242 fuel pump shot, or what?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bkvanbek

After sitting for a couple weeks my 242b was occasionally running rough. I changed the fuel filter but the primer would not fill the filter, after hundreds for pumps, so it would not start. With the filter off should the primer dump fuel out the opening? Is the fuel pump shot?

bobcat_ron

It might be the primer itself, the correct way to change a filter is: DO NOT FILL THE FILTER WITH FUEL FIRST!!! Thread the empty filter on and tighten, plunge the primer up and down until it is tight, then start the engine at 1/3 throttle, if it stalls, re-prime.
If you have to do more than 50 pumps, I'd say the primer assembly is shot.
And the reason you do not fill the filter first is because you are putting raw, un filtered fuel into the canister, so any dirty fuel makes it's way to the inkection pump.

OP
OP
B

bkvanbek

It might be the primer itself, the correct way to change a filter is: DO NOT FILL THE FILTER WITH FUEL FIRST!!! Thread the empty filter on and tighten, plunge the primer up and down until it is tight, then start the engine at 1/3 throttle, if it stalls, re-prime.
If you have to do more than 50 pumps, I'd say the primer assembly is shot.
And the reason you do not fill the filter first is because you are putting raw, un filtered fuel into the canister, so any dirty fuel makes it's way to the inkection pump.
Thanks for answering, I took apart the fuel pump and there was little yellow plastic shavings caught in the check valves, from a fuel can. Once cleared the hand primer and fuel pump worked fine.