328 leaking near center of bottom plate on ground (between tracks)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

328 guy

I was wondering if someone had an idea before I went tearing into a used 328 I purchased which was leaking... Its leaking hydraulic fluid near the center of the carriage on the ground between the two tracks. Someone mentioned to me awhile back regarding a specific hose or something which rubs and leaks but I can't recall what that was. I wish I had a exploded view of the hydraulic system and how to access it best...wonder if anyone has a scan of it they've uploaded. How do you go about getting access to the center area...is it best to do it from removing the plates from the top or...It appears that there is an access plate from the bottom...I wonder if it is the swivel joint? I guess my main problem is knowing which way to acess the parts...it could be any one fitting or hose that is leaking. I was kind of hoping to hear someone say look here...this is a real common problem etc. The unit has about 1400 hours on it. Thanks in advanced!

Fishfiles

I would start by removing the belly pan as it is only 4 bolts and 2 of them should be slotted , if they are not slotted it will make it easier to put back if you cut a slot in the holes , could be one of the travel motor or dozer hoses , a oring on a fitting , the swivel ( rotary manifold ) seals , could be leaking from above the turn table into the belly , but the worst case senerio would be thats it's leaking from the swing output shaft seal

OP
OP

328 guy

I would start by removing the belly pan as it is only 4 bolts and 2 of them should be slotted , if they are not slotted it will make it easier to put back if you cut a slot in the holes , could be one of the travel motor or dozer hoses , a oring on a fitting , the swivel ( rotary manifold ) seals , could be leaking from above the turn table into the belly , but the worst case senerio would be thats it's leaking from the swing output shaft seal
Thank you for your response. I know it was a sort of vague question where it could be just about anything knowing no one has a crystal ball. I did see those four bolts using a mirror. Do you have a suggested method for accessing them. It's not like you can set it up on jack stands like a car or truck. It would be nice to be able to drive over pit and work from under there. I was thinking using stacked wood planks, but that is alot of wood to get it to a necessary working height. Do you or anyone happen to have a parts diagram of the area?

Fishfiles

Thank you for your response. I know it was a sort of vague question where it could be just about anything knowing no one has a crystal ball. I did see those four bolts using a mirror. Do you have a suggested method for accessing them. It's not like you can set it up on jack stands like a car or truck. It would be nice to be able to drive over pit and work from under there. I was thinking using stacked wood planks, but that is alot of wood to get it to a necessary working height. Do you or anyone happen to have a parts diagram of the area?
I use 6x6 blocks about a foot long , two stacked on each corner , use the boom and dozer blade to get it up

OP
OP

328 guy

I use 6x6 blocks about a foot long , two stacked on each corner , use the boom and dozer blade to get it up
You mean cinder blocks? Good call. I should have some 12x12 blocks sitting around. I'm assuming you used a piece of wood on the top of each block then to distribute the load over the block? They are very strong and can carry a load if the load is distrubuted over the core and face shell. I don't think I'd feel comfortable in such a tight small space with a 7000lb object not far from my body if it wasn' t 100% completely secure. Do you happen to have a parts diagram of the belly area by chance? It would be nice to see the components listed before I crack into this.

Tazza

Staff member
You mean cinder blocks? Good call. I should have some 12x12 blocks sitting around. I'm assuming you used a piece of wood on the top of each block then to distribute the load over the block? They are very strong and can carry a load if the load is distrubuted over the core and face shell. I don't think I'd feel comfortable in such a tight small space with a 7000lb object not far from my body if it wasn' t 100% completely secure. Do you happen to have a parts diagram of the belly area by chance? It would be nice to see the components listed before I crack into this.
Be careful with blocks like that, as you konw, they can handle a lot of force if its spread out, but if it goes.... I'd make sure i'd use multiple blocks, if one does crack you have others to take its place. 3 and a bit tonnes on top of you makes for a rather bad day.
Depending on the dirt you have, i'd have looked at making my own pit, dig a shallow trench, lay down some ply and scoot under.

frogfarmer

I would never use cinder blocks to hold the weight of a machine that might crush me. Cinder blocks are brittle and can go at the smallest change in load. I'm sure he was refering to hard wood blocks or at least wood blocks. I have spent hours under caterpillars in the 30ton range with hardwood(oak) blocks supporting the weight of the unit. I have seen cinder blocks explode from excess weight setting mobile homes. Probably only 10,000 lbs or so and when they go they go all at once. Dont risk your life with cinder blocks get some good wooden blocks and keep them around for the next project.

OP
OP

328 guy

I would never use cinder blocks to hold the weight of a machine that might crush me. Cinder blocks are brittle and can go at the smallest change in load. I'm sure he was refering to hard wood blocks or at least wood blocks. I have spent hours under caterpillars in the 30ton range with hardwood(oak) blocks supporting the weight of the unit. I have seen cinder blocks explode from excess weight setting mobile homes. Probably only 10,000 lbs or so and when they go they go all at once. Dont risk your life with cinder blocks get some good wooden blocks and keep them around for the next project.
I suppose you may be correct. Though the compressive strengh of cement is very high. It's important to distribute the load across the block so not to stress one area greater than another. No arguements here though, I'll probably make some wooden blocks. I thought about a trench too... Does anyone have a parts diagram of the belly area? I have a service manual I've downloaded but its not list an exploded view or map of the lines. Thanks again everyone for your advice!