331D weird electrical problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RussB

Hi all, I have a 2004 331d with 4700 hours on it. I bought it new and until now I have never had a problem with it. the story goes, I hauled it to a job and unloaded it and shut it off. 30 minutes later I went to start it, when I turned the key on, the warning light come on, it went to glow plug for 30 seconds (never went that long before) and the temp gauge went to full hot and stayed there. I checked everything over the best I could and found nothing unplugged or broke. I started it and ran it all day with no problem, using a digital temp gauge, it never ran above 170 degrees. I checked with a digital volt meter and it never would go above 12.5 volts. I started it many times and the volts never changed. I took the alternator off and had it checked, it was putting out 14.1 volts on the testing machine but on the machine it reads 12.5 volts only. I have checked it at the battery (which is new), starter and alternator, all reads 12.5 volts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Russ

Tazza

Staff member
The temp gauge could possibly be a sender in the thermostat housing.
When running, that voltage is a bit low, it should be 14-14.4v It sounds like something is stopping the alternator charging properly. It shouldn't make the gauges go weird like that though.

Latest posts