287B, new to me machine: need to throttle up to move???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Zippytude

Hi Guys, I have a 2004 287B. question is this: when its sitting, running at an idle...should I be able to get movement out of it? At an idle, the loader is responsive. BUT I need to gradually increase hand throttle to about (1/3)1300-1400 RPM before machine will move forward, back, turn etc. at this 1300-1400 rpm it just barely creeps but it does respond in all directions equally. when I'm full throttle it appears fine to me with no slippage pushing etc...but its a new machine to me. My previous case 60xt would power the loader and final drives at idle. Is there something wrong with my 287B drive pump or are they all like this? ideas?

Tazza

Staff member
Even at idle, the machine should move and operate, it will just not have full power. I wonder what could be stopping it from moving at idle.

OP
OP
Z

Zippytude

Charge psi is too low.
Is there a separate charge pump on these or just the main drive pump? any check valves, pressure reliefs or hidden in-line filters I should be looking at? I sure wish the manuals were less expensive!

knogen

Is there a separate charge pump on these or just the main drive pump? any check valves, pressure reliefs or hidden in-line filters I should be looking at? I sure wish the manuals were less expensive!
charge pump is gear pump on end, at idle should be 464 psi check on right side of pump(standing at front looking back) speed sensing is on left side it should be 131 +/- 29 at idle could also effect could also be pilot psi to pump. not bad to test if you know what you are doing.

knogen

You can download a service manual at Trackloaderparts.com

OP
OP
Z

Zippytude

thanks but it seems like everything else with CAT; they have it locked up and you can't access those specific manuals.
so my charge pump is a CAT 238-7642 and I see some approx. 1 1/2" sized low pressure hoses. What do these test ports look like? or am I to "T" into a line to test pressures?

Tazza

Staff member
so my charge pump is a CAT 238-7642 and I see some approx. 1 1/2" sized low pressure hoses. What do these test ports look like? or am I to "T" into a line to test pressures?
Normally to test charge pressure, you T into the line that goes to the hydraulic filter, for the main hydraulic pressure you hook up to an aux coupler and operate the hydraulics.
Charge pressure you can't dead head the line as it needs to be open to supply the pumps, but the aux hydraulics you can block off.

knogen

test ports on side of hystat pump. right is charge, has a black rubber cap on it tried to put on a pic but cant figure out how to post pic I can give you the part # of the coupler you need to hook to test port

SkidRoe

test ports on side of hystat pump. right is charge, has a black rubber cap on it tried to put on a pic but cant figure out how to post pic I can give you the part # of the coupler you need to hook to test port
To post a picture, go to the User Questions page and look for Eric's Picture Posting Tutorial, mid way down the page. HTH - SR

knogen

6v4144 is part number for coupler for test ports