337 Losing Power (Tried everything) need new thoughts

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

7LBSSMALLIE

question could this be more of a black stacking rather than a power issue? as in hyd are demandining more than eng can deliver, therby bogging eng down and throwing smoke? or is it the other way as in eng cant deliver . but you ran comp check on eng,(right) did all the fuel and air things? confirmed no parristic load as in alt or wp..
another thought is ex fuel tanks have somewhat of a sump at drain plug, does not hold much but will show extent of contaim,

melli

"Oil Pressure Alarm not functional" Although we haven't heard from Peter for some time, my take is that the engine oil pump is not working 'fully' or one of the oil passages is clogged. Although in a completely different machine, a motorcycle, I had the same symptoms happen to me. I tore down and rebuilt the engine, but I left a metal shaving in it...it got stuck in one of the oil passages. I'd have full power for a few minutes, then a progressively louder tap to knocking sound, and power would fall off, until all I could do was idle. With an engine with a water jacket, it would probably keep temps from going out of control. A IR thermometer would likely find the hot spot and the place to look...

melli

"Oil Pressure Alarm not functional" Although we haven't heard from Peter for some time, my take is that the engine oil pump is not working 'fully' or one of the oil passages is clogged. Although in a completely different machine, a motorcycle, I had the same symptoms happen to me. I tore down and rebuilt the engine, but I left a metal shaving in it...it got stuck in one of the oil passages. I'd have full power for a few minutes, then a progressively louder tap to knocking sound, and power would fall off, until all I could do was idle. With an engine with a water jacket, it would probably keep temps from going out of control. A IR thermometer would likely find the hot spot and the place to look...
I take back what I said above.... I stumbled onto this... http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/bobcat-construction-equipment/257836-bobcat-863-losing-power.html Primer bulb?

7LBSSMALLIE

I take back what I said above.... I stumbled onto this... http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/bobcat-construction-equipment/257836-bobcat-863-losing-power.html Primer bulb?
just curious has this issue been resovled, do you need further help? and melie dont feel all alone, i did a frame up rebuild on a 76 triminph bonny chopper didnt pull the crank plug. years of dirt went straight to crank. enough to hang anail in crank score , looking at now three years later and there she sits, a box o parts needing alittle macine work, but heart went out of project when my first ride on her didnt get out of garage., and yea broke a skirt on dissambley. now need a turn , oversize brgs and one piston. 300 bucks and two days from riding a classic., was so digusted it still sits.

SkidRoe

just curious has this issue been resovled, do you need further help? and melie dont feel all alone, i did a frame up rebuild on a 76 triminph bonny chopper didnt pull the crank plug. years of dirt went straight to crank. enough to hang anail in crank score , looking at now three years later and there she sits, a box o parts needing alittle macine work, but heart went out of project when my first ride on her didnt get out of garage., and yea broke a skirt on dissambley. now need a turn , oversize brgs and one piston. 300 bucks and two days from riding a classic., was so digusted it still sits.
Hey smallie, you should have bought a Norton - LoL. Actually, I had a similar experience with a 70 Commando that I restored for a guy. I was told that the motor was in good shape and that it would only need cosmetic work. It seemed to run not too badly, so I believed him. I had the whole bike complete and had it idling on the bench setting up the carbs. Suddenly - NACK! NACK! NACK! - and it quit. Pulled the rocker covers and the plugs, and cranked it over slowly. The right hand intake cam follower was hanging up, and the valve was being driven shut by the piston. So the motor came out (again), and was totally torn down. Turned out, at some point, the stellite tip on one of the cam followers had come off and fallen into the bottom end. The PO only replaced the follower and had made no attempt to clean out the bottom end. I fished out a chunk of smashed stellite the size of a dime, as well as a bunch of other shrapnel. The only things below the head that I was able to salvage were the cases, the barrels and the crank. It is now one of the sweetest running motors that I have ever built.

melli

7LBSSMALLIE - oh god, don't bring it up again...lol Painful thinking about my baby. Although not a 'classic' like yours or Skid, it was my fav bike of all time, a 750 Hondamatic. Chromed it up, and had to tear it down after the metal shaving...sat it boxes after a second teardown, then unceremoniously sent to the dump... What a waste....

mahans7

7LBSSMALLIE - oh god, don't bring it up again...lol Painful thinking about my baby. Although not a 'classic' like yours or Skid, it was my fav bike of all time, a 750 Hondamatic. Chromed it up, and had to tear it down after the metal shaving...sat it boxes after a second teardown, then unceremoniously sent to the dump... What a waste....
Hey smallie, I'd come over and help you get started on that Triumph if I lived closer(I'm in Alabama). Maybe one of our members here can swing by and help you get started. Only 2 days from riding a classic!

Although I should'nt talk, my 1969 Honda CL175 still sits in my parents garage with a bent cam chain(I forgot to tighten it after a quick diassemble that turned out to be an empty gas tank) and 34 years later its still there. But one day.

7LBSSMALLIE

Hey smallie, I'd come over and help you get started on that Triumph if I lived closer(I'm in Alabama). Maybe one of our members here can swing by and help you get started. Only 2 days from riding a classic!

Although I should'nt talk, my 1969 Honda CL175 still sits in my parents garage with a bent cam chain(I forgot to tighten it after a quick diassemble that turned out to be an empty gas tank) and 34 years later its still there. But one day.
thanks guys reminds me of an old credenace clearwater classic,( the one i should have listened too before my dad passed) SOMEDAY NEVER COMES.

mahans7

thanks guys reminds me of an old credenace clearwater classic,( the one i should have listened too before my dad passed) SOMEDAY NEVER COMES.
Smallie, so now its time to RUN THROUGH THE JUNGLE..... and don't look back. (Used to hear it a lot when we were stationed in Guam during the Vietnam war).

blackwahl62

Smallie, so now its time to RUN THROUGH THE JUNGLE..... and don't look back. (Used to hear it a lot when we were stationed in Guam during the Vietnam war).
I know this is an old post, but I had the same issue after rebuilding rexroth pump, its the adjustment on the hp controller on pump, it is a pain to set. It kinda acts like a gear ratio adjuster for hydraulics once the machine goes under load, if its not adjusted properly it wont compensate, engine will bog out possibly stall just moving forwards or back. I have a pdf of service manual if anyone needs the adjustment specs, however you will need gauges and special equipment to dial in.

7LBSSMALLIE

I know this is an old post, but I had the same issue after rebuilding rexroth pump, its the adjustment on the hp controller on pump, it is a pain to set. It kinda acts like a gear ratio adjuster for hydraulics once the machine goes under load, if its not adjusted properly it wont compensate, engine will bog out possibly stall just moving forwards or back. I have a pdf of service manual if anyone needs the adjustment specs, however you will need gauges and special equipment to dial in.
sorry guys she still sits the bonney. cut the jugs got the oversized pistions and rings thought id slick willy the rings in with hose clamps. not so much busted the oil ring and placed on back burner. 1 yr ago yea 1 oil ring is the hold up. SHAME ON ME. yea ive heard from the old lady so yea 7 bucks extendeds project out 1 more year.

Schmidy

"The biggest problem is you can't confirm if its the engine or a hydraulic component loading the engine down....." Absolutely....that is the problem. Yes....engine smokes when it loads down. Forgot to mention that I have played with the fuel adjustment on the side of the injection pump, didn't really do that much (blow white or black smoke depending on the way you go), no real preformace change. Smoke is much more pronounced when engine is loading down.
Check the screws on the rod that runs across the 4 injectors is tight

Latest posts