shop cheap, usually $25 for a full set including piston seals.
One thing to watch is depending on how bad the bend was, you may have damaged your gland nut which will cause the seals to fail as you will have excessive clearance between the hole and the rod.
Glad you saved a bit of cash on that one.

skidsteer.ca

Very nice work.
I usually cut the rod off and machine new chrome bar for the thread to attach the piston. Seals are available at my local hydraulic seal shop cheap, usually $25 for a full set including piston seals.
One thing to watch is depending on how bad the bend was, you may have damaged your gland nut which will cause the seals to fail as you will have excessive clearance between the hole and the rod.
Glad you saved a bit of cash on that one.
Same here
Local machine shop stocks most diameters of cylinder rods and will replace the shaft for a modest fee compared to new from the dealer.
Ken

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

Same here
Local machine shop stocks most diameters of cylinder rods and will replace the shaft for a modest fee compared to new from the dealer.
Ken
I hear you on the chrome section of the rod replacement , I have done that on big rods for Cats and Komatsu that cost 3 grand up for just the chrome , and the savings is great , but usually I find most Bobcats rods are so small that the dealers prices isn't too bad compared to the price to rebuild and the wait time at the machine shop , this 442 seems an exception as it cost a fortune , have also played with rechroming but that doesn't seem to always stick good and peels off sometimes , but this procedure is even cheaper for me as long as there are not too many scrathes as my welder says don't want to do a rod that is totally scraed up , he TIG' sstainless steel into the gouges and grinds and buffs it out , and the only difference you see is the shine is a little duller , I am wondering how it would work on a hydraulic concrete breaker piston thats scrathed up Don