4 in 1 bucket

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Centurion

I am thinking about looking for a 4 in 1 bucket to help with the brush and tree removal I am working on. I was just wondering if the 4 in 1 or a grapple bucket would be the best way to go, and what do those types of things cost? Any help or inpout would be appreciated.

Fred

Tazza

Staff member
I'm a little bias here as i LOVE my 4 in 1.
A 4 in 1 can be used to grab a tree stump and pull it out of the ground, a grapple can't do the same job, its great for clean up as you can puck up every last bit of dirt. You can grab rocks, logs etc.
On the other hand, a grapple can puck up far more brush than a 4 in 1 can because the arms come down and hold it in place, a 4 in 1 when you try this kind of pushes a lot down and out of the jaws. They can collect more logs too.
I'm sure i missed features that the both have but its a start. There are times i wish i had a grapple but i couldn't live without my 4 in 1!!!! We Aussies are spoiled, all machines come with them as standard (for a cost of course).
Over here they are about $3,000.

TriHonu

Tazza hit all the high points, and I'll add a few more things to consider. I have a couple of 4 in1 buckets and a pan grapple. Grapples and 4 in1 buckets are designed to perform different tasks. I have used my 4 in 1 to pull lots of brush and pine stumps over 10 inches in diameter. The bigger stumps I pull in the Spring when the soil is saturated.
4 in 1 buckets are probably the most versitle attachment available. The one issue is their weight (700 - 950 lbs). Compared with a standard bucket, you can loose anywhere from 300-500 lbs of capacity. They usually have a shorter pan and less capacity in the bucket. You are trading capacity for versatility.
When you grab smaller objects grab them in the center of the bucket. This keeps the closing force evenly spread across the pan. If you grab an object at the far left of the bucket the right cylinder is not pushing against anything and can twist the pan of the bucket. If you have to grab something at the edge, use just enough force to hold it.
If you are going to use the bucket for a lot of dozing, or if you are working in abrasive materials you should consider a bucket with three bolt on cutting edges. Most 4 in 1's have all the cutting edges welded in with the option of a bolt on cutting edge on the front of the bucket. Vernig Manufacturing is one of the few that make a 4 in 1 with bolt on edges at the rear of the pan and the dozing edge.
Here are just some of the uses. The example for Backdrag below also works in forward and allows you to make a small cut without diving into the grade. The excess material gathers in the bucket and will fill in the low spots as you pass over them.
4in1Applications.jpg

bobcat_ron

Tazza hit all the high points, and I'll add a few more things to consider. I have a couple of 4 in1 buckets and a pan grapple. Grapples and 4 in1 buckets are designed to perform different tasks. I have used my 4 in 1 to pull lots of brush and pine stumps over 10 inches in diameter. The bigger stumps I pull in the Spring when the soil is saturated.
4 in 1 buckets are probably the most versitle attachment available. The one issue is their weight (700 - 950 lbs). Compared with a standard bucket, you can loose anywhere from 300-500 lbs of capacity. They usually have a shorter pan and less capacity in the bucket. You are trading capacity for versatility.
When you grab smaller objects grab them in the center of the bucket. This keeps the closing force evenly spread across the pan. If you grab an object at the far left of the bucket the right cylinder is not pushing against anything and can twist the pan of the bucket. If you have to grab something at the edge, use just enough force to hold it.
If you are going to use the bucket for a lot of dozing, or if you are working in abrasive materials you should consider a bucket with three bolt on cutting edges. Most 4 in 1's have all the cutting edges welded in with the option of a bolt on cutting edge on the front of the bucket. Vernig Manufacturing is one of the few that make a 4 in 1 with bolt on edges at the rear of the pan and the dozing edge.
Here are just some of the uses. The example for Backdrag below also works in forward and allows you to make a small cut without diving into the grade. The excess material gathers in the bucket and will fill in the low spots as you pass over them.
I do love my combo as well, I have teeth on the bucket which I have yet to encounter any gravel or hard packed soil I can't dig through, but the weight is an issue, I only use it for jobs where I am going to be picking up dirt off a flat surface and there is no shovel or wall near by. Bobcat's combo buckets aren't the best, they use a soft metal which wears rather fast and they twist and bend real easy. Nice thing too, is with teeth on the front, I can still scrape the pavement clean with the edge on the mould board of the bucket and clam the left overs.

OP
OP
C

Centurion

I do love my combo as well, I have teeth on the bucket which I have yet to encounter any gravel or hard packed soil I can't dig through, but the weight is an issue, I only use it for jobs where I am going to be picking up dirt off a flat surface and there is no shovel or wall near by. Bobcat's combo buckets aren't the best, they use a soft metal which wears rather fast and they twist and bend real easy. Nice thing too, is with teeth on the front, I can still scrape the pavement clean with the edge on the mould board of the bucket and clam the left overs.
thanks for the info, I guess I will be shopping for a 4 in 1 as it looks the most versatile for what I am doing

OP
OP
C

Centurion

thanks for the info, I guess I will be shopping for a 4 in 1 as it looks the most versatile for what I am doing
well due to my cousin's bad luck ( he flipped his 642, and then it caught fire!) until he finds all the parts he needs to repair his, he is loaning me his 4 in 1 bucket. He is going to install the spare v1702 I bought with my 743, he has to find either a scrapped 642/743 or find the plastic parts that melted ( fan shroud etc.) If anyone knows where one might be in Va., Or west Va. Let me know, I will pass it on.

Fred

Tazza

Staff member
well due to my cousin's bad luck ( he flipped his 642, and then it caught fire!) until he finds all the parts he needs to repair his, he is loaning me his 4 in 1 bucket. He is going to install the spare v1702 I bought with my 743, he has to find either a scrapped 642/743 or find the plastic parts that melted ( fan shroud etc.) If anyone knows where one might be in Va., Or west Va. Let me know, I will pass it on.

Fred
Talk to your dealer, they will still have blower housings available. I bought one for my 743 a few years back and it was around 400 AUD so you should get it cheaper than that.
If it was only a minor fire the damage shouldn't be too bad. I wish him luck in getting it going again.

Tazza

Staff member
Talk to your dealer, they will still have blower housings available. I bought one for my 743 a few years back and it was around 400 AUD so you should get it cheaper than that.
If it was only a minor fire the damage shouldn't be too bad. I wish him luck in getting it going again.
I forgot to ask, did he get out ok? i'm guessing it wasn't like it just caught fire as soon as it tipped.

OP
OP
C

Centurion

I forgot to ask, did he get out ok? i'm guessing it wasn't like it just caught fire as soon as it tipped.
He got out fine, I have not gotten the particulars on the whole event yet. He only got minor bumps and scrapes. thanks for asking