280II random brake activation

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pnhigg

I have a JD 280II skid steer. Starting a while back the machine will randomly, intermittently set the brake, while moving. When the brake engages, the brake light comes on, but nothing else, and all the hydraulic functions are locked. Cycling the brake switch will release the solenoid and the machine will move again. Sometimes it will operate for several hours without issue, sometimes it will lock again in a few minutes. I have bypassed the operator presence switch, the seatbelt switch, and replaced the brake switch beside the ignition switch trying to isolate the issue. No change. It has never activated the brake while sitting still, which makes me think there may be a short, but I have checked much of the wiring and find no issues. I have also added the wiring pigtail to the instrument panel that contains a fuse and relay that is supposed to protect the panel. I am at a loss, and would love any help. Thanks, Patrick

Tazza

Staff member
Could it be a seat or seat bar switch? when it thinks you are not in the machine, it will lock the brakes. Is that possible?

farmshop

Could it be a seat or seat bar switch? when it thinks you are not in the machine, it will lock the brakes. Is that possible?
Also check the seat belt. We used to have to replace the female socket every year or so

OP
OP
P

pnhigg

Also check the seat belt. We used to have to replace the female socket every year or so
still trying to sort this thing out. I bypassed both the operator, and seatbelt switch. (I did not leave them bypassed, but in trying to diagnose, I bypassed both), and replaced the break switch. No change. It seems to have gotten a bit more consistent in that once you start the machine, it will generally set the brake after 4-5 minutes, and then again shortly after. In most instances, after the second lockup, it operates as it should the remainder of the day. any other ideas thanks for the help so far.

deereman83

still trying to sort this thing out. I bypassed both the operator, and seatbelt switch. (I did not leave them bypassed, but in trying to diagnose, I bypassed both), and replaced the break switch. No change. It seems to have gotten a bit more consistent in that once you start the machine, it will generally set the brake after 4-5 minutes, and then again shortly after. In most instances, after the second lockup, it operates as it should the remainder of the day. any other ideas thanks for the help so far.
Have you ruled out park brake solenoid?

piatt acres

we had this same issue. found some shorted wires with seat belt and seat switch but after replacing and repairing them all, ended up to be the control/console panel above that had a short in it. holler if you need more specifics